SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Lazy Butternut and Sweet Potato Mash

nancyofnc
4 years ago

No peeling = simple. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and fibers. Cut 2 large sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Drizzle lightly with some olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, or whatever veg oil, butter, or, like me - none at all. Bake on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup) 450F 20-35 minutes until fork tender. Scoop out flesh from both and use stick blender or food processor to mash them up. Add some liquid if they seem dry = milk, water, veg or chicken stock, or butter. Option: stir in some fresh thyme leaves, parsley, fresh minced sage, finely minced green onions, minced garlic, or herbs/spices to suit your fancy. I sprinkle with some salt and white or black pepper and a liberal dose of sweet paprika on top to make it pretty without adding much to the flavor This is also delicious cold as part of a deli meat sandwich! My DIL adds some light brown sugar or maple syrup for a sweeter version without any herbs or spices. My DD used to mix it chilled with EVOO for a very different salad dressing and added toasted sesame seeds or chopped walnuts.

Comments (3)