SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
distar

Help with furniture and lighting layout in new apartment

distar
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

hi all! My wife and I are new homeowners (!) and just moved into our new place after some renovations. I'm stuck on the best way to arrange furniture and lighting in the living room. Floor plan and some current photos attached. My gut says the couch is too big and we need something smaller but I also want to preserve the living room as a space not just to entertain (which we do a lot) but also chill out. We're also expecting our first baby in March, so I anticipate the way we use our space will evolve a lot over the coming years. Lastly, I'm also challenged by the lighting - the fixture in the pics was installed by the previous owners and we like it aesthetically but between the high ceilings, north facing windows and lack of decisions I've made about lamps and such, I'm missing the cozy kind of feeling we had in our last place. I'd so appreciate any suggestions for furniture and lighting placement. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Living room as arranged by previous owners during the showing:

Living room as currently painted and laid out by us (click to see larger for couch placement):

This is our couch:

We have a black matte leather eames chair and the noguchi coffee table. We're open to new buys etc and I know we need some small tables and table lamps to make this work.

For context, here's the dining room as currently furnished (view from living room):

Comments (8)