SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingitourhome_gw

Investing in a small home as your "forever home"

makingitourhome
10 years ago

Good morning all,

As a small homeowner myself, I am constantly torn about our long-term plans with this house. I have grand visions for everything this house could be, regardless of its small footprint. However, I worry if I am being foolish in thinking that this tiny home is worth everything that I want to put into it, even if I think this house could easily be our "forever home."

Hubby and I have no kids, and we have no intentions of ever going down that road. So, with only two (plus a cat and a dog), this home is a perfect size for us. Really, I can't imagine needing any more space for two people - as it is, we have two rooms that we barely use. Also, I worked in real estate for a few years, and I can tell you that I have seen many a house in this area... and none of them, in my heart, come anywhere close to this house. We live on the top of a hill, facing the sun, and this tiny home has - no lie - over 30 windows. There is so much natural light in this home, I can usually go almost all day without ever having to turn on a light - such a blessing. Overall... I am in love.

However, I dream of more luxurious amenities in this house. Custom cabinetry, quartz counters, custom moldings/wood working, and higher-end windows. I imagine a clawfoot tub in our little bathroom and cerrara marble tiles. I can picture new siding and higher-end windows, and carving out a spot in our hill for a garden and hot tub.

But does that make sense? I feel like "small home" conveys modesty and living within a smaller budget, and I am sure any real estate agent would think I was crazy to want such fine things in such a small house (in a relatively-modest neighborhood, no less.) Should I dream of these things for this house, or resign myself to either living luxuriously in a larger home, or living modestly in this one?

Mind you, it's not like we make a fortune... I work at a non-profit agency and I absolutely adore my job, so long term, I don't see my salary suddenly skyrocketing. But being dual income with no kids, we are at least afforded more wiggle room when it comes to our salaries.

Also, as a side note... am I selfish to want such luxuries? I know that is more a question of morals, and maybe not meant for this forum... but sometimes I do feel guilty for wanting some of the "finer things in life," knowing that I work for a non-profit which serves the underprivileged in our community. Seems oxymoronic... but I love great design and beautiful things and the idea creating a little piece of heaven for my little family of two.

Thoughts?

Comments (24)