SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engine36

Master Bedroom Problems! Meeting with architect tomm

engine36
4 years ago

Help! We are trying to finalize our floorplan with the architect. We needed to come up with an idea to reduce total area sq footage. So I relocated our powder bathroom and was able to shave off 100 sq ft. In doing so I made our master bedroom bigger but it also made it an irregular shape because of the private entrance.

Is the box ceiling gonna look strange in an irregular room?

Do we center the bed with the entire room?

or

Do we push the bed/nightstands closer to the bathroom?

We are 100% happy with the rest of the house....this is one room that I’m torn on the way it turned out.

Thoughts? ideas?

Attached are before & after pics

Comments (53)

• User
    4 years ago

I find it odd that your bathroom is about the same size as your master bedroom. Where is your closet? I wouldn't do a double door into the bathroom.

• lafdr
    4 years ago

Your bathroom is ginormous. The toilet is a bit of a hike in the dark, past a protruding tub. I'd swap toilet with linen closet so it is not as much of a hike. There is space for a nice reach in closet where the powder room was, or dressers or cabinets. I think it is ok for the ceiling to be asymmetric. Where do you imagine the bed placement?

• Related Discussions

Concern with master bedroom closet size - Please help

Q

Comments (10)
    I would be hesitant to give up room in my bath area. If you shrink it to 7 x 5 you'll be limited in the size tub/shower you can use and I'd think you'd want the largest you could put in there since this is the MBR. As the other poster mentioned, moving all the plumbing will quickly add up, and moving a toilet is usually the last thing you want to do. Whether you have a slab or crawlspace under your home will be the determining factor. I've included a drawing of how I'd probably do the area. Our last home was similar to yours and limited in closet area, so DH used the spare bedroom and hall bath as his dressing area. I would take the small closet space in your BR and add it to the hall bath closet.......then one of you can use it as your personal closet. If you don't need a double sink, the other option would be to reverse the closet/sink layout I've drawn That would then give you more closet space in the BR but you'd have only one sink. The double sink wall shouldn't need to be there for privacy.......isn't there a door at the entrance to your BR? If you really wanted to get carried away with a remodel........and the hall bath isn't needed by others........you could absorb that bathroom into your plans and make a large bedroom/bath suite! :)
    ...See More

Awkward master bedroom layout

Q

Comments (14)
    I like the bed centered with the fireplace. It tucks it more on the other side for walkways and has less view from the entry. As far as the window seat, I think they're a lovely feature, but how often will you truly sit there? Maybe in a common room where kids are, it would be more likely to be used. In your bedroom, I'd rather have a comfortable chair next to the window to sit and read a book while enjoying the nice fire.:) Will you be needing a place for a dresser in your bedroom or will all the clothes be stored in your closet? I would measure and take into account where any furniture will be placed, so not to be surprised when moving in. Some other thoughts - the her closet looks to have access to the laundry which will be a great feature. But it would be really nice if the his closet had the same. -agree on bedroom 2's closet-that will be hard to access, but a great hiding spot for kids dirty clothes-;) -in your master bath you won't have a lot of counter space. I'd rather have one sink and some drawer storage and a full sized linen closet within. Also, the double doors aren't particularly practical. We've had these in the past and found them to be awkward and lots of times left open, -path of least resistance issue.
    ...See More

choice of floor lamp for a master bedroom (size 20"x14"x8")

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you have any pics of the room you can post to help visualize better?
    ...See More

2nd Floor Layout - Master Bedroom, Bath and Closet 29x20

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the clarification and if we decide to send everything to an architect I will be sure to upload. At this point the builder has told us we have to put down a $5,000 deposit on the lot and $5,000 deposit to send the rough sketches to an architect. With the market being crazy, we are trying to compare what we would be able to afford with a new build vs. what we've been seeing come (and go) on the market. So we are trying to get a general sketch/layout idea of our build to see if the estimated costs are going to work in our budget.
    ...See More
  • cd7733
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In our new build 14'x18' master, we designed an off-centered tray ceiling so that we could center our bed under the fan and have a little sitting area.

I would make your tray this way:

• Rachel
    4 years ago

Your powder room was only going to be 2 feet wide? The addition of the powder room off the master turned the master from 16' x 17' to 14' x 17'... Hopefully it's not 2 feet wide wherever you relocated it to. (why isn't your architect doing their job?)

• bpath
    4 years ago

And btw, do not use double doors, especially narrow double doors, for the bathroom.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rachel the powder room was relocated. It was 4 feet wide And then at that time the bedroom was 14x17. After we relocated the powder we cut 2 feet from the right side of the house...which is how the bedroom ended up 16x17

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also these sketches are the architects, he free hands the initials sketches and then we go in to make changes. Tomorrow is our 4th meeting. So hoping to finalize so we can take the plans to a CAD form.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bbath, we cut the 2 feet off the side of the house because we were already over on square footage and as you can see we had room to spare on this side of the house. On that revision we tweaked the bathroom to center the standalone tub which ended up shrinking the linen which was fine by us. I was able to convince my fiancé to lose those 2 feet but I have no more bargaining chips because i wanted an massive garage and she wanted a large bathroom. So that was my compromise.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa, we got the same advice from our friends and I think we are gonna switch that to a solid door.

the closet is below the bathroom where the barn door is.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a pic with the closet

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cd773

i actually pitched your same idea last week. That very reason is what makes tray ceiling position so important

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lafdr,

The bed is gonna go on the windowless 17’ wide wall, just like cd7733’s sketch.

in front of the bed, will be a dresser. On the wall by the entry door.

