SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Had to Finally Cave and Get a New Phone...

ritaweeda
4 years ago

And it's an Iphone. Before you say "so what, big wup" you have to understand that number one, my old phone was a 15 year-old flip-phone, an old LG - the really small, fat, chunky one, only used it for emergency phoning. So it was starting to fail on me and DH went and bought me this Iphone as an early Christmas present. I've never owned or used an Apple product before and man am I having a hard time learning all this but I'm slowly trying to soak up all this new stuff from online tutorials. But my big question is this - is it necessary to get VPN protection on it? Does VPN only work for wifi connections? If I don't use the wifi out in public and only use the data plan am I safe? I was going to get some free game apps and signed up for an Apple account and it wouldn't let me download anything without giving them my credit card information (even though it was a free game) and I don't like to have that information available out there for hackers, would it be?

Comments (65)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I was never a Apple user either. Had always used a PC with Microsoft for both work and home so that was what I was most comfortable with. But a few years back, my sister gifted me with her old iPhone when she upgraded and we joined a shared family plan for service. I am now on my third upgraded phone (8 Plus) and I love it. I didn't find it any more difficult to use than my old, pay-as-you-go flip phone but with far better features. I know I do not use mine anywhere close to the capacity it can offer but I use it mostly for communication and the camera and a few apps. All the apps have been free downloads. No issues at all.

Our service is through Verizon. There is a Verizon store locally but Apple is at a considerable distance so any issues, we take the phones into Verizon. They are always hugely helpful and have helped me navigate some iPhone issues. All the result of my dumbness - nothing to do with the phone itself :-)

• JoanMN
    4 years ago

I have used Apple and Android. I got a Samsung 9+ last year, after having had an iPhone for 2 years. I do think the Apple products are more user friendly. I love my iPad mini 4.

Also interested in which model you have. I was so torn between a iPhone 8+ and Samsung 9+. Both take great pics, which was very important to me, and both were about the same price.

I have never used a VPN (virtual private network), thus far.

Going from an old flip phone to any smart phone is a huge leap. Enjoy your Christmas present! (sounds like your DH knew just what you needed).

• Related Discussions

Had a phone call this morning ... about my computer

Q

Comments (8)
    OJ -- my 94 year old mother got a similar call. They called late in the evening (I'm sure she was asleep) to ask her about her computer. Then they proceeded to ask her if she had a computer! She said no, she doesn't have one and that was the end of the conversation. The caller ID also said Florida. Actually, my mom does have a computer but it's the rest of the family that uses it when we are there. She doesn't go near it. She knows better than to buy anything unsolicited over the phone. I also worry that calls like this are people calling to see if the house is empty so they can break in. I suppose they could be parked in front of the house with a cell phone number from Florida to circumvent the caller id. What a world we live in.
    ...See More

finally......im getting my new machines tommorrow!

Q

Comments (4)
    > ..ill let you guys know.. I'm sure you will.. I mean that in a nice way. I've read most of your problems with the Oasis... We have the nice LG Blue models, (except in white...) on pedestals and love 'em LG service mauals are here: LG service manuals
    ...See More

iAquaLink - Jandy/Zodiac iPhone Control -Finally

Q

Comments (27)
    I just set up my iAqualink. Seems to work really well and is certainly more responsive then my wireless RS on-touch. I have the intellibrite lights, and I have no problem setting/changing the colors. I do have a growing list of enhancements I'd like to see such as tracking energy consumption of the ePump and the ability to backup and store the configuration. Given the web interface, I think a more streamlined scheduling interface (drag and drop items onto a timeline) is in order. Oh, and let's get the iPhone app revised so it takes advantage of the iPads greater screen real-estate. For the technical inclined people, the iAqualink is actually based on the ioBridge platform (including the phone apps). It's nice to see Jandy/Zodiac leveraging existing technology vs trying to develop this in-house. Jeff
    ...See More

