SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Getting Windows 7 on 2nd hard drive - main drive has XP?

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

Thanks to a failing second internal hard drive, I find myself with a good original 500GB hard drive with XP on it. Now I have a second internal hard drive - that's 2TB - and completely blank. Not even formatted yet. I had written on my previous thread about a serious Windows Error:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg120834472170.html?22

I had the thought of using this as my primary drive - bc. it's a faster hard drive - and a good one - WD black caviar - 7200rpm - 64MB cache. I still wonder about using it as my primary drive. Other maybe relevant facts - computer has 3GB Ram, quad core processor, 2.3 (or 2.8 ghz processor). So I think it's enough computer to run Windows 7.

Now another thought occurs to me: can I install Windows 7 on this drive - and have the option to boot from either drive. That way my hope is that I'll get used to Windows 7 - but won't find myself stuck if I have old programs that are only compatible with XP. I have been worried about upgrading to 7 - anticipating problems with drivers not working and all sorts of incompatibilities. Am I right that doing this on another drive will allow me to gradually build up whatever I need on that drive?

This is also motivated by noticing that Costco has a sale on Windows Home premium 7 - family pack of 3 for only $124. It says that for installing on an XP computer it needs a fresh install (no upgrading over existing OS like with Vista. That's what made me think I could do this on the blank second hard drive without risking anything to my primary drive if it doesn't work:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11601687&cm_mmc=BCEmail_592--BANNER--2-_-Windows7

My in-laws are desperate to find something to get me for the Holidays - and this might be great - if folks here think it's a good idea. I am nervous about how complicated the upgrade is - but I know Windows 7 has some great features that I think I'd enjoy.

So what do people think? Good idea or not? What am I in for if I try to set up Windows 7.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (19)

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I looked a little closer at the Costco package - it's an upgrade - and sounds complicated. Not sure what the difference is with a fresh install - but I think I need a fresh install. So which version should I get:
    Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit System Builder?

Not sure if I can benefit from the family pack. My husband has a Vista laptop - but I think he and I would nervous about installing over it - lest we wipe everything out. he's used to Vista now - and his computer needs are basic.

I have a 2 yo thinkpad with XP - but again, I'd be nervous about installing over the hard drive in there. And I too don't use my laptop for anything fancy - mostly surfing, email, a little word - no multimedia stuff, streaming, editing pics and videos. Just my desktop does that stuff.

If folks think the 2 laptops could easily be upgraded to Windows 7, I can reconsider getting a package that allows use on more than one computer. But otherwise, i think just my desktop. (and my daughter's is too old and limited to run 7 - maybe in a year we'll be getting her a new inexpensive pc anyway).

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Some thoughts,

To install a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you need a CPU that's capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows. The benefits of using a 64-bit operating system are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer, typically 4 GB of RAM or more. In such cases, because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

So the Laptop would need to have a 64 bit processor to run 64 bit Windows 7.

Then

You should also run this tool on the computer that you plan to install Windows 7 on,

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

It checks to see if Windows 7 will run and will tell you if you need to up grade anything.

Now another thought occurs to me: can I install Windows 7 on this drive - and have the option to boot from either drive.

No Windows 7 would need to be installed on the same drive as XP is currently on, just on a different partition. That's called Dual booting, that way when you boot up at the boot menu that is where you get the option to select the desired operating System to boot in.

I strongly suggest you Google Dual Booting Win7 & XP to gain a better understanding of what's involved

Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit System Builder? That's what I would choose. If you really want to dual boot it I'd get a shop to set it up for you.

I think windows 7 pro has XP Mode built in, would have to Google that to make sure.

I'd pefer to install clean rather then up grade from XP to windows 7. Dual booting maybe a good idea for you both operating systems would be available at the boot up menu, I would again get a pro to do it though.

Ok I have answered a few questions and otheres will answer more for you.

