SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athenaantal

Help with horrible kitchen/1st floor layout

Serenity N
4 years ago

Alright people. I have before you the terrible 1st floor layout of my home (wait until we get to the 2nd floor...it's a doozy. one of the bathrooms is a jack and jill AND FRED. Yes it has THREE different points of entry. But I digress.....). Our kitchen is miniscule compared to the swath of space to its right. It also has 4 points of entry. There are inexplicable bump-outs on the back of the home that we need to try and work with.

With all this square footage, I should be able to eke out some combo of a butler's pantry, a larger kitchen, and/or a hallway somewhere, and help the kitchen feel more like its own room. We have a good budget and want to do this right. We will be consulting with an architect, but I am starting to doodle on my own just for fun.

Goals/ideas:

1) insert a butler's pantry "north to south" between the dining room and what is now the left side of the kitchen. This will push the kitchen farther towards living room, and also give me a more "private" area to do cooking work as well as appliance storage. Kitchen would extend into what is now the EIK. I'm thinking a wall of casement windows along the back of the house, no uppers at all. South facing. Would be great passive so

2) bump out what is now the pantry/coat closet area, and use it for...something. more kitchen? hallway?

3) Halve the width of the powder room, which is unnecessarily large. Use the other half as a hall for the mudroom to dump into the foyer hall and not directly into what is now the EIK. Connect powder room to mudroom with pocket door, so nobody has to come into the house with snowy boots to use the bathroom.

4) One long island, nix the EIK. All in a row you have: formal dining room, an island, and an EIK. That's way too many places to eat.

5) Could change the entry to the dining room to be in the middle, as opposed to on one side. If I bumped into the pantry/coat closet area, this would give me kitchen on 2 sides of the room with the island in the middle.

5) Put a wall between the kitchen and the family room with a wide central opening, either open or with something like a crittall door. With the mudroom door closed off, could put counter on both sides.

Any other ideas to fix this mess appreciated :-)

Comments (12)