On Top of it All We Had to Get a New Gadget

Q

Comments (12)
    Our hillside neighborhood has a lot of signal shadows and the Verizon cell signal has degraded over the years. Two bars at best but inconsistently so. I called them to talk about it and the outcome was similar, they sent me a network extender for no charge. What I have is not a signal booster per se (that implies amplifying an existing signal) but rather it's like a mini cell tower. It sends and receives normal cell phone signals like any tower installation but with less power and range than a normal tower. The traffic gets routed with the same level of encryption (so they say) over the home's internet connection. Using an extender differs from setting the phone to Wifi Calling in a few ways. At least for our phones, the Wifi routing isn't used if there is any cell signal at all. Sometimes it would try to jump from one to the other and the call would be dropped. To have it used consistently, we needed to turn on Airplane Mode on each phone and then turn on Wifi every time we came home, and then reverse that when leaving the house. A typical day for us involves several ins and outs and it was inconvenient to remember to do. Secondly, guests in our house who are Verizon customers automatically get the enhanced signal, there's nothing to say or suggest they do for that result. Thirdly, while I have a very robust Wifi system (Orbi and satellites), the extender's signal seems stronger. In fact, I have it turned down to 60% power (it's accessible/adjustable through a browser access like a router) because I don't want to act as a cell site for my neighborhood that would degrade the signal for my own use. Our second house is also in a bit of a hilly area, also in a cell signal shadow, and so we take the extender with us when we go there. A funny thing is that part of the extender boot-up process is to capture GPS signals to determine its location (for use for emergency calls) and when we move it, it takes about 5 minutes for it to confirm that it's in a new location and it needs to adjust for that. I also need to put it initially near a window so that it gets clearer GPS signals, .
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

I have a super old iPhone SE. I'm due for an upgrade but don't like big phones, so keep holding on hoping a smaller model is coming. (I keep seeing teasers - hope springs eternal...)

I travel a fair bit for work. Have never used VPN on my phone, only my laptop. Glad someone else helped you out with the credit card info., because I don't have a CC associated with my Apple ID either and have no problem downloading free apps.

You'll figure it all out. Getting a new phone is hard work these days! :)

• Lars
    4 years ago

I'm so surprised anyone would comment they don't like Apple products since the OP said she already has one. Why would anyone feel the need to say that?

Because she may want to return it and get something else. She did not pick it out herself - her husband did. It's always nice to know that one has options.

• lily316
    4 years ago

We have a desktop PC and laptop with Microsoft which we've had since 1998. We've gone through 7 computers but always with Microsoft. Then we got an iPad years ago and another one and we liked them so much I got an iPhone five years ago upgraded it once(gave the old one to husband)and love it so much I bought an Apple watch a few months ago. It takes some getting used to but if I can do it you can. Half our kids are Apple totally and the other half android.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

As the family tech support department for decades and decades, I've used, trouble-shot and maintained products of all types. PCs and Macs, Android and Apple tablets and phones. I also worked an entire career in Silicon Valley with companies of all types of hardware and software products in this product area and others.

My opinion:

Most brands use the same components sourced from the same companies. Manufacturing quality and ultimate end product quality can vary depending on the decisions the manufacturer has made with the quality versus cost trade offs, for product design features, choice of components, for manufacturing, for testing.

The main difference apparent to a user between an IOS device and an Android device is the user interface of the software. Ironically, both iOS and Android are separate but similar derivatives of Linux so down deep in the bowels, an iPhone and an Android phone use about the same operating system. An iPhone has no more quality hardware-wise than a top quality Android phone. They do the same thing, the same way. Mostly the same apps, mostly the same site connections, mostly the same generic data collection from the manufacturer. Apple does all the same things Google does. Same old- Same old.

The one thing you get from Apple users is the blind allegiance, "this is better than anything else" attitude that comes from drinking Apple Kool-Aid. Some of those unenlightened comments above are like that.

Face it folks - they're all the same. Apple charges more because they make people think they're special. They're not - if you leave out the bare-bones cheap Android devices and restrict comparison to using the upscale models, you find that durability, useful life, capabilities, etc., are really not different between Android and Apple. The user experience is different because the software is different.

Apple is not a universally liked or respected company in this area. People admire its success, market disrupting products (more in the past than now) and marketing prowess. Not a lot more. Apple-ites seem to have more attitude problems than people at other companies, that forms part of how the company is looked at.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"You'll NEVER know and use all the features of the iPhone"

You can fill in this blank with anything: You'll NEVER know and use all the features of ................

