Mushroom Ragout challenge

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I have 3 pounds of fresh criminis. One pound dried wild, 1/2 pound dried shitaki. Found a NYtimes recipe, Martha Rose Shulman, for ragout made ahead and used in multiple dishes. Can be frozen as well. Recipe link, HERE

SaveComment14Like2
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

She uses it as a stand-in for traditional gravy. I like that idea for maybe pork. Even chicken.

My list so far is an egg frittata. Risotto, that then becomes arancini. (maybe tomorrow night). Arancini freezes nice.

Save    

We have a big snow storm hitting tomorrow starting around noon. Lots of storm prep...meal planning for at least through next Wednesday. Still cleaning the freezer shelf by shelf taking my time. Labeled 2018 does not get wasted but goes in the pup food rotation. (they eat good). Stocks, grains, veg, fish, nothing heavily seasoned.

This looks good. Creamy Wild Mushroom and Parsnip Soup. Link, HERE

No cream. Good color adding a carrot. NYT is my go-to now with a new format. I realize there is a pay-wall but I change things a bit and will post the recipes as I go. I think I'll use additional roasted garlic and leek.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Sleevendog, stay safe! We've been following the storm track on the Weather Channel :-0.

Save    
plllog

I make something fairly similar, slightly different. I made some for New Year's but ran out of time and energy. Saved it, having forgotten, before it went bad. I made a big dish of chicken and biscuits in layers for even distribution, and put the mushrooms on top under the biscuits. They livened up the flavor of the filling, and were heavenly with the herbed biscuits. I kept saving both out to eat together.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

we are in the middle of snowmageddon here ... hunker down, comfort food and plenty of ... s ......leep

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, be prepared, winter has got to come sometimes. We're supposed to get a storm here too, so of course the farrier is scheduled for tomorrow at noon to trim hooves. I'm kind of figuring we'll have to reschedule, LOL.

Last weekend, though, we had the weather people running in circles screaming the sky was falling. Big Storm. Ice, snow, wind, 15 inches of snow, gonna be bad. We got about 1/4 inch of ice, lost power for two hours. Got about an inch of snow. Weather people love the drama. I keep asking Elery when 3 inches of snow even became a winter snow warning here in Michigan, geez.

The mushrooms sound good. While you are cleaning your freezer I'll keep you company sorting through the winter squash in storage, I'm betting I'll have a few that need cooking and tomorrow will be the perfect day to have the oven on for a while.

Stay warm!

Annie

Save    
chickadee2_gw

There’s a restaurant near me that serves a wonderful mushroom appetizer:

Wild Mushroom Ragout finished with dry sherry and cream and gruyere gratin.

It looks like the recipe might be similar to this without the herb crumb crust and Madeira wine. I haven’t had it for a while, but I think the restaurant uses more gruyere than what this recipe calls for. The top has a nice amount of melted cheese. The restaurant doesn’t mention Parmesan cheese.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/2127-mushrooms-in-cream-and-sherry-herb-crust

Save    
plllog

Speaking of Swiss cheese, I had the last of the mushrooms on an herbed biscuit covered in too much melty gooey Ementhaller. SO good!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has 2 wonderful recipes in his every day veg book, one red wine ragout with soft polenta and another with white wine and orzo.

1 Like Save    

This is going to be great! I was planning a brunch menu and it is changing now. It's a month away but good ideas above.

I'm liking Hugh's book. The first recipe came up in a google search.

I have not made the big batch yet. Just a frittata test this morning. Used the smaller package of creminis. Shallots, garlic. White wine. Just a quickie. The ragout will be much better.

I expected some of the mushroom to rise to the top. Did not. Will be better next time. Got a bit lazy about grating other cheeses with storm clearing.

3 Likes Save    

I used the recipe as written in the original post. Excellent. I did pulse the soaked dried in the cuisinart. Wood ear can sometimes stay a bit chewy. 4 cup pyrex, soaked was near 3 cups and lots of mushroom liquor. Froze 4 1/2 pints.

Made a ragu with smoke/roasted Hatch chilis, a risotto and a batch of arancini.

Scoop, cube of fresh mozzarella, scoop to seal. So good. Ate a few, froze these.

1 Like Save    
Lars

I keep lots of dried mushrooms on hand - mostly porcini - and I always have mushrooms in the fridge.

I make a similar dish to the first recipe you posted, but without rosemary, even though I have a huge rosemary bush in my back yard. For me, a little rosemary goes a long way, and it can easily be overpowering. I mostly use thyme instead.

When I make quesadillas, I make them with fresh masa and deep fry them. They are best made with mushrooms (or huitlacoche) and Oaxacan cheese, which is similar to mozzarella. Fresh masa is somewhat similar to polenta in terms of flavor.

I love risotto also and think I would like the orzo version. Thanks for the inspirations.

Save    

Strange winter so far in the NorthEast. My rosemary is still alive under snow. Not had any weather below 25 to speak of. (I should move it to the garage and might have a big plant saved)

Nothing compares to dried porcini. For some reason my forest blend has porcini so maybe they sent me the wrong bag.

Marcela Hazan was my first cookbooks, the small two paperbacks when I moved to NY so many years ago. Her mushroom risotto recipe is so dear to my soul. Never disappoints.

I should mention that I took out the 4 1/2 pints for the freezer, then 3 cups for the risotto. I only added the small amount of flour for the ragu. Oh, totally forgot the mushroom gravy I used for the pork roast. That was spectacular. What a recipe, so easy, so many meals.

The ragu...

Save    
l pinkmountain

Yum. Yeah, I know it's not a very interesting or sophisticated comment, probably adds nothing to the discussion, but Wow, yum! I'm jealous.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Cottage Style 8 Challenges of Cottage Living
‘Small rooms or dwellings discipline the mind,’ Leonardo da Vinci once said. Just how much discipline can you handle?
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Minimalism in a Pastoral Mood
Local materials help a Connecticut farmhouse look right at home, while its simplicity fits the owners’ aesthetic
Full Story
Most Popular Wisdom to Help Your Relationship Survive a Remodel
Spend less time patching up partnerships and more time spackling and sanding with this insight from a Houzz remodeling survey
Full Story