SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruphisrenonv

Lasagne garden challenge

ruphisrenonv
16 years ago

Have 2 raised 2.5 x 10' lasagne beds I put in early March. I layered with dried leaves, produce waste from grocery store, dried straw, grass clippings, more dried leaves etc. and topped off last 3 inches with store bought Kellogg's brand compost/mulch. I let the beds sit for 6 weeks prior to planting anything in them. In one bed I planted petunias to companion with green beans and cucumbers and in the other bed I have 3 tomatoes, 3 basil and 3 marigolds. Two of the cucumber seedlings wilted and died which got me searching for a cause. I discovered the bed is infested with fungus gnats and now both beds keep popping up mounds of toadstools/mushrooms.

After reading I understand that the larvae of the gnats are probably feeding on the seedling roots and the adults don't bother with the plants. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth on the top of the beds and a few days later smashed up mosquito dunks which I soaked in water and poured into the beds. I also have a yellow sticky card which is covered now with gnats.

Does anybody have any other suggestions regarding the gnats and also, what do I do about the toadstools/mushrooms? I am not going to attempt to put in the beans and replant cukes until this mess is somewhat under control. The toadstool clusters are anywhere from 3 to 5 inches across and I would imagine trying to keep seeds moist these things will uproot them. Thanks for your help !!!

Comments (4)