Your car's technology system

Excel or MS Word or Powerpoint or Photoshop or etc.,

A smartphone (no matter of what system, Android, iOS, Windows if still around)

Your PC

Your fitbit

Etc.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Rita- If you’re only using your data plan from your carrier, or are on trusted wifi, like your router at home, you should be fine, unless you do something unwise, like click on a dodgy link in an email or download an app that you found on the internet (rather than from Apple‘s App Store). The main thing is simply to exercise normal prudence when you’re on the Internet regardless of what device you’re using. I’ve used my iPhone all over the world and have never had a problem. I’m not saying that an iPhone can’t be hacked; I’m just saying the risk is minimal if you exercise reasonable precautions.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Elmer, I made that remark within the context of the discussion which happens to be an iPhone, not a car or boat or anything else.

You'll NEVER know and use all the features of the iPhone. Learn & practice using what you need and you'll be a happy user.

Pretty easy to understand what I meant.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

kudzu, I hope you're not suggesting that in normal use an iPhone is more secure than an Android phone. I don't believe that is true. If it is, please provide a source. Or is this more Kool-Aid?

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Michael, the take-away I had from your comment was that you were implying this phenomenon was limited to iPhones and its users. If you agree that it applies pretty universally with tech products, then the sentiment goes without saying. Or using other words might have avoided misimpressions.

As I said, in my environment in close proximity to the Apple core (funny comment in my view), I've been subject to to decades of annoying crowing, boasting, arrogance, etc., from people in the Apple camp and its acolytes. I may be too sensitive to that. No matter what, for me, Apple products have never deserved the premium prices they charge. They're good for people in creative endeavors - like art, design, photography, though less so today than years ago, but otherwise, no. Apple products can interact and sync more easily (sometimes automatically) with themselves because they all come from one source and Apple can control the interfaces and interoperability. It does this superbly. Is it essential? No, not in my view. It's not possible to do this to the same extent for the average non-Apple product user whose PC is one brand, smartphone another, tablet another. This is one area where Apple shines but otherwise, no. Good for them for getting away with overcharging.

When you see a company that can lead a market, it may be a good stock to buy. Not in Apple's case these days, they're trying to find their way back to the tech leadership relevance they used to have and they're having trouble getting there.

• Michael
    4 years ago

I can tell by your defensive stance that iPhone users ruffle your feathers. Perhaps it's a subject you may wish to mention to your therapist. :) I'm kidding.

It's a phone I use which doesn't mean I'm blind and a follower of a cult. I drink IPA, not kool-aid.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Elmer-

I’m simply stating my experience with my iPhones. Please don’t try to put words in my mouth or drag me into your lecture series.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I may have misunderstood the intended meaning of the comments and if so, sorry.

I don't think I'm defensive but there is definitely a cult-like attitude that starts at Apple HQ and radiates from employees out to very many customers. It doesn't make me angry, it's annoying. In the same way that hearing people ape political soundbites without any cerebral processing on their own is annoying. Accept what you're told and repeat it, whether or not you understand what's being said.

Kudzu, listen to others' "lectures" and ideas, it's the best way to learn.

Have you noticed how many proselytizing Apple starry-eyed users there are compared to users of other products. With most products having similar capabilities, where's the meat?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

"Kudzu, listen to others' "lectures" and ideas, it's the best way to learn."

Elmer, pot, kettle, black :-) You are seldom inclined to listen and learn from others ideas or lectures or that's certainly what is conveyed by your constant dismissive postings on others' opinions. To be honest, you do tend to come across as a know-it-all regardless of topic......so I guess that means you have nothing further to learn yourself and can now just bestow your advanced wisdom to the rest of us poor, benighted know-nothings??

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I think your impressions of me are very wrong but what I say won't change anything. I'm a confident person, that's true, and a curious one whose lifetime of curiosity has led to accumulating a small amount of information on many different topics. I learn more from listening to others than in any other way. I meet people, I ask questions. I meet someone with an occupation or hobby that interests me, I ask questions. By doing that over my lifetime, a lot of information has been accumulated.

Not at all in this thread or on this topic, but here's an example. If two people are exchanging views and one is better informed or has more experience with the topic, the less knowledgeable person might defensively call the other one a "know it all". More accurately it's a "know more than me" person to listen to but that isn't human nature. So if a "know it all" is your phrase for someone who knows more than someone else in any circumstance, which is not what the phrase means, then that's what it is FOR YOU and others with the same perspective.

