SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Butternut, Butternuts, Butternut Squash

booberry85
16 years ago

I grew butternut squashes this year in the garden. They did better than expected. I picked most of them a week or two ago. Now I need ideas of what to do with them! Please post your butternut squash recipes.

Thanks, Boo

Comments (33)

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My daughter sent me a recipe I intend to try very soon. Here's the original, along with her suggested changes.

The official version:
    BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH GINGER
    (from Epicurious - Bon Appit, October 1998)

2 butternut squash (about 4 3/4 pounds total), halved lengthwise, seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups thinly sliced onion
    1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cinnamon stick
    5 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil baking sheet. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes. Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Mix in onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add squash and 5 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon.
    Working in batches, purée soup in blender. [Now that there are stick blenders, you can just use that to purée the soup in the pot.] (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.) Return soup to pot. Season soup with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
    Serves 6.

Hilary's much faster and better version:

1. Forget about dealing with whole squash and use frozen butternut squash pieces (thawed). This cuts down hugely on the time involved in this recipe, and roasting squash isn't the fun kind of slow cooking anyway.
    2. Increase the squash: broth ratio (up to you, depending on the thickness of soup you're after).
    3. Double the ginger and triple the garlic, but only if you really like ginger and garlic.
    4. Skip the brown sugar entirely (this is critical).
    5. If you want to make it more substantial, add diced potatoes and carrots, pre-boiled for 30 minutes. Turnips would work well too. They just end up tasting like the soup, but they make it more of a meal on its own.

• User
    16 years ago

1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp. fresh (or dried) parsley
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl toss all ingredients together. Spoon into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake for about an hour.

• Related Discussions

Butternut squash resistant to squash bugs-How?

Q

Comments (11)
    I only have this year to base my observations on and they didn't quite line up with what I had read. I have a long row of C. moschata with a couple of C. pepo at the end. The pepos are nominally to be a trap crop for the squash bugs since I had read that they were preferred over the moschatas. The moschatas are an experiment to see how well they stand up to svb. So far both sets of plants have been visited by both types of insect. There were pretty much the same number of adult squash bug found on both varieties on a daily basis, so it didn't seem like they preferred the pepos. The pepos have now collapsed from svb, and I haven't bothered to try to save them having had my annual dose of summer squash. They were always destined to be trashed anyway. The moschata have evidence of svb damage on the stems but are not (yet anyway) collapsing. So moschatas being svb resistant? Check. C. pepo being preferred by squash bugs? Doesn't seem like it this year. Bu tlike I said, it's only one year.
    ...See More

Curious squash growing in my Butternut squash

Q

Comments (12)
    LOL.....thanks for asking. It's still sitting on my kitchen counter. I almost forgot about it! It has slowly been turning a bit from it's green color to more yellow. I actually baked and froze half of my yield of the "real" butternut squash, and will include this one in the last half. I will probably do it later this week or next. I'll let you know when I do! I usually bake them whole, but I think with this one I might halve it first, to save some of the seeds, in case it ends up being the sweetest squash on earth.............but I have my doubts. Thanks for asking and I'll let you know. If you never hear from me again, you'll know it was probably poisonous. ;)
    ...See More

Why my Waltham Butternut Squash not producing any female blossoms?

Q

Comments (2)
    I grow Walthams all the time, and female flowers are just luck-of-the-draw. Many fewer of those than male, all the time. Maybe by a factor of five. Of course, in any given season, male flowers come first to attract pollinators. I have heard that if the plant is stressed (nutrition, water, heat, etc.) female flowers may be hard to come by.
    ...See More

green streaks on a butternut squash

Q

Comments (5)
    FWIW, I had a couple of volunteer butternut vines destroyed by caterpillars before the fruit was fully ripe - and the rinds had been damaged by the caterpillars too, so I harvested them and let them sit on the counter. They did not pass the fingernail test, and I didn't have high hopes, but over several weeks, they continued to ripen and the wounds - some of which were rather deep - all scarred over. When I finally cooked them, they were wonderfully sweet too.
    ...See More
  • arabellamiller
    16 years ago

That soup sounds awesome! I'm going to make that this weekend.

