SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venicemolly

HELP! Input on casual kitchen dining nook

Molly H.
4 years ago

We are about to begin a major remodel and I would love thoughts on the best layout for corner casual dining/seating in kitchen. I need to make up my mind, yesterday!

We are a family of 4 with elementary aged children. We will also have a proper dining table and an island with stools. I envision a comfy place for homework, snacks and early dinners when Dad is out of town. I am debating between L shaped bench seating (storage under for rarely used items) under the original 1909 windows with a round table and a few chairs or bench on one wall with a rectangular table and 3 chairs. We always opt for booths at restaurants and like the cozy feel and storage they offer underneath. Getting in and out or blocking each other is not a huge concern for me.

I like the idea of entry type basket storage incorporated into bench for flip flops somewhere. We live near the beach and I know my kids will have a pile of shoes at the door and I want a designated space to store them near the door when the run out to the backyard, ideally tucked out of the way. Was thinking bench seating could run all the way across to the door, (perhaps with a step down, so it is higher around the table for seating?) for shoes under and a landing for backpacks, etc at the door end.

I have a KD and design build firm who have offered input. There are professionals involved. I am interested in the opinions of those who have similar spaces in their homes to hear what works best. Everyone seems to have a preference for various reasons and I can't decide, probably because I have had to make 300 other decisions and my head is spinning. HELP! Thank you.

The corner is about 6'-9" by 7'-3". Table shape? Table size? Number of chairs? L Bench? Single bench? Clever storage tips?

Comments (8)