• Related Discussions

Bad Hard Drives, Bad Power Supply, or Bad Motherboard?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd run a the Diagnostic Software (SeaTools) Seagate-exclusive hard drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues. To me it sounds like a bad sector on the HD. You know what that clicking is. I'd be saying why me!, but the same problem on multiple new HD's, I'd be scratching my head. BTW - beautiful system you built there. Here is a link that might be useful: SeaTools
    ...See More

NAS - what to consider - does it matter if pc is xp or windows 7

Q

Comments (4)
    Pkponder - thank you for asking your son-in-law on my behalf. It may come to that. Glad to know the Windows version of my main desktop doesn't matter in terms of the NAS. I am going to use a Tivo to retrieve digital data for playing on the television. At this point, I think Tivo's can play Tivo format (which is how I record and store my video) and mpegs. I believe the Tivo is DNLA compliant device. I barely know what that is, but I think it means it can transfer different file formats. I know that I can view my digital pictures, videos and music on my television by retrieving them with my Tivo. I can also play the videos on my laptop. I have Tivo desktop software plus which can transcode any of the tivo videos to a format that can played on Ipads and ipods. Of course, I would have to change the format first. Maybe an NAS can do some of that on the fly - I have no idea. I don't think on the fly video transfer to Ipad and Ipod is that important. If my daughter is home, she has plenty of alternatives for viewing video. And if she wants to load her apple devices for travel, then we have time to get them to the right format. I think the Synology comes with it's own network operating system (which I think is some type of linux distribution). My question on the Raid will be what type. I'll have to learn the difference between Raid 0,1,5 and whatever else there is, so I can choose the appropriate type for me. Thanks. Lynn.
    ...See More

Help with Western Digital My Book external hard drive

Q

Comments (7)
    I reformatted the My Book - which went smoothly. The copied a short video. Again - worked well. Now I'm copying a whole bunch of videos - and it's taking time. I'm copying about 10-15 hours of standard definition tv shows. So far, it's been over an hour. I have no idea how long it will take via USB2 connection. The 30 minute video took less than 5 minutes. I have follow-up questions. I wonder what the best way is to back up these files. I just opened up My Documents and right-clicked one at a time - then chose the option to "send to" and selected drive e: my book. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I don't know what it is. I tried to highlight more than one file at a time (using the shift key) - but it didn't seem to want to let me highlight more than one at a time. I also wonder if I send a file to MY Book - does that mean it's moved to My Book and the original isn't on my PC - or is it copied there? Raven - I know I should know this by now, but I don't. How do I find my firefox profiles and bookmarks files so I can copy them to the external drive? Lastly, is there a way to copy files to the external drive in such a way that I can get prompted if the file already exists? so I don't make a copy and have 2 copies in there? with many files (like pictures), I may get a prompt that says the file already exists - should I overwrite it or skip. Is there anything like that when copying files to the external drive? At some point, should I bite the bullet and buy a software program to do this. Western Digital tries to give trial periods for the following software : Memeo Autobackup, Memeo Autosync. Any reason to get these? Or any other software? Also, when I reformatted the drive, it wiped the drive clean. Is there anything (drivers, software?) I would need to download from Western Digital (to replace anything I might have erased). I know that the proprietary software that's sometimes loaded with these things (like cameras, printers) may not be necessary at all. Thanks. Lynn.
    ...See More

Need Help Moving Files from C Drive to 2nd internal hard drive?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks everyone. Lots of useful methods. Mikie - it's good to know about moving entire folders (I don't have my video's in folders - yet - but am just discovering how useful that would be for shows I've recorded for a few seasons - having them altogether). I'd like to double check and ask what "a cmd window" is - and how I'd get there. Again - I have Windows XP (SP3). Sorry to say, Mikie, but I also need more explanation for what "make a shortcut to the destination , within the folder the files are in... then select a bunch of what I want to move, cut&paste onto the shortcut" means. I know someday I'll understand all of this, but I don't know how to make a shortcut to the destination. And once I cut and paste onto the shortcut, what do I do with it? Absolutely there are some big files - so I'm glad to told me to break it up into smaller chunks. I have so far. Thank you. Lynn.
    ...See More
  • grandms
    13 years ago

From all that I've read, upgrading from XP to 7 is not easy, so I would agree with Zep on this. Get a professional to do the job for you. Then you could have both XP and 7 on the partitioned 500GB drive. Use the new 2TB drive for all your documents and videos, etc. I'm not sure of the best place for your programs----maybe a 3rd partition on the 500gig drive? Maybe someone with more knowledge would have a suggestion for that. I think I'm showing my ignorance here.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Zep and grandms. I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. This is what it said for upgrading to the 64-bit Windows 7:

1 - I'd need a custom installation of 64-bit windows 7 - then reinstall your progams. make sure to back up your files before you begin.
    2 - Dell 's website is available for more info (I haven't checked that yet)
    3 - my graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface (right here is why I don't trust Dell. When I asked them about upgrading to Windows 7, they said I'd have to upgrade my graphics adapter - but I don't think they even checked what kind of adapter I had.
    4 - CPU speed of 2.4 GHz - plenty
    5 - 3 GB RAM - plenty - need 2
    6 - 150GB free space (need 20GB free for a 64-bit Windows 7

All my devices are compatible - printer, mouse, keyboard, Nvidia Gefore 8300 GS, modem, etc

Programs - not compatible:
    - microsoft .net framework 1.1 (can I just delete this - or do I need it? Is this an antiquated version that just didn't get removed when I've updated Windows?)

