SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yookiffer

When to switch over from Fall Garden to Spring in Central FL 9b?

yookiffer
4 years ago

Hi all. I've found lots of info online but am in information overload and could use some advice on when to gut my fall garden and replant for spring. This is my first time gardening.

I have one raised bed I do gardening in which is currently producing well. I imagine things will slow down a good deal over the next months, especially tomatoes etc. but many of my plants, such as broccoli, cabbage, sweet peas, are just about to take off and I'm struggling to figure out when to rip everything out to replant for spring without feeling bad about losing production or not getting an early enough start.

I would leave some things growing and replant others but I need to add soil to the entire raised bed.

How would you all time things to hopefully harvest as much as I can of the winter garden crops without losing time starting potential new cold weather crops and my warm weather crops in the new year?

The UF gardening guide and other references say that you can plant tomatoes outside in January but I'm having trouble believing that. I imagine mid February will be warm enough to transplant warm weather plants.

My thoughts now are that I will tear everything out of the garden in mid or late January.

Would it be worth trying to dig up and replant some of the cool weather crops like lettuce after I add more soil to the raised bed or should I just start cool weather tranplants now inside as well as the warm weather ones?

Thanks much for the help. I'm excited we can grow all year and once I figure out these planting schedules I should be good.

Comments (5)