An adult lifetime spent in Silicon Valley has led me to an experiencial opinion about Apple, its people and its products. Same with some other big name companies too. People who don't agree are welcome to disagree but that doesn't change everything I've seen, heard, and experienced over decades.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

I'm so surprised anyone would comment they don't like Apple products since the OP said she already has one. Why would anyone feel the need to say that?

Mention any "tech" and conversation turns to pros and cons, likes and dislikes etc. It's normal. Same with cars and motorcycles and appliances. No one is trying to hurt anyone.

Back in the old days debates were about Ford versus Chevy. Fixed Or Repaired Daily versus Cheap Heaps, Expect Very Routine Owner Letdowns, Expect Trouble.

DS is a tech "guru" going back to his phreaker/hacker days in the 80's. Today he is in IT security with a sideline in artificial intelligence R&D. I still chuckle at a remark he once made. When the Apple Watch came out he said he deadpanned had a new hobby.......he loved to comment on people wearing Apple Watches by complimenting them on their new Galaxy Gear Watch. LOL

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Once again, another prime example of that very patronizing, condescending approach you take with anyone who has an opinion that may differ from yours. It is the air of superiority you display in your responses that puts others' backs up, that you some how are privy to more and better information and greater knowledge than they do. Anyone who frequents this forum regularly has seen ample evidence of this. And you have made some unfounded assumptions.......how could you possibly know from what background kudzu was speaking? It is entirely conceivable that his degree of familiarity and experience with Apple and their products exceeds yours. Yet you assume he is the one that needs to "listen and learn"?

Goodness, do we have an ego!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

You also have trouble avoiding personal comments. You just like to slide them in sideways so they appear generalized but not always - you gave kudzu a direct hit above.

"Have a nice day. Try to make the world a better place. You're not off to a good start and the day is half gone."

Oyyy! That just reeks of condescension and sarcasm. I rest my case..............

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

And yet again........you just can't give it up, can you?

And I do tire of your constant need to criticize.....either opinions, other's beliefs or even the individuals themselves. I'd have to hunt long and hard to find a thread you contributed to that did not contain a touch of Fudd criticism.

LOL!! You are not the slightest bit sorry if I am unhappy or not and throwing out that 2 bit comment is petty at best. But just to let you know, I am not the slightest bit unhappy - can't think of the last time I was....maybe last year when my cat died - and any 'negativity' you may be sensing is only a reaction to the silliness bordering on rudeness you seem to favor posting here. You stop then I am more than happy to.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Elmer considers me a "fan boy" for Apple, who drinks the Kool-Aid. I say Elmer thinks like an accountant.

I have had an iPhone since the first was introduced. I love mine, but then I have also loved every Apple computer/iPad I've had since my first in 1991. To me, they are very intuitive. As an interior designer, appearance DOES matter to me and I'm willing to pay for it. It appears I'm not alone as virtually the entire Windows/Android world has slavishly copied Apple's cool designs.

For me, they just "work". I love that my desktop/iPad/iPhone are all synced. All my contacts, email, bookmarks, calendars - all done automatically.

Some people are just better with tech than others and it has nothing to do with their IQ - their minds just work in different ways. I'm a techie at heart and I love what it does for me, especially now that I"m elderly and not in good health. My computer is my link to the world!

Do I use all the features on my Smart Phone? No. But they are there when I want them. They also work perfectly with my Audi to give me hands-free just about everyone and that's a very good, safe thing.

Make an appoint at the Apple Store for some instruction after the first of the year. They will help you figure it out. But just like with many things, the best way to figure it out is just to USE it. It's pretty hard to mess up badly!

• joyfulguy
    4 years ago

I've often said that it's a poor day in which one doesn't/I don't learn something. I find that I can learn lots of interesting things from knowledgeable people and don't mind asking them questions.

For example, in the grocery there are racks of inclined banks of rollers on which crates of milk roll down to the door of the fridge, sometimes one or more of the five crates at the front at a door is empty and sometimes when an empty one has been sent back on return, the ones behind it don't roll down. When I told an employee of this the other day, that they needed to push down some of the reluctant ones from the back, he came over to the rack, gave it some vigorous wiggles, and the crates came rolling forward to fill the empty spaces. So I found that when I send some empty crates back on return, and wiggle the rack - down come filled crates, for this fairly active old retired guy with time on his hands, as well.