- dell datasafe online - (I've never used this anyway)

- digital line detect version 1.10 BVRP software (I don't know what this is so I don't know if I use it or need it)

- Modem diagnostic tool version 1.0.17.2 (again I don't know what this is)

- Netwaiting version 2.5.12 BVRP software (again, I don tknow what this is

- Roxio express labeler version 2.1.0 (here it says an update is available that's compatible. so I guess I could update it. I never used this program - yet)

- looks like my other programs are compatible

Zep =- yes Windows XP mode is an optional feature in Windows 7 professional
    --------------------------------

I think my system is fairly ready to go.

So if I had a custom professional dual-boot installation, I wonder how much time/money this would cost. The computer guy I've used (who many think is one of the best) has let me down the last two times and charged me for not solving the problem - which I ultimately solved with hours of time and help from here and/or a friendly, techy neighbor (who kindly volunteered but isn't somebody I'd ask - and he's not a professional).

I'm sure this is just the kind of thing he does routinely - but he charges $145/hour (plus travel time which I really resent when he lives 6 blocks from me). If he charges for 3 hours and Windows 7 costs a bit over $100, seems cheaper to buy a new computer (although it wouldn't offer dual boot).

Let me get something clear - would I need to hire someone if I didn't go for dual boot? Since Windows 7 pro offers xp mode, can I just go with that (and start on my new 2TB drive - after first removing the original hard drive and saving it in case I need to go back to it? just have the single drive - with Windows 7 pro - and then restore my other files from my cloned backup? Would that work?

I think I'd really like Windows 7 - and esp. increased speed with the 64-bit system. But am I asking for a whole lot of headache when I'm still unknowledgable and nervous about this stuff?

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• grandms
    13 years ago

You mention 3GB of Ram. I'd really up this to at least 4 (or even more) to take full advantage of the 64bit system. My year old laptop (not a high priced model) came with 4GB of DDR3 Ram and runs Win7 Home Premium 64bit, and I was amazed how fast it is compared to my desktop XP with 3GB Ram. Of course, it also has a dual processor, which helps.

Hmmmm. Maybe instead of spending more on that computer, spring for a new one and put the 2TB into it as a second hard drive. Maybe not a whole lot of difference in cost?

• owbist
    13 years ago

First off are you really sure you want a dual boot system? In the old pioneering days of the computer it was great fun and a challenged to dual, triple or even quad boot computers but the novelty soon wears off. Firing up a dual boot means you need to be on hand in the early stages to direct it to XP if Win 7 is set to default or vice versa. Very soon you will decide you like the newer operating system and will not be using XP too often.

Having said that and you feel you would like to proceed then here is a very good tutorial with screenshots as you go making life quite easy. You can do this even if the inclination to need the bathrom often to ease a queasy stomach. Just be sure everything is backed up or saved somewhere other than the drive/s you intend to be working on.

For many people Grandms may be right, pay someone to do it. However you can almost guarantee they will wipe your drive/s and start over. Also you need an absolute price before starting so you know where your money is going and if it becomes a wise decsion. With Christmas/New Year sales in full force you'd likely be ahead by buying a new computer. Your new super size drive can then be installed there and off you go. This would be doubly relevant if you have to buy a new video card as mentioned in a paragraph below as well as the operating system.

Windows 7 upgrades. These can be installed as a clean install quite legally. Here is a tutorial on doing a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade version rather than the full version.

Dell told you to upgrade the video card because the present video card is not up to the task, it comes with only 128 megs of RAM or memory. Google the card and you will see it is considered a low end card but if you intend to do no gaming it may well be sufficient. My video card has a gigabyte of memory built into it.

Your programs that will not work. .net framework will have the newest version, no worries there. Do you use a modem? It would be for fax only unless you are on dialup. You will not need Roxio because Win7 can burn DVDs for you.

• zep516
    13 years ago

I agree dual boot's not for everyone, I got sick of mine just for the reason owbist mentioned.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Osbist - thanks for the information. You're right - there's probably no need for dual boot - and I hate having to sit at the computer when it's starting up. I usually turn it on - do a couple of quick tasks and return to the computer.