Last night I snuck about half of one (already roasted until soft) into a lasgne. No one was the wiser!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dinner

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    16 years ago

Boo,

This is really, really good!! I like to serve it with pork tenderloin.

seagrass

BUTTERNUT SQUASH, SAGE AND HAZELNUT RISOTTO

5 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock or canned broth
    2 Tbs. unsalted butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 butternut squash or other orange-fleshed squash, peeled and cubed
    5 tsp. chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp. dried sage
    1 1/2 cups arborio or medium-grain rice
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    4 Tbs. hazelnuts, peeled, toasted and coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    Salt, to taste

In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and keep the liquid hot.

In a medium, heavy saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and sauté the onion, stirring frequently, until it is soft and light brown, about 10 minutes. Add the squash and 4 tsp. of the fresh sage or all the dried sage and sauté, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Cover and cook until the squash is almost tender, about 6 minutes.

Uncover the pan with the squash, add the rice and stir until a white spot appears in the center of the grains, about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the broth, adjust the heat to simmer, if needed, so that the liquid bubbles and is absorbed slowly. Stir until the liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking, adding the liquid 3/4 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until the rice starts to soften, about 10 minutes. Continue cooking, adding the liquid 1/2 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until the rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, about 10 minutes more.

Add the Parmesan cheese, 3 Tbs. of the nuts, the pepper and salt. Stir to mix well.

To serve, spoon the risotto into a serving bowl or onto plates. Garnish with the remaining 1 Tbs. fresh sage, if using, and the remaining 1 Tbs. nuts. Serves 6.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Butternut is one of my favourite vegetables. Here are a couple of soups that we loved:

6 - 8 servings (My own recipe. I always make too much!)

1 1/2 lbs butternut squash - after baking there should be about 2 cups of mashed squash
    1 lg Spanish onion - peeled and cut into 8 chunks
    1 medium leek - washed & chopped, including best-looking top green leaves
    1 teasp cumin
    1 head of garlic - sliced across top to expose cloves
    2 - 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    200 ml (about 3/4 cup) light cream or half & half
    olive oil
    fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
    homemade garlic croutons (optional) & chopped flat leaf parsley

Utensils needed: oven or toaster oven and roasting pan or tray, frying pan & lid, blender or food processor, large heavy saucepan with lid.

1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 300F

2. Split, quarter and seed butternut squash, and arrange on roasting tray together with cut chunks of onion and head of garlic. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast 1 hr or until all is golden and tender, including garlic.

3. Clean and chop leek, including top green leaves. Sauté in a little oil for in frying pan 5 minutes. Then add 2 cups of chicken broth, turn down to simmer with lid on until tender - about 12 - 15 minutes.

4. When butternut etc is cooked, scrape it from skin and place in food processor along with the onion, cumin, and some pepper.
    Squeeze the garlic cloves - which should be soft and buttery - from their skins and add to food processor.

5. Add some of the rest of the chicken broth and process to a puré. Gradually add the leek and liquid from pan. Process until all is smooth, adding more of the chicken broth as needed.

6. Place the mixture in the saucepan and gently heat. Add the rest of the broth as needed for the desired consistency..
    Add the cream, reserving 2 TBS for swirling as a garnish when served. Check the seasoning - adding salt and pepper as needed.

7. Serve with a swirl of cream, chopped parsley and small homemade garlic-flavoured croutons.

SharonCb

4 Servings -

1 TBS olive oil
    1 1/4 lbs butternut squash, peeled and seeded
    1 medium leek, trimmed
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 medium carrot
    1/2 TBS fresh grated ginger
    1/2 TBS fresh chopped thyme
    1/2 teasp dried sage
    1 small apple, peeled and cored
    2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
    1/2 - 15oz can cannellini beans
    chopped fresh chives
    sea salt and FG black pepper

1. Chop the leeks, using only the white and light green parts. Dice the butternut squash, carrot and apple into 1/2 inch cubes.