Dad, 28 years older than I, died over 30 years ago and I'd not been closely related to him for over 70 years. When the employee on our large (for those days) farm left to go to World War II, this pre-teen, later teen, and a couple of younger brothers learned a lot about work for several years, so I had fairly close connection with him for several years then.

I find that I often quote some of his sayings and observations on life. He said that when someone says something with which you disagree, including something personally critical, that it was a good idea to consider it, with regard to whether you could well make some changes to improve yourself, but otherwise, it was a good idea to let it go, as water rolling off of a duck's back.

Some seeking for more capability in diplomacy on both sides here might be helpful, useful.

ole joyful

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"Elmer considers me a "fan boy" for Apple, who drinks the Kool-Aid. I say Elmer thinks like an accountant."

Haha, anglo. my professional work did not involve what most people understand to be what accountants typically do. During my career, colleagues and others often suggested that I was mis-cast in my role because of my apparently having a personality and nature not typical of my peers but better suited to what I did than others had. But you can think about it however you want. Or not at all.

To me, a fan boy is someone who offers superlatives about a particular something relative to competitors or others without having knowledge or experience with what those things being compared to can offer. Your comments are typical - Apple is not the center of all innovation. Many smartphone developments have come from the Android world and from component makers and Apple has incorporated them. Same in the PC world. For such things, if all you see is Apple products, you'll think they are Apple advances when often they're not.

Apple does have a swagger and bravado that appeals to some and turns off others. It makes great products and other companies do too. In recent years, Apple's light has not been shining as brightly as before. Over the years I've had to "support" apple phones and Ipads (really the same thing) and I don't like how inflexible they are. When encountering an inflexibility (and there are many), the phrase "that isn't a limitation, it's an enhanced feature" is one I've heard a number of times at Apple stores and from Apple Care. Yeah, right.

There's no one right answer, everyone should try what's available and be happy with what works for them. WIth smartphones and tablets, aside from cheap Android models and except for Apple's elevated prices, they're all much more similar than different capability and feature-wise and that's been the case for a long time.

• SEA SEA
    4 years ago

ritaweeda,

I haven't read most of this thread as a scurcuffle seems to have happened. Just wanted to tell you I've had an Apple 3, 4 and still on my 6. Will upgrade to whatever Apple phone is the latest when my trusty 6 gives up the ghost. I LOVE my Apple cellphone. I watched my kids and husband go through many negative issues with Android phones for years. Then I got an Apple laptop to replace my old PC and let me tell you, it's been so fun and so great--they talk to each other in ways I didn't know I needed haha. It's truly a wonderful thing being immersed in Appleland. (I wasn't a PC hater, just got tired of all the conflicting programs that one deletes and they never really go away, and yes, I am tech savvy)

Anyhow, now the whole family is Apple re: phones and they too feel the way I have for years now. They love their Apple phones and now we are all the "blue bubble" with text messages...that's an Apple funny, btw.

I think you will enjoy your new phone. It will take some getting used to, but it's a user friendly device and not much thinking is required...it just works. I love that.

Enjoy your holidays with your new phone. Take lots of photos!

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

Apple lovers aren’t any different from people who love their Jeeps or a specific brand of appliance. Android lovers are just as devoted to their brand as Apple lovers as well. There’s nothing cult like about it; but seriously, what’s wrong with being loyal to a brand that for most people “just works”? Android developers have been trying to copy Apple’s innovations for years because they’ve always been good at thinking outside of the box.

• Texas_Gem
    4 years ago

Lukki- I would generally agree with you that "fan boys" are present in almost any market.

I will say, having actually had experience with both Android and apple, as well as blackberry and windows devices, I will continue to refer to Apple products as, "playskools my first"

They are as capable of doing almost anything a similarly ranked "smart" device can.

The main difference, in my humble opinion, is that Apple devices are proprietary and generally encourage one to use only their proprietary software in order to do anything.

A few weeks ago, I was sent an email with an attachment in an unfamiliar format. It turned out to be Apples proprietary word document (pages) format.