I have to say that even though I asked if it was cheaper to buy a new computer, it makes me sad/regretful that my computer would get replaced so quickly. I know technology moves and things get outdated - but I guess I expected 4-5 years (esp. since I've upgraded some things - added firewire and esata ports, second hard drive). I thought my 2.4ghz quad core processor was plenty potent enough for current usage. I do stream media - I don't game at all.

Owbist - the link to do a clean install using the upgrade looked a bit intimidating. Why would I want to upgrade rather than buying a full version (which I think is available for about $139). How much am I saving with the upgrade instead? $30-40? is it worth a much more complicated procedure? and if I just do a single boot with Windows 7 pro 64-bit, do I still need a professional to do it?

I don't use a modem - I have a fax with it's own phone number and I don't send faxes from the pc.

I've done RAM upgrades - they're easy enough, cheap enough and don't scare me.

Hypothetically - if I did this myself - should I take my original hard drive out - and just install on the new empty drive? What do I do to get drivers? Should I go to the Dell website and download? Or copy them back from my back up. If I take the original drive out, I will have two full copies of my hard drive in their entirety - one is the original drive and one is the clone I made on an external drive last week.

So after installing Windows 7 on an empty drive (or do I format and partition first?). Gee - maybe there are enough considerations that I do need a professional. Or maybe I just take it one step at a time. I would then hook up the external hard drive that contains the clone - and then - bit by bit, restore applicatioins, drivers, settings?, and data onto the new internal drive?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Lynn,

There's lots of good reasons to go with a dual boot in your situation. The most compelling is that it keeps the XP and your files intact. No risk of loosing something important and you have an O/S you're comfortable with should you need it.

Certainly install Windows 7 on the new drive and the installation process will recognize XP and will take care of setting up the dual boot. If you go with the 64-bit version, it makes a lot of sense to max out your memory to gain the full benefits of the O/S. If you have the drive installed there isn't much more than sticking in the Windows 7 installation disc and follow the directions. It will take care of formatting the new drive and even partitioning if you'd like. You just need to be sure you point it to the correct hard drive.

Once you get Windows 7 up and running you can move files at your leisure. At some point, you'll find you no longer use XP. Then you can remove the dual boot and use the old drive for storage (or a Christmas tree ornament).

Just reading the last paragraph of your last message, there's nothing to "restore". Your data files (pictures, documents, etc.) can just be copied. Any programs (e.g., Office or Photoshop) will have to be reinstalled.

It's really not that complicated of a procedure.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike. So I am again reconsidering the dual-boot option. I checked with my computer guy - who would charge $385 - to install Windows 7 and move my data over (that quote was not for dual-boot). If he takes it with him - since it's lots of time - but not active time as files are transferring. He said just the OS takes 1-2 hours to install. If I hired him, I'm better off letting him take the computer instead of being charged $145/hour as he sits and waits for programs to install and files to copy.

I don't know how much more (I'm guessing not much more) it would cost for dual-boot. If I have dual-boot and I'm not at the computer when it starts - does it just pause there until I select which to boot from? Or is there a default that will load if I'm not there to make a selection?

Mike - when you say just " install Windows 7 on the new drive and the installation process will recognize XP and will take care of setting up the dual boot" - do you mean if I switch the primary drive to the blank new drive, and point to it, Windows 7 will install there. And then it will discover XP on the other drive? or will it discover xp if I have the external hard drive plugged in (the one with the clone including XP, all my programs and data)?

I am unsure if I would know how to copy my programs and apps.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

PS - also - if I attempt this - and I am tempted - I would need to be pointed to some pretty good instructions - maybe the ones Owbist linked?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Maybe I need a job as a computer guy instead of giving free advice... :-)

If I have dual-boot and I'm not at the computer when it starts - does it just pause there until I select which to boot from? Or is there a default that will load if I'm not there to make a selection?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. It will pause and ask for you to make a choice. After 15-30 seconds it will default to Windows 7 (you can actually change that time and default O/S if you wish)

do you mean if I switch the primary drive to the blank new drive, and point to it, Windows 7 will install there. And then it will discover XP on the other drive? or will it discover xp if I have the external hard drive plugged in (the one with the clone including XP, all my programs and data)?

You lost me with the external drive. Maybe I missed something but I thought you had two internal drives (one with XP and the new, unformatted one). Assuming two internal drives, you don't need to switch anything around. Windows doesn't care about the physical arrangement of the drives. They key point is to make sure you install Windows 7 to the correct drive (other wise you're going to overwrite your existing data). After that, Windows will take care of the rest.

