SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikedpga

Getting the most out of a transfer switch & generator

Mikedpga
11 years ago

Hi,

I have a 10,500 starting, 7,500 running generator and a reliance 10 circuit transfer switch that was professionally installed and working properly.

My question is can I (meaning a professional electrician) add more circuits (lights and outlets mostly) to the transfer switch? right now all the switch wires are connected to the electrical box. Can an electrician splice and/or add more circuits to the transfer switch?

On the 110v switches I currently have lights/outlets on a couple switches; my microwave has its own switch, fridge and 2 outlets on another switch. As far as the 220v switches go, I have 2 baseboard heat units connected, and my water pump.

What I really wanted is my water pump and water heater connected on the two 220v switches if that�s possible to do? And can I add more lights/outlets to already wired 110v transfer switches?

I ultimately want my generator to run as much of the house as possible. I am not even coming close to half capacity on my generator. My current generator usage is only 25-30% when on gen. power. (I know this due to LCD panel on generator) with everything running except the baseboard heating.

Water pump, fridge, microwave do not run all the time as you know. With everything listed above and two baseboard heating units on 80 degrees, the generator runs at 60%. I would give up my baseboard heating for the water pump, and just get a portable electric heater to warm us up instead while on generator power)

What is the amps on a water eater, and i think min s 30A. Is there a way to convert 30 amps to work on my Reliance transfer switch? Or is there a way to directly plug in the water heater to the generator or something similar to this setup so I can have the water heater also working when the power is out?

Thanks so much for the help with all of this!!

Comments (4)