2. Heat the oil over a medium high heat in a large saucepan, then add the squash, leeks, onion, carrot, ginger, thyme and sage.

or until the vegetables are slightly soft, then stir in the apple.

3. Pour in the stock and apple juice and

Reduce the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

4. Pour half the soup into a blender or food processor (I used a stick blender) and puree (purée) until smooth. Return the puree (purée) to the saucepan, add the beans and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat until hot and bubbling. Adjust seasoning and serve sprinkled with the chopped chives.

Source: Adapted from - Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green-light Cookbook

with potatoes, paprika and herbs.

with thyme and olive oil.

SharonCb

• mimsic
    16 years ago

arabella: I just read your blog about family dinners. I loved it. My kids are grown now, but it brought back a flood of fond (and not so fond) memories. I especially can relate to the hidden nutrition. About 25 years ago I cooked lunches in a therapeutic nursery school and developed a secret recipe to get a "failure to thrive" kid to eat all sorts of nutritional stuff. He would only eat thin patties that looked like Mc Donalds. Its amazing how much you can hide under cover of ketchup & pickles! I added very finely chopped fresh veges and powdered milk to the meat mixture, something I couldn't do at home, but could in the school kitchen. - M

• lindac
    16 years ago

I sometimes layer peeled slices of butternut shingle fashion in a baking dish alternatly with slices of onion and apple. I make the butternut slices about 1/2 inch thick and the apple and onions about 1/4 inch.
    Srizzle with olive oil and put a couple of dots of butter and salt and pepper.
    Cook at a convenient temp ( what temp anything else is cooking at!) between 350 and 425 until veggies are soft....about 35 minutes at 375.
    Linda C

• valorie
    16 years ago

Coming out of the lurking shadows to ask this ......I love butternut squash, but seem to have difficulty peeling the darn things!! Almost to the point I give up and refuse to ever cook them again. How do you peel yours? Or am I just buying ones that aren't ripe yet?? There is probably a very simple method that I am totally overlooking! LOL!!!

Thanks for the tips!
    valorie

• lindac
    16 years ago

No denying they are hard to peel!
    I cut mine into "circles" and then cut the circles in half and peel the half moons.
    Linda C

• User
    16 years ago

I have hubby slice them and then I can just peel them ... or if he is not here, I cut in half (horizontally) and set on board and peel downwards. They are a pain to peel, but they are also my favorite winter squash :)

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon. I sounds wonderful!

Butternut Squash Soufflé

1 large butternut squash
    3 large eggs
    ½ cup light sour cream
    ¼ cup sugar
    ¼ cup butter, softened
    ¼ cup APF (All Purp Flour)
    1 tsp ground dried sage
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground nutmeg

Remove stem from squash. Cut squash lengthwise into 4 pieces; remove and discard seeds. Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan over med/high heat 10 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well; let cool for 25 min or until completely cool. Remove & discard peel.

Process squash and eggs in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Add sour cream and remaining ingredients, process 20 to 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 for 50 60 min, or until set.

Note: You can use frozen, pureed squash. Prepare frozen squash according to directions, and only use 2 T of butter.

• mimsic
    16 years ago

I roast butternut squash without peeling - Peels are edible! When I am not roasting I try to enlist a son or husband to do the job of peeling. Makes them feel macho - works for me!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Boo, I had a bumper crop of them too, and a zillion potatoes. They seemed to just love all that dry heat we had, while the acorn squash wilted.

My favorite way to cook them is to just cut them in half, remove the seeds and bake them with a little salt and pepper. Scoop the cooked flesh from the rind and eat it. This works well in the microwave too, for lunches at work. Amanda and Ashley like a sprinkle of brown sugar and a bit of butter before baking, I like them better savory than sweet.

My second favorite is to cut the peeled squash into "french fry" type pieces, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 375-400F until browned.