I am unsure if I would know how to copy my programs and apps.

You can't "copy" your programs and applications, you need to reinstall them once Windows is up and running. You can copy your data files (e.g., Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, pictures, videos, music, etc.) The procedure is simply copy and paste (or drag and drop - which ever way you do it). Windows 7 will "see" the XP drive and treat it just like any other drive.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike - I wish I could hire you to do this. Just talked to the local computer tech (and he is so difficult to talk to - and he has negative attitudes about so much software, hardware - and that effects his willingness to do certain work and clarity). Anyway - just spoke with him and he insists that ther's not much point in installing a 64 bit system if I can't get 6-8GB RAM. He said it will run with 4GB - but slowly and sometimes pause and freeze. Therefore he doesn't think there's a gain of speed if I only upgrade to 4GB. He said I should check if my computer will take 6GB RAM - said I should check with Dell.

So that's where we left it. I still think I may be better off doing it myself - and getting my advice here.

Is it true that 64 bit wouldn't run well on 4GB Ram? Is it worth upgrading to 6GB if my computer supports it? This means buying two 3GB ram sticks - instead of just one 2TB RAm to replace the 1GB Ram stick.

Thank you so much for clarifying that I reinstall the programs.

I do have 2 internal drives - one original 500GB drive with XP and 350GB of programs. (I could transfer some of these video programs elsewhere if it's best to have more space). I thought Windows did care which drive was primary/master drive vs. slave? So - once I point the Windows 7 install to the second drive, Windows will find the XP on the other drive and transfer it to the second 2TB drive. That's one place i get confused.

I think I need both XP and 7 on the same drive. So if I install 7 on the newer 2TB internal drive, how will it "take care of the rest."

Thank you.
    Lynn.

PS - I would so much rather hire one of you really nice, helpful, informed people to help me with this. Anyone in the DC area?

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So above I was told to install 7 and XP on the same drive. This Windows 7 forum suggests (on page 2 in case that's not the page that comes up in the link) - that Windows 7 can be installed on a separate drive:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp-2.html

wouldn't this spare me the possible problems with overwriting anything on my original hard drive? or are there other reasons that this is ridicuous to consider?

Thanks again.
    Lynn.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

lynnalexandra-
    I think you answered one of your questions: you do need a computer tech who will do what you pay him to do without such an attitude. I appreciate getting frank info, but that guy sounds so opinionated that it's limiting.

As for your RAM, I'm running a 64-bit system on 4 GB and haven't noticed any slowness or lagging. With more memory, you might notice a little more speed with some tasks...or maybe not. I think you're in a comfortable range with what you have.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Kudzu9 - the emphasis being that I do need a computer tech - or just that if I get a computer tech it needs to be somebody without attitude?

So glad to hear you're running a 64-bit system on 4GB RAM.

Obviously nobody but me knows if I'm capable of doing this myself - but I wish I knew. I'd like to - but still have my earliest questions about the early steps:

- do I leave the orignal drive with XP in - and leave the new 2TB drive in - and load Windows 7 and point it to the 2TB drive? Will that work? Do I need to switch the original drive and 2TB drive - so the 2TB drive is the master drive?

- do I get Windows 7 on a drive first - and then get XP over in another partitition? if so, how. I'm unclear how Windows 7 just automatically does it. Does Windows 7 find it on the other drive and offer to bring it over? Do I install from my installation disks (which would have sp1, I think - maybe it would have sp2).

- do I partition the 2TB first before installing Windows 7. If so, I'm guessing I set up a 20GB partition for Windows 7, a somewhat smaller partition for Windows XP, a partition for data (word files, quicken date, etc), a partition for all my programs? (or does this go in the partition with the OS, a partition for videos, and perhaps two other partitions - one for music, one for pictures? The size of the music, data, video and picture partitions would depend upon the use I anticipate?

