SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_stupfell_anderson

Akward space connecting living area and bedrooms

Ellen Anderson
4 years ago

Hello! I need help determining the best way to utilize an awkward room between our currently finished living space and our new addition. The space is currently unfinished and we will be framing in the north wall to separate this room from our furnace/storage room. The entrance to the living room is on the west wall and the entrance to the bedrooms is on the east wall. The ceiling is only about 7' and lower in some places due to the duct work. Our contractor recommended framing in a hallway to connect the two entrances, with a door off the hallway to what could be a walk-in closet (see attached photo). I'm not sure if this is the best way to use this space or if I would prefer it to be open instead.

Questions:

-Should I keep the existing layout as drawn in the attached picture? If so, would you use the rest of the room as a walk-in closet or do you have a better recommendation? We don't need a bathroom as we already have a bathroom nearby.

-Should I make the hallway wider to accommodate hooks for coats, purses, and shoes?

-If I leave the space open, what would you recommend using this room for?

-If we use the space as a walk-in closet, would you also put closets in the bedrooms? The bedrooms will be shared by 4 girls - would it be best to leave out the closet to maximize floor space in the rooms?

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I want to make the best use of this space as our kids get older but also want the design and layout to not seem awkward once finished. Thanks!

Comments (17)