I also like this soup, the sage is a nice addition and my boss gave me some fresh sage, so I used it in this. I only pureed half the vegetables, because I like the pieces in my soup instead of just smooth and I used all chicken broth instead of the apple juice because I didn't want it sweet.

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage

Notes: Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead. Reheat, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Ingredients

2 to 3 cups vegetable or fat-skimmed chicken broth
    1 cup apple juice or cider
    3 pounds butternut squash
    1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and chopped
    6 fresh sage leaves (about 3 in. long)
    Crème fraîche or sour cream
    About 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
    Salt

Preparation
    1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 cups broth and juice to a boil.
    2. Meanwhile, peel squash, seed, and cut into 1-inch chunks (you need 7 to 8 cups).

3. Add squash, onion, and whole sage leaves to pan, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is very tender when pierced, about 30 minutes.

4. With a slotted spoon, transfer about half the vegetables to a food processor or blender. Whirl to smoothly purée, adding just enough broth to facilitate. Pour purée into a bowl and repeat to purée remaining vegetables.

5. Return puréed vegetables to broth in pan. If soup is thicker than you like, thin with more broth. Stir over medium heat until soup is hot.

6. Ladle into mugs. Add crème fraîche, sage, and salt to taste.

Yield
    Makes 4 to 5 servings

I have a dinner roll recipe somewhere that takes mashed butternut squash and that's really good too, I'll have to find it. Mine will get picked this weekend.....

Annie

• nandina
    16 years ago

A bit of history about Waltham Butternut squash. Back in the early 1930's to meet the demand of truck farmers in MA. the Waltham Field Station was established. My Dad was in charge of hybridizing new and improved vegetables. One day he came home with a bushel basket of winter-type squash under consideration for introduction. We ate a different type of squash for dinner every night. I can still see my mother pulling them out of the old combination kerosene/wood stove she cooked on. Some of the squash was watery. Some tastless. Then, one night this funny looking long squash was served. Delicious! Outstanding flavor. I called it "buttery"; can still remember the first time I tasted it. Others at the Field Station commented on its "nutty" flavor. So, now you know how it was named. I remember that week very well because the 1938 hurricane struck New England two days later. No electricity for a month. The area came to a standstill. Mom's old stove cooked up lots of creative butternut squash meals and other experimental veggies as store shelves were pretty bare for a long time. Thanks for the memories!

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Hi Boo --

This is my favorite... It is now a staple at thanksgiving as well as many other times throughout the fall and winter. But this is great thread, as I too got a bumper crop of butternuts from the garden -- at least 30!

Butternut Squash Gratin with Rosemary Breadcrumbs

2 Tbs butter
    4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 pound)
    2.5 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeded, chopped into ½ inch cubes
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¾ cup chicken broth
    Splash of white wine
    3 ½ cups cubed good bread sourdough or the best is roasted garlic bread
    2 to 2 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar
    2 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
    ¾ tsp dried thyme

Preheat oven to 350. Butter 13 x 9 x 2 glass baking dish.

Sauté onions in butter until light golden around 8 minutes. Add squash, thyme, salt, and pepper, and sauté another 10 minutes, until onions and squash begin to caramelize. Pour this into the baking dish, pour broth and white wine over it.

Mix cubed bread, cheese, and rosemary together in a large bowl, then cover the top of the squash and onions with this mixture. Bake covered for maybe 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 10 until top is golden brown and crisp!

Emily

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

This is absolutely delicious! We are having it tonight for dinner to accompany sauteed salmon filets drizzled with Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and Ina Garten's fantastic Spinach Gratin.

Butternut Squash Ravioli

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 to 2 cups (1 small) butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
    1 yellow onion, diced
    8-10 Fresh sage leaves
    Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
    1 pkg frozen Cheese Ravioli
    2 Tbs butter
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss squash, onion and 2 chopped sage
    leaves in oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a roasting pan and roast
    20 minutes, turning once or twice, until tender. Cook ravioli according
    to package instructions. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium
    heat. Fry sage leaves in one layer for 1 minute. Flip and fry until
    crisp, about 1 minute more. Remove from skillet to drain. Reduce
    heat to low, add broth and bring to simmer. Add drained pasta and
    butternut squash/onion mixture. Adjust seasoning, garnish with
    fried sage and sprinkle with cheese. Serves 4.

