SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athleticannie

QUICK ADVICE NEEDED regarding window sill transition near sink

athleticannie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our electrician is on-site today and needs an answer by tomorrow morning about window trim around our kitchen window.

Local building code requires that kitchens have outlets every four feet which means that we need to have 1 or two outlets (and possibly switches) installed under our new kitchen window and above the countertop. Here is our new window:

Our electrician needs to know what type of trim we are planning around the window so he can determine whether the outlets can run vertically or need to go horizontally. The space between the window sill and cabinet is about 9.5". The countertop will add about 1.25". That leaves about 8.25" for trim and outlets. Outlets are about 5" high. The sink will be centered under these windows.

I need options for how to frame the window, I really like the idea below but am looking for other options. The entire window wall will have backsplash.

This has a sill made out of the same material as the countertop (for us, quartz). This allows for some splash at the sink without wetting a wooden sill. The edges are dog-eared, so that they go past the width of the window opening like a regular sill does. Then the wood trim is added to the window and lands on top of the sill to align with the outer edge of the dog-eared sill on each side.

Any other ideas? I am actually not a real fan of standard sills but am not sure what else to do. And I need to make a quick decision.

And do I add tile into the window (which is about 3" deep)?

Thank you!

Comments (19)