graphic file display annoyance

mtvhike

Usually, when I want to find a graphic file, be at photograph or a drawing, I use the "view/icons" setting. Files which are jpg, bmp, gif, .png, etc. show up well and clearly. Tiff files also show up, but usually more slowly. But PDF or some other files, such as .ai (Adobe Illustrator), .eps (encapsulated PostScript), .dxf (AutoCad), .psd (Adobe Photoshop), .ppt (Microsoft Powerpoint), etc. don't display. I'm using windows 10 but this is not a new problem. I just assumed that these proprietary formats just don't work in this way (of course, I can open them with the proper program. But, I was in a colleague's office and he was looking at the same shared folder on his MAC and the PDF and some of the other files DID show up. So is there some setting I can use in Windows to make at least some of them show up as icons? My current procedure is to open each file in its own program and export JPEG file, with the same file name. That way, when I see a list of files, at least I can see the content of each PDF file!

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

Use View, Details instead.

Click on the column heading to group them together by file type. If file type isn't showing, you need to add it as a column. Right click over a blank part of the column heading area, then add the Type field from the list provided.

Pick a file type you want to put in a setting for, right click over it, choose Open With

Open With, Choose the App

Choose the app (program) appropriate, click on Always. That makes it the default program. You've told the PC to always use the specified program or app to open that file type.

If your PC doesn't have a program that can open the file type, that's a different story. For common file types, there are free apps you can find. For instance, many common photo viewing programs (apps) won't open RAW image files. No problem, there are available free ones that do. You just need to find one you like, download it, and then establish that program as the one to open RAW files

You could send me Autocad files until the cows come home and unless they distribute a free viewer, there's nothing I could do with it.

Save    
mtvhike

The issue is not that I can't open the file, but that when I'm in the file manager/view window and select one of the icons formats, the contents of the graphic doesn't display. If I do as you suggest, the files open with the application I chose, but their contents are still not visible in the view/icons window.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I personally don't find the icon view useful - I find it difficult to use, which is why I have my Windows Explorer defaulted to Detailed view. I can see maybe sometimes with a folder with a lot of image files it may be of benefit.

If the icon view doesn't show a small vignette of the image, perhaps it's a because it's a file format that Windows can't display natively. If so, it is what it is.

Save     Thanked by mtvhike
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Homes My Houzz: Graphic Designer Puts Her Stamp on a Seattle Rental
Her thoughtful collected style makes the apartment a comfortable gathering place for friends and family
Full Story
Accessories 28 Creative Ways to Store (and Display) Your Jewelry
From an antler to an upcycled medicine cabinet, these fashion-forward moves turn accessory storage into decor
Full Story