And yes the bathroom is huge but I have no say so since I got my 1500 sq ft garage.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Well, she gets to clean all that floor, so that’s up to her. I’d rather have the big garage, too! Wow, my first apartment wasn’t that big...

Will you have towel bars/hooks on the linen door, for after the shower?

Why do you need a dresser in the bedroom, when you have that big closet?

• User
    4 years ago

All square footage isn’t equal.

That gigantic bathroom probably costs twice what your garage does. You’re not cutting in the right places to meet a budget if you’re cutting bedroom space. That’s cheap space. Kitchens and baths are where the expenses lie.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

"the bathroom is below the bathroom where the barn door is."

Speaks volumes.

Verify your "architect" is license with your State'e licensing agency. If they are not licensed by the State, do not call them an architect.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bpath

plan is to do towel hooks on that spot in the shower where it widens near the valves. Figured it would be nice to dry off before exiting shower.

we already have a dresser with our existing bedroom furniture so just making use of what we have.

The new closet is actually barely bigger than the house we just sold so it’s a small upgrade.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If it's a big bathroom, no tub in middle of the room...?

Place toilet where linen closet is, and use tall cabinet for linens [maybe between sinks, if you don't have that already] -

• User
    4 years ago

Whatever you just trimmed off? It won’t be enough to meet your budget target. Not if the remaining bits are the fat expensive stuff like that bathroom and a giant roof to cover a NeoEclectic. You’re cutting the lean bits, not the fat.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was more of a trim to cut some sq footage that was unnecessary not so much budget oriented.

We’re happy with the new size.

The entire master area, bathroom included is only a little bigger than what we just sold.

It wouldn’t be a forever home if we sold our last one to rebuild the same thing

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

I think your bath is ridiculously large. So much wasted space. A perfect place to look at lower your square footage. Are those windows above the vanities? Mirrors need to be above the sinks. Just my thoughts... I hate having to walk totally thru my complete bathroom to get to my closet. I hate that I have to walk past my vanity, shower and tub to get to the toilet. If I'm getting up in the middle of the night it's because I need to use the toilet, it would be nice if it were closer. I would at least swap the location of the toilet with the linen closet. I like separate access from my bedroom to both the bath and the closet. I Don't care to walk through either. But that's just me.

• nhb22
    4 years ago

I am not sure why everyone is bashing the OP over the size of her bathroom. My Master bathroom is the same size. So was the M. bath in my last home. Our future new build will also have a bath as large. It may look huge on paper, but not in person. 16x15 is about the correct size for a Master with two sinks, a make-up table, a large tub, walk-in shower, and a linen closet.

Also, in our last home, we had narrow double doors. They stayed open 90% of the time. Our current home has a pocket door into the bathroom. It too stays open about 90%. Our new build will have the double narrow doors because there is no wall space to accommodate a larger door. Although I suppose we could do the pocket door again. Doesn't matter because they will also stay open most of the time. Personally, I like the look of the double doors. OP, I would switch the position of the doors and have them open into the bathroom.

The large walk-in M. closet is the size of 2 split closets, so again, not overly large.

As for your bedroom problem...is it absolutely necessary to have the entry vestibule? Why not have your bedroom open directly from the family room and then you can center your tray ceiling. However, I do like what cd7733 has done. ;)

• bpath
    4 years ago

Your towels are going to hang IN the shower?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

All in a line against the wall - is their toilet in the back?

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/anya-lane-contemporary-bathroom-phvw-vp~2904014

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cheryl we’re doing sliding mirrors on a track

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Hanging clothes generally take up at least two feet. If your six feet wide walk-in closet has hanging on both sides, you will have less than two feet of space to walk between the hanging clothes.

Clothes closets work better when they are not exposed to moist air.

Large shower have a tendency to lose heat rapidly.

Free standing tubs located close to a wall makes it more difficult to retrieve objects that fall between the tub and wall.

A watercloset in a windowless small confined room is unpleasant to be in.

Is there an offensive view outside the bedroom that would lead someone to provide a large exterior wall void of windows?

The powder room in the one sketch is a real bad idea.

Double doors in a narrow opening that people pass through can be a pain to operate.

Put the barn door on the barn.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Here’s a pic with the closet

If this truly is an architect and not a designer then I'd suggest finding someone else. Why do I say that? Because it's obvious he/she has no sense of spatial relationships. Take for example your master closet.

He/she is showing hanging clothing on two sides and 2 chests on one side. Did you know that hanging clothing takes up 24" of space? Meaning you won't have a wide enough walkway with hanging clothing on both sides of your 6' wide closet! That's architecture 101.

And why does the master closet get prime real estate at the front of the house with three corners? Outside corners are best for public rooms and bedrooms so you can have windows and light on more than one wall.

Additional problems? Why in the world do you need a bathroom that is so large? Including vanities that are 7' long?

Then look at the convoluted route you need to take to get to your master bedroom. Why would you want to walk through your living room to get to your master bedroom?

Why are there windows only on 1 wall in the master bedroom?

16x15 is about the correct size for a Master with two sinks, a make-up table, a large tub, walk-in shower, and a linen closet.

Gee I must be very deprived since my master is only 12'6" x 13'. And horrors, my linen closet is in the hallway and I actually stand at my sink to put makeup on. 16' x 15' is larger than most people's master bedrooms and even larger than a great many people's living rooms.

And please explain why anyone needs a shower 8' long unless it's to have an orgy inside.

• sundowner
    4 years ago

Do you have a shower door? If not, you might think about it. I have a much smaller bathroom with a large-ish shower (maybe 3x9) and it is cold without a door.

• Nicole (CO Z5b)
    4 years ago

I will second keeping the double doