Good way to clone a hard drive to a ssd?

marknmt

I decided to upgrade my 1 T harddrive to a ssd and ordered the appropriate hardware, cables, flash drive and so on. I found a tutorial on Youtube which advocates a straightforward process that uses free downloadable software to partition the new drive; that software is "The minitool partition wizard". I should end up with a perfect clone of the old drive and will not need to re-register with Windows. I don't have any plans for the old drive, and may format it and install it as a backup "someday".

I intend to connect the new ssd drive via usb to my desktop computer, copy over the entire disk, remove the old disk and install the new one. (The flash drives are one for a file back up and another for a boot drive, just in case). As I understand it the new drive, installed in place of and NOT in addition to the old one should boot up at once, and if it does not, I can replace it with the old drive and start over.

I'm moved hard drives around once or twice, and installed a new power supply, and I'm thinking I can do this. Any words of warning?

Thanks!

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I think you have your bases covered. And like you say, if an error occurs during the cloning process, you've still got your old drive.

Just don't clone in the wrong direction, new drive to old drive... just kidding. But I bet it's been done.

I hadn't heard of the clone tool you mention but I'm sure there's plenty of good ones I haven't heard of.

Lately, I've been using Macrium Reflect for backups. If I did a clone right now I'd probably use that, just because I already have it.

The last clone I did (Windows on a spin drive --> SSD) I used the Linux tool "dd". That worked fine except the target drive was just a few bytes larger that the source drive so I had to use another tool to resize. It wasn't a big deal but Macrium Reflect would have taken care of that for me. That was a new computer that had Windows on a spin drive. Restarts were painfully slow. Once I moved Windows to an SSD it was like a different machine. Quick like it should have been.

Have fun.

Save     Thanked by marknmt
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike C

AOMEI Partition Assistant does a fine job of want you want to do.

Save     Thanked by marknmt
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Hard Winter? 9 Ways to Battle Cabin Fever
We know a lot of you are trapped where it just won’t stop snowing. Here are some ways to survive
Full Story
Landscape Design Good Fences, Good Neighbors — and Good Views
See-through vertical fencing connects a yard with its surroundings while keeping children and pets safely inside
Full Story
Urban Gardens 10 Ways to Use Artificial Turf Where It Actually Looks Good
Fake grass is not for everyone, but it can be a problem-solver on balconies, on driveway strips and in urban courtyards
Full Story
Loudoun Interiors is not always about starting with a blank slate or purchasing everything new....it's also about... Read More