Now, I send and receive documents ALL the time! I normally have no issues with opening/viewing said documents but this time...I had to jump through a million extra hoops.

I had issues with viewing and formatting. It was, quite frankly, a PITA.

For the OP and, indeed the casual user, Apple is most likely more than sufficient.

If this is your first foray into a "smart" device than Apples proprietary "us only" format will work quite well.

For those of us who use multiple platforms, Apples insistent on "Apple only" products is an annoying hinderance.

• Michael
    4 years ago

The main difference, in my humble opinion, is that Apple devices are
    proprietary and generally encourage one to use only their proprietary
    software in order to do anything.

Does that mean you also abstain from using other products that use proprietary formats, such as Sony, Fuji, Samsung, Yamaha, Lenovo, Toshiba, Google Chrome OS, etc.? Of course you don't. You wouldn't get anything done. There are thousands of companies with proprietary components, from hardware to software. It's what keeps them thriving and profitable.

Developers of proprietary products face a wide range of benefits for
    their exclusive products. The developers of these products get the
    benefit of quality control and revenue from these proprietary products.
    With control over quality, manufactures that they are getting the best
    product possible. With the control and development of products that use
    proprietary goods it opens up an unrestricted revenue base. One that can
    change the financial fortunes of companies.

Apple produces good looking phones that work very well. When that changes people will stop using them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Apple lovers aren’t any different from people who love their Jeeps or a specific brand of appliance. "

I disagree. I've never heard a Jeep lover say that Jeeps are the best cars on the market and nothing else measures up to them. Or, that all auto innovations appear first in Jeeps and others copy them. Have you heard that?

" Android developers have been trying to copy Apple’s innovations for years because they’ve always been good at thinking outside of the box. "

This comment is based on what? Can you cite some examples?

As an FYI, iOS development is in-house at Apple, tightly controlled, and sometimes involves outside contractors and purchased technology. Android development is in-house at Google, tightly controlled, and sometimes involves outside contractors and purchased technology. There are lots of smart people all over Silicon Valley (and at these companies' locations around the country and around the world). They essentially do the same things with the same kind of people. If anything, Google has a stronger draw in recruiting in recent ytears than Apple does because Google is still climbing and Apple seems to be waning.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Apple produces good looking phones that work very well. "

I agree. And so does Samsung, Google, LG, Motorola and others.

I got a new Google Pixel phone about 6 months ago - it's fabulous. I get new phones every 2 years (because I like to have the most current OS software and hardware features) so I've had a good number (and have supported different phones of family members). This Pixel seems to be the best one I've used. Is it the best phone on the market? I'd have no way to know and I'd never say such a thing anyway. Take note, you Apple-ites.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

I hope the OP got all the help she needed a couple of days ago.

• Michael
    4 years ago

kudzu, I hope so too, in spite of all the needless noise.

Last week I bought a white car........Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..you should have bought.......__________________________________

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kudzu and Michael, as usual, there are those who post helpful tips and friendly comments when asked (such as you) which is why I posted in the first place. Then there are those who have to poke and pick and pontificate their astronomical wealth of (knowledge and intelligence?) about nothing that I'm interested in or asked for. Which in that case I find myself just shaking my head and scrolling past just like I quickly turn the pages of a magazine that has too many full-page ads or hit the channel surf button on the TV. I've actually on rare occasions received some very kind, knowledgeable and helpful replies from these same individuals and find it sad that they have the wisdom and the heart to be helpful when they want to but most often choose not to. It's too bad we can't state our opinions here without some having to either take offense or keep egging on an argument and having to have the last word.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

This has unfortunately gotten too common on our country - when you don't like a message and have no information of your own to discuss or refute what was said, attack the messenger.

PS- enjoy your new phone!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    4 years ago

This section is often so quiet...

For the OP, if you happen to live or work near an Apple store, they offer FREE classes on their products. You ( DH) didn’t need to buy the phone directly from Apple, they’re happy to help with any of their products regardless of where it may have been purchased. You can sign up online via Apple’s website. Even if you don’t think you need help, sometimes the classes offer a useful tidbit or two.

