SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenhaefeli63

ISO help for paint palette for new construction

J H
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to define paint colors for our home - and contractor pressing to get them.

This is new construction, so I don't really have any pictures to share (except plaster drying.) I know the general color family I would like (blues and greens), but am having a hard time making sure all the colors will flow together room to room in a fairly open concept.

The kitchen cabinets are SW Dover White (which I now wonder is a mistake given yellowish undertones and my interest in blues/greens...but that ship has sailed.) Perimeter countertops are black. Island countertop is marble - white with streaks of light blue. Not on site yet, so hard to match chips to blue in marble. Back side of island is a plaster wall, so will be painted too. Attached is a photo that helped inspire the black perimiter/white island counter concept. Kitchen opens onto dining room, both south facing with large windows and natural view.

We will be using Benjamin Moore paints, and here are a few other tidbits as background:

- I"m trying to maintain a harmonious flow of colors between rooms, while still defining spaces.

- I don't trust myself enough to be certain about grouping/pairing colors.

- I don't care much for neutrals, especially grays and beiges, and also don't care for white walls, but also don't want the paint to dominate but rather be a background to both the view and future decor/artwork.

- I tried staying in BM palettes like Affinity, Historical, and Williamsburg, but didn't find full combinations I really liked.

Below is a list of general colors I'm aiming for, along with some specific colors I've been considering. I'm hoping for help in defining a set of colors (or even guidance on how to choose them) for these different spaces that will work nicely together. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Kitchen: A light, airy blue. (Constellation/Heaven on Earth/Beacon Gray?)

Dining Room: Same color as kitchen, or perhaps one shade darker? Both rooms receive light from the same windows - dining room more fully bathed in the light.

Kitchen Island: A darker, rich blue for the island wall that will go well with the kitchen/DR colors. (Thousand Oceans/Kensington Blue/Schooner/SW Smoky Blue?)

The dining room opens onto a small family room, which is also south facing. That room in turn opens onto the living room, which receives its more limited light from the west. Here I'm looking for the following:

Family Room: A blue/green transitional color to pick up blue from dining room and green from living room. (Palladian Blue, Gossamer Blue, Wedgewood Gray?)

Living Room: Green (Beach Glass, Antique Jade?)

Bonus points if you can suggest a white trim color to go with all of this and/or a foyer color (neutrals more acceptable here) that can be seen from living room.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Comments (2)