SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apg4

Meter base/transfer switch box

apg4
4 years ago

I have recently completed a detached shed for my tri-fuel 8,500 watt generator and I'm looking for a neat (and external) way to connect to the main panel box. Sure, I could install an interlock on the main box inside. ( I did the upgrade to 200 amps a decade or two ago which was OKed/permitted by the city's inspector, but that would require an outside receptacle for the generator's power cord.) The local poco is doing preliminary surveys for going underground, so the meter base will eventually have to be changed - at their expense.

I contacted them about the Generlink unit. Simple, compact, hook-up in under five minutes.... But that device is not allowed. Tried going up the chain of command to an "engineer" who told me it is not allowed...just because. No reason, "just our policy...and there is nothing you can do about it." Now that's kind of like waving a red flag in front of a bull. It would seem to me that the poco's 'control' stops at the meter.

I've researched the web for a meter base box with a built-in, 200 amp switch - without much success. Ronk has quite a few, but all are "non UL-listed" and I'm fairly certain that the poco would balk at such. Contacted GenerLink, but they don't seem interested in challenging to poco - even though that might me more sales.

The poco's monopoly in the state is complete - or was.... It took much wrangling in the state house to enact legislation to allow the 'purchase' of electricity from other sources. ( The poco spent lavishly on lobbyists to oppose this.) Any suggestions in this regard?

Comment (1)