As for iOS vs. Android, to me it’s just like OS X vs. Windows. One isn’t necessarily “better” just different. Kind of like asking if English or French is the “better” language.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

For those will Apple phones are you able to screen cast to a TV? We couldn't figure it out on my brothers phone, have no clue what model. In googling all i could find was you need apple TV and he doesn't have that. My android phone I just turn on screen sharing, it searches and finds his TV and I click and it's connected. He couldn't find anything that said screen sharing, maybe his phone is too old? Just curious to know why we couldn't do something on his phone that is so simple on android. Mary

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

There's no mystery. To screen cast from an Android device requires Chromecast, originally in the form of an external Chromecast dongle connected to a TV or now sometimes built in to smart televisions. Or other compatible device or software.

To screen cast from an iPhone requires either an external AppleTV device connected to a TV or the newly available built in AppleTV in some smart TV models.

Google/Android has its system and Apple/AppleTV has a separate one. They essentially are the same and equivalent, but not cross compatible as far as I know unless that has recently changed.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I don't need chrome cast or a cable to fling my android phone screen to be seen on a smart TV. Currently have the LG G6 and I turn on screen sharing it searches and finds the smart TV In the room and I click it and my phone screen shows up on their TV. Have done this at numerous peoples houses to show my trip to Alaska on their smart Tv's and it's so nice and easy. Thought it would be just as easy on IPhones. Mary

• Michael
    4 years ago

My Sony TV (2019) is compatible. Enable WiFi Direct (nice feature) on the Sony TV and use iMediaShare app on the iPhone. I also use Apple TV+ since I have the device.

I have two older Samsung TV's and they connect directly to the iPhone screen mirroring.

Mary, the feature on iPhone is "screen mirroring" and it's located in the Control Center.

• Texas_Gem
    4 years ago

Mary- that's the proprietary thing I was talking about earlier. Apple REALLY wants people to only use their products.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

What software or function on the TV is your phone connecting to?

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Ok we couldn't see that on his phone. Will have him look again. I don't have to do anything on the TV's, they are just connected to wifi and they show up in the screen sharing list.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Ok we couldn't see that on his phone. Will have him look again. I don't have to do anything on the TV's, they are just connected to wifi and they show up in the screen sharing list.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

It doesn't happen with magic. There's something, app or otherwise, on the TV. My smart TV doesn't have anything as described but it does have a Chromecast dongle I plugged in to an HDMI socket for this functionality.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

My 3 smart TV's at home are connected to Wi-Fi and I never had to add anything or do anyrhing special when I set them up so what every they need is there and set up. Same with my brothers TV's and at other people's houses. I just turn on screen share and connect so assume the TV's are set up to do this. When my Mom was in the nursing home they had a huge flat screen in the family room that worked the same. Was nice as she could see family photos on the big screen. Mary

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is just too hysterical. I'm still trying to figure out which ringtones to put on what so that I can hear them across the house and to figure out what all these apps and settings are for and here people are talking about using it for TV?? And it's not just people here, it's my son, his wife and kids, they were over yesterday and they were asking me if I had done that yet. If I may ask without being laughed off of the forum - for what reason do I want to hook up my iPhone to the TV anyways?? I don't want to watch TV on my phone. That's why I have a TV.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

As before, you may not know what it is, but what it's not is magic or automatic

CNET info - From Android to TV

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

rita-

The point is not to watch tv on your phone. It’s that you can stream something from your phone so you can watch it on your tv.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

This is just too hysterical. I'm still trying to figure out which ringtones to put on what so that I can hear them across the house and to figure out what all these apps and settings are for and here people are talking about using it for TV?? And it's not just people here, it's my son, his wife and kids, they were over yesterday and they were asking me if I had done that yet. ”

your mistake was not handing your iPhone to the youngest IPhone user in your family and asking them to fix it, for your needs. My 8 year old friend was able to “fix” what I needed help with in about 2 minutes.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Of course it's not magic. Just happens to be the Tv's I use have it automatically set up so all you do is turn your phones screen share setting on and nothing needs to be hooked up or pressed on the TV remote. Love when wireless is so easy out of the box like that.

Ritaweeda I have a whole folder of my June trip to Alaska and this allows me to cast them from my phone to someone large screen TV for viewing. I used to do this for my Mom at the nursing home with family photos and she so enjoyed it.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Ahh finally read an article that said they added screen mirroring in iOS 11. That could have been why we couldn't find the setting on his phone a few years ago. . Mary