SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Does anyone make Pecan Dreams?

There is a cookie I’ve made for Christmas as long as I can remember. Family recipe. I know there is more than one name for it. Balls of dough with finely chopped pecans are rolled in powdered sugar while still warm from the oven. My Mom used to make them in crescent moon shapes too. But those take longer to make so I went with just the ball shape.

It’s one of everyone’s favorites. I used to make it with already ground pecans I bought at a bulk food store. That store went out of business.

So the last 3 years I have bought whole pecans and ground them up in my food processor. Only to find the cookies fell apart as soon as I tried to roll them in powdered sugar. Just shattered.

I thought the freshly ground pecans were too moist. So I experimented with finely chopping them then drying them out in the oven on low: but that did not help much. Perhaps the fresh pecans are oily rather than moist: and drying them in the oven does not do anything for oiliness.

I am not a food scientist and don’t know how to tweak this recipe to make it work again. I looked up at least 4 variations last year and most have less pecans than my recipe.

Is that the solution? This is my most requested Christmas cookie – more than Spritz, even – so I need to make it work! Thanks for your help!

This is my traditional recipe:

Pecan Dreams

½ pound butter (2 sticks), unsalted, softened. Leave out at room temperature for 1 hour before starting.

2 cups finely ground pecans

6 rounded teaspoons powdered sugar

2 tablespoons vanilla

2 cups flour

Salt, dash

2 teaspoons water

Scoop up dough with a teaspoon, roll between your palms to make small balls about an inch in diameter. Dough does not spread, so the balls can be placed only 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 20 min, or until bottoms are light brown. While still hot from the oven, roll in powdered sugar.

Comments (10)