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I've copied and pasted all your recipes. Can't wait to try each one. I love butternut squash.

Linda

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Boo, I am going to send you the Squash and Pumpkin cookbook that I did last year. You might find some good stuff in it.
    Sherry

• Bizzo
    16 years ago

Too bad DH doesn't like butternut squash (or pumpkin) these look great! I love Butternut lasagna. I haven't tried this one, but have been drooling over it for a while!!

Butternut Squash Lasagna from epicurious

For squash filling
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
    1 cup hazelnuts (4 oz), toasted, loose skins rubbed off with a kitchen towel, and coarsely chopped
    For sauce
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    5 cups milk
    1 bay leaf (not California)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper

For assembling lasagne
    1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, coarsely grated (2 cups)
    1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3 oz)
    12 (7- by 3 1/2-inch) sheets no-boil lasagne (1/2 lb

preparation
    Make filling:
    Cook onion in butter in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add squash, garlic, salt, and white pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, sage, and nuts. Cool filling.
    Make sauce while squash cooks:
    Cook garlic in butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes. Whisk in salt and white pepper and remove from heat. Discard bay leaf. (Cover surface of sauce with wax paper if not using immediately.)

Assemble lasagne:
    Preheat oven to 425°F.

Toss cheeses together. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in a buttered 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish (or other shallow 3-quart baking dish) and cover with 3 pasta sheets, leaving spaces between sheets. Spread with 2/3 cup sauce and one third of filling, then sprinkle with a heaping 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times, beginning with pasta sheets and ending with cheese. Top with remaining 3 pasta sheets, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.

Tightly cover baking dish with buttered foil and bake lasagne in middle of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let lasagne stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

Cooks' note:
    Filling and sauce can be made 1 day ahead and kept separately, covered and chilled. Bring to room temperature before assembling.

Makes 6 servings

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Nandina, nice story!
    Thanks for all the recipes. I usually cut it in half, mocrowave it, and then get the meat out for soup.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Here's one I just came across at All Recipes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Butternut Pizzas with Rosemary

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to try some recipes this weekend!

• mimsic
    16 years ago

Gigi: I love sage but have never fried the whole leaves. I read a suggestion somewhere that large sage leaves, fried briefly, were a great nibble for arriving guests before a dinner party. Always wanted to try it, but shied away because I'm always too stressed in those last few minutes and can often be spotted running up the stairs for a fast splash through the shower at the last minute! I will look for nice looking sage at farmers market this weekend and try your recipe for guests in our succah on Monday evening. This whole thread has been great. Can't wait to try several of the recipes.

• mimsic
    16 years ago

Gigi: Wow, that butternut & ravioli recipe was a big hit! And now that I have tried the fried sage leaves, I will have to add them to my repertoire of things to surprise with. I couldn't find really large leaves but when I do I will use them for that quick nibble I have heard they are good for. Your recipe was what I used for my first course instead of soup. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. For the rest of the meal I made a Red Wine Radicchio Risotto with Asiago (Mario Batali); Steamed Asparagus and an Empanada di Pesce Spada, but substituted Blue Snapper for the Swordfish called for in the recipe. That recipe was in a lovely cookbook called 'Italian Slow and Savory' by Joyce Goldstein. My son made the pie crust for the empanada. I am no good at pie crusts and he loves to bake. The filling was zucchini, onions, celery, pine nuts, raisins, green olives and capers, tomatoes bread crumbs and the fish. Dessert was simply coffee & tea, fruit salad and cookies from the bakery. I put out a sampling of cheeses and those tiny 'champagne' grapes to start while guests arrived. We were 9 adults in the succah (and a 2 month old infant). We have one more night of Succah entertaining and then back to normal life til Thanksgiving. Whew!

