SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandramort

Need help planning raised bed lasagne garden

SandraMort
11 years ago

Let's see. I'm not a total beginner but I'm doing things very differently and in a larger scale than I ever have before.

I'm lasagne/no till gardening with the goal of putting frames around the raised beds to be able to use the beds for the next few years. We are blocking out the space with cardboard and lot of compost to get an idea for how much space I really have, but I've come to to the conclusion that I' doing it backwards.

See, I think that ideally the order SHOULD be to daydream about the plants over the winter, then decide how many of each I can use, then make up a map to decide where it goes. That way when it's April, I know what I need to do.

Unfortunately, I moved 4/1 so none of that good stuff happened. No daydreaming and poring over web sites and catalogues, no rearranging floor plans in my head, no prep work. My husband is helping me to create the beds, but I haven't a clue how many square feet I need!!!

So far, we've blocked out two beds that are about 3' x 20' plus 18" x 6' for the 5 and 8 year olds. The 12 year old hasn't decided for sure but will likely get one right next to theirs (it's all very parallel and anal) and I have no idea what the teenager wants.

But if I don't know how many plants I NEED, I'm not sure where to go from there. I can tell you how much food we need, but not how to convert that into numbers of plants. I have two adults, two teenagers/tweens, two young kids.

I don't have the space to do heavy duty seed starting but I can do some in paper towels .

I'm really tired. I'm sure it's half coherent and missing bits. My apologies!
Sandra

Comments (3)