SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natashha

Has anyone had such a problem with growing pecan trees?

natashha
7 years ago

Hi everyone! I planted two pecan nuts in a pot back in June 2013. In July that year, only one of them sprouted and, as the winter was approaching and since the seedling looked too young and weak, I let it overwinter on the unheated loggia. In May 2014, I transplanted it to the garden (located in the gardening zone 5b). The taproot was not disturbed at all (I knew how it is important to keep the taproot so I took a pot that was long enough). Since then, the seedling has showed very little growth, in fact, it seems like it only sprouts leaves each spring (which are apparently good and healhy). Its overall height is still only about 25 cm (10 inches). It is July 2016 now, and I think is should have grown a lot taller than this. The soil is sandy and well drained. What do you think could be the problem?

Actually, because of such a poor development, I try not to risk and do cover it up for the winter time with spunbond. The twigs are so tiny!

I didn't fertilize it with anything. I just was afraid that fertilizers could 'burn' the roots of such a small seedling. After all, they may grow in the wild, on a poor soils, where noone cares for them. And the leaves of particularly my seedling do not show any element deficiency (or am I not right?).

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz