SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisapoi

need layout advice for small kitchen with 'issues'

lisapoi
13 years ago

We are planning a kitchen renovation this spring. Our current kitchen is really small . . . 11 x 11 approx. One whole wall is taken up with an 8' sliding glass door that overlooks a beautiful treed ravine. We love the view and the light, and do not want to remove this door.

There are two other doorways into the kitchen � one where the back hallway and front hallway converge, and one doorway into the current dining room (also small and approx. 11 x 11).

We think we would like to open up the dining room to the kitchen and have one large room, giving us room for a bigger/ expandable table in the dining room. In our proposed plan, we would also like to put an island in the kitchen to give us more counter space as well as additional cabinet space below. The end of the island facing the dining room would have a higher cabinet (about 9" higher than the island counter) that we hope will help hide dishes etc. on the island or at the sink from view.

I've tried to make sure that there is enough aisle space on the sink side and stove side. I know it is tight near the sliding door, but I was hoping that wouldn't matter so much as it is not really an aisle. I treated the sliding door as a 'wall'. The slider opens on the sink side.

We rarely ever use the dining room as a dining room. Recently we moved our kitchen table into the DR to see how we like sitting there, and set up an old table in the kitchen to function as our 'island'. I think we really like it except for the wall between the two rooms, which currently makes it a tight squeeze around the 'island'.

We are planning on using Ikea cabinets (Liljistad) in the kitchen and for the planned cabinet in the dining room. We're hoping to create a kind of 'furniture' look in the kitchen.

I have been lurking on the kitchen forum a long time, and have loved looking at the different kitchen renovations! There are so many ideas, but sometimes it gets a bit mind boggling.

For those of you who have combined the kitchen and dining room in a small house, have you been happy with your decision? I was hoping some of you might comment on our proposed kitchen plans. Are our thoughts for an island and increased counter space an OK idea? The perimeter is pretty much to scale, I think, but when I put in the cabinets and appliances, I had to guess as to the correct scale (don't ask . . . did it in Photoshop as best I could).

I would really appreciate your input.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County