Stupid question - mango?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

In my Misfits box was a mango, sticker says "Keitt Mango." It was quite hard so I assumed it was not ripe. I just checked and it is still hard but is getting bad spots. I guess I'm going to have to do something with it pretty quickly. Does mango freeze OK if I cut it into chunks to use in a smoothie someday?

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

No stupid questions. I have one as well. I just put it in the fridge and may cut it tomorrow and see what's up. No spots on mine. I know for the freezer it is best to peel and/or cut up. (I've done that)...chunks

I have been wanting to make a mango, grapefruit, cucumber, feta, pickled red onion,Thai basil salad over greens but it is still firm.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I just checked mine. It has some give now....took two weeks.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Thanks, sleevendog! I am afraid if I let this one sit until it starts to get soft there won't be anything usable left, the bad spots are pretty good size. I will peel & chunk it up tonight and get it in the freezer. I have strawberries already frozen so maybe Thursday I can make my smoothie and see how it does (tomorrow is babysit the grandkids day.) Your salad sounds so good also! If you get a chance to make it let me know how it tastes!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Peel it and if it isn't ripe, Google recipe for mango chutney. Lovely!

Lars

A friend of mine from Cabo Verde prefers green mangoes, and she makes a salad with them. You might want to check recipes for green mangoes, if you are concerned about it.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I got what I could off of it. I think it was about half ripe. It's in chunks in the freezer and I will use it in a smoothie. With strawberries and a banana I probably won't taste much of it anyway. But thank you all for the suggestions, if they include another one at least now I have options!

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Question is not stupid.

Mangoes are stupid. Too many different kinds.

You have giant green mangoes which are hard and sweet, you have small yellow soft kidney shaped ones which are sour. Many different kinds in between. They all can get fibery even refrigerated.

Mangoes make very thick creamy smoothies.

dcarch

3 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
jakkom

What a shame you got a badly bruised one! Keitt mangoes are our absolute favorites, as good as the Alfonso variety. Spouse is from HK so he loves all that tropical fruit he can't find here (we can find it, but the quality is mediocre).

Keitts are mostly grown in CA but there are some grown in Mexico/Central or South America. Very, very short season for the CA ones so I don't think that's what you got - we're always on the lookout for them in-season.

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

I got so many mangoes from friends last year that I had to freeze them. A couple of weeks ago, I took them out of the freezer and made mango ice cream and a mango pie just to get rid of them! Both desserts were delicious even after the mangoes were in the freezer for such a long time.

Lars

I have mangoes in my freezer from last summer also, and I use them in smoothies or to make sorbet.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 7 Tricky Questions to Ask When Planning Your New Kitchen
Addressing these details will ensure a smoother project with personalized style
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 9 Questions to Ask a Home Remodeler Before You Meet
Save time and effort by ruling out deal breakers with your contractor before an in-person session
Full Story
Life 15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story