SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
setthestage

"Forever home" help

Shelby
7 years ago

This will be our forever home basically! We've spent years waiting for this time and thinking about what we want and now we actually have the land (we live in Texas)! So I'd love some input from all the great minds here.

Here are our general must haves:

-room for 4ish kids (currently have two young girls) while keeping the size under control (>3,000 square feet for sure)

-main living areas and master on first floor for best "aging in place" but we like a two story look to the exterior

-split floor plan

-back access to master closet and bath (my firefighter husband has to sleep during the day some)

-outdoor living space is important

-separate guest entrance

-lots of natural light and a good flow/open floor plan are very important

-don't want it to feel like a brand new "drywall box"

This house has a detached garage and we would do a circle drive so guests could pull up at the front door. On the (very rough) site map the darker green is the 7 acres we will be purchasing from my in laws, the blue shapes are what we intend to build (not there yet) everything else is existing. Our driveway must run along the power lines and then cut north into our acreage. We like the idea of running it along the west fence line after it cuts north (provides a great view of the back 60 on the drive out) and then curving back in to the house site potentially. The orientation of the house is not set in stone. I want good light in the living areas and love morning sun in my bedroom. The living room has upper story windows, we think this will help get enough light as the lot is heavily treed. We can clear as needed but we don't want to clear too much as the huge power lines may become visible from the house then. Also note there is a second story bedroom and bathroom over the kitchen not shown. Our exterior materials will be very different than what's shown.

I'd love your thoughts on the house orientation and/or anything you see as a flaw in this plan or an improvement that could be made before we take all of our ideas to the architect as he's requested. Obviously we'll be open to his critique as well!

Comments (36)