So two things I think I can go ahead with now are ordering the RAM I need to upgrade to 4GB (I already ran the Crucial test) - and 4GB is the max for my computer. And order Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit System Builder?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• bob414
    13 years ago

I dual booted win 7 beta and xp for a couple of months before win 7 was released. No problem at all. I got win 7 - the upgrade version - home premium as soon as it went on sale. My computer has a 32 bit processor so I put the 32 bit disk in the drive and let it install. One of the things it did was save all my data in a folder it named old windows. The only hitch was that no driver was available for my on board sound so I had to buy a cheap sound card - I'm no audiophile. All my xp programs installed and ran on win 7.
    I later purchased a laptop with a 64 bit processor and windows home premium. Some of my programs that run on the 32 bit win 7 system will not install on the 64 bit system.Both computers have 4 GB of ram and both run fine. I do think you will want to turn of the areo graphics. There was a noticeable increase in speed when I did.
    I may be wrong but I think you're asking for problems getting the system builder version. That sounds to me like the oem version which is for installation on a new computer. I don't think it's going to be looking for any files already on the computer. I think you want the upgrade version but as I said I may be wrong.
    It's just a matter of preference I guess but I don't know why you want so many partitions. I understand that a separate partition for the OS may help but there are folders for music, videos, pictures, etc. I don't see any advantage to putting them on separate partitions.
    If I'm wrong about these things someone with more knowledge will set us straight but from my experience I say get an upgrade version put in in the drive and tell it to install of the disk of your choice and let it do it's job.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

More memory is good but at some point there is a diminishing return on the investment and that point is a function of what you are doing with your computer. Things like first person shooter games, video editing, photo editing (of very large files) all benefit from lots of memory. Writing an email to Aunt Betty doesn't require very much memory at all because the computer can process information far faster than you can type. Same thing for the Internet, your computer can render pages faster than your connection can supply the information. So if you have a slow internet connection, you're not likely to experience much, if any improvement.

With that said, 4 gigs is probably a pretty good number. If you really want a WOW factor, get a solid state drive and use that for your O/S and critical applications.

To try and answer some of your questions:

- Windows doesn't care about the physical drive or any logical partitions. It does make good sense to install Windows 7 on the newer, faster drive. You'll get the best performance that way. When it comes time to get rid of XP, everything will be on one drive and that, if nothing else, should help you keep things mentally organized.

- My understanding is that you have two physical drives, one with a functioning version of XP and the other blank. If that is not correct, say so NOW.

- When you go to install Windows 7, it will recognize that there is another operating system (Windows XP) already installed. Windows 7 won't do anything to XP other than to set up the dual boot. Essentially it's computer language that says, "XP is there, Windows 7 is here, which one do you want to use?"

- Logical partitions to a drive a largely a function of personal preference. Understand that it is more difficult (but not impossible) to non-destructively repartition a drive after you put data on it. If you, for example, have a partition for music, another for videos, and a third for pictures and find down the road that you have a lot more videos than music, it becomes more difficult to rearrange things. My suggestion is a single, large partition and use folders to organize your data.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob and Mike - great points - and great pointers. So maybe I don't want the system builder. but I thought doing it from upgrade was more difficult - esp. XP to Windows 7.

As for partitioning, my idea of creating so many partitions came from a newsletter I received yesterday from Gene Barlow (Acronis users group) - which suggested organizing your hard drive into various partitions. I may gone a little further than Gene did. Mike - you're right - I think folders would suffice for much of this - and I can see it would tougher to re=partition non-destructively after data is on it. A single large partition and folders to organize data is wise advice. I will heed it. (and in fact my folders are fairly organized at this point - thanks to advice here a while back about how to use explorer and folders.)

Mike - you are correct - I have have two physical drives, one with a functioning version of XP and the other blank (the newer faster one is blank). So will windows set up the dual boot if the xp is on a different drive than Windows 7 gets installed on? It could be me, but my take on earlier advice in this thread was that they should both be on the same drive?

Which version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit do I want - system builder, OEM, upgrade, full version? It would be great if Windows 7 just recognized XP and set up the dual boot.

(Other considerations for how I use this pc - I don't game. I do edit some videos and pictures (I don't do anything with RAW files - just jpegs).

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

So will windows set up the dual boot if the xp is on a different drive than Windows 7 gets installed on? It could be me, but my take on earlier advice in this thread was that they should both be on the same drive?

Windows 7 doesn't care where XP is along as the drive it's on is functioning. You can install it to the same drive as XP but as I said, the ideal situation is to install Windows 7 on the fastest drive for the best performance.

System builder and OEM are cheaper because they don't come with phone support from Microsoft. When Dell buys Windows, in exchange for a better price, they agree to provide the technical phone support. Upgrade and retail are the same except that the former is going to look for existing copy of XP. You'll probably be fine just sticking in the Windows 7 disc and running the install but it may ask for the original XP disc or the product code so you'll want to have that handy. Personally, I'd shop price.