SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Will this modification hold an 85” tv?

canishel
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I would like to increase the width of my tv cabinet so that the tv can stand on it. I really like the current cabinet and don’t want to take up any more floor space with a larger cabinet.

This is a link to one tv model I’m considering:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-85-class-led-x900f-series-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-hdr/6179708.p?skuId=6179708

The tv sits on two legs, angled outwardly, in which the width is 68 ¼ inches and the depth is 15.625 inches.

Will a 70 x 19 inch piece on nominal ¾ inch pine plywood fix the problem? The result of this idea means that part of the legs will sit on the plywood but extend about 5 inches on each side of the cabinet. I don’t know how much of the legs will sit on that portion of plywood that rests directly on the cabinet. The tv weighs 106.2 pounds.

My concern is that the free edges of plywood will bend over time. I don’t care about the tv extending past the base, although I’d consider cutting angles on the front edges of a longer piece.

If this is a not a good idea, what else would you suggest?

Here’s a sketch of what I want to do. Please note that the 16 inch depth of the cabinet is the narrowest (there are cutouts at the front corners); most of the cabinet is 19 inches deep.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert