SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsimon7777

Generator Transfer Switch

jsimon7777
12 years ago

I have what may be a complex installation for a home transfer switch. The generator is a Yamaha YG6600DE, a contractor-class model. I think it can work at its rated capacity all day long.

Here is a diagram of the system. Currently there are three buildings and six electrical boxes! The blue parts are parts I'd change and add. The idea is to disconnect the wires from the main breaker and plug them into the outlet of the transfer switch. Then connect new wires to the main breaker from the transfer switch. Then connect new wires from the generator to the other end of the transfer switch. That way, there'll be no dead linemen, and I can run my lights, gate, well pump, and water heater (alternating between the water heater and well pump).

Here is the PGE panel with the maim breaker panel closed.

Here is the main breaker below it, 175amp.

Inside the main breaker panel. The wires go through to a patch box I'll show later. I think the white wire going down from the bus bar is ground. I think the black wire coming out of the hole to a bus bar is ground from the rest of the system.

A closeup of the bus bar and where the PGE service comes in from the Smart Meter.

Now we're looking along the wall behind the main. The wall is to the left. The main breaker is right behind it. Below the hunk of wood in the center is metal conduit that comes out the back of the breaker box, where the three big wires go.

The splice box where magic happens. I think two wires come from the house, two from the garage, three from the main breaker panel, and three from the well house panel above the splice box.

The insides of the Federal Electric panel in the well house. I get the feeling I should replace it. Notice the three massive black wires feeding it. Notice the crazy turn the far left wire makes. Also notice how all three big wires come from the conduit that leads to the splice box below.

Is this design general design acceptable? Should I ground the generator? It's manual says to, but ground confuses me. The generator does have it's own GFCI.

I'm thinking of replacing the Federal box while I'm at it. I could also replace the main breaker box and Federal panel with a single panel, but then I'll have to go diving into the scary splice box, get PGE to shut off service, and hire an electrician. As it stands, my buddies, two HVAC guys who have to do other types of electrical wiring all the time, should be able to handle this.

Comments (17)