SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_950241846

rebuilding a 1939 craftsman - porch roof support issue

Mary vanderlaan
4 years ago

Hi. I am thinking of buying this 1939 lakeside home in my area. But the way the beautiful porch roof is supported is driving me crazy. The two outer columns are slightly tapering brick all the way up. The two bracketing the center entry stairs are not there - no sign they were ever there. Instead there are diagonal braces from the brick railings to the outer edge of the deep over hang of the porch roof. I have see many like this here in Muskegon Mi but I don't think that is the way it was originally done. Any opinions on this? I think that they should be replaced with two more columns like the corner ones but the brick will be hard to match so I would have to paint the columns. I wish they had not painted the brick front that weird pinky tan!!

But then again the concrete porch, steps and one side of brick porch railings are all cracked or bulging so there are some foundation issues under porch so may have to be destroyed and re-build from scratch on new footings. The entire roof of house needs replacing anyway and probably the under layments as well though I do not see any actual leaks. House has been empty since 1989 with numerous attempts to rehab over the years. It is gutted except for stairs and fireplace.

Any opinions?

Comments (19)