• scotland1
    16 years ago

I just cut them in half, sprinkle with S&P, butter, maple syrup and fresh rosemary, and roast. Simple and delicious, but not a way to use up a whole crop!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Lots of us tried this a few years back - and it was really good. it was those darn cookies that created a stir - where to get them - lol.

Butternut Squash Lasagna
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Posted by LoriJean
    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
    Yield: 8 to 10 servings
    User Rating:

Cook's Note: The no-boil lasagna noodles can be substituted with fresh spinach lasagna sheets. Look for fresh lasagna sheets in the refrigerated section of specialty markets.
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup water
    3 amaretti cookies, crumbled
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 cups whole milk
    Pinch nutmeg
    3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
    12 no-boil lasagna noodles
    2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan
    Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.
    Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender*. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
    Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
    Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.
    Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.
    *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash and Shallots (Fine Cooking)

4 servings

3 cups 3/4 -inch diced butternut squash (from a 2-pound squash)
    4 medium shallots, cut into quarters
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
    1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Distribute the diced squash and quartered shallots in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over them and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle the rosemary, salt, sugar and pepper over the vegetables and toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, stir the vegetables and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.

Per serving: 124 calories, 2 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g saturated fat, 489 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Hi Boo. This one is tucked inside Sherry's compilation - but worth pointing out.

Butternut Squash Ravioli
    Filling
    1/2-3/4 large butternut squash, peeled,seeded and chopped
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ¼ lb prosciutto chopped fine
    1/2 cup ricotta cheese
    salt and pepper

Wonton Wrappers

¾ cup butter
    1 ½ tbsp fresh sage

Steam squash until easily pierced with a fork.
    Saute prosciutto in a bit of EVO until just warmed through.
    Mash squash, and add spices, cheese, proscuitto and salt and pepper. Cool.
    Drop a spoonfull of filling in the center of each wrapper, moisten edges with water, and cover with a separate wrapper.
    Pinch edges together and refrigerate until needed.
    Cook ravioli in boiling salted water for about 3 - 5 minutes, drain, and serve with preferred sauce.

Brown Butter Sage Sauce
    3/4 cup of butter in a saucepan over med-high heat until butter turns brown.
    Interestingly enough, this is what happened: frothy, clarity with butterfat globs, clear, frothy, then brown under the froth. Take off heat, and whisk in 1 1/2 tbs. of fresh sage. Keep warm on low heat on back burner.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Hey Stacy - you beat me to it! I was just going to post that recipe. It is one I developed a couple of years ago from several I tried. It really is quite yummy!

Alexa

• stacy3
    16 years ago

ah phooey Alexa - I made sure I put your name on it in my saved file - but then forgot on the post! I am sorry! I made sure it was yours and credited you on my computer - but then when copied and pasted here, forgot to add you...:-(

Anyway, I have made it, and thank you for it. IN fact, after I put it here, I wrote down the ingredients for my trip to the store today! :-)

• caliloo
    16 years ago

no prob at all! I'm just glad you posted it and have enjoyed it in the past. I really love the sage brown butter with it - it just seems to go with the squash and other flavors really well.

Glad you liked it enough to make it again!

Alexa

• mtnester
    16 years ago

Tonight, after reading the suggestions above, I peeled the squash and then cut it into sticks. I've always used brown sugar and cinnamon on squash, but this time, I went for the savory, instead. I drizzled the pieces with olive oil, sprinkled sage on some and thyme on others, and roasted them in the oven, along with cut-up potatoes w paprika. They were sooooo goooood!

Sue

• woodie
    16 years ago

I missed this thread the first time around and so I'm glad to find some new butternut recipes, thanks guys.

FYI for Valorie if you're still lurking - check out the peeler below - its the one I use and it makes peeling butternut squash very easy. Although truthfully, I most often just cut it in half and roast it unpeeled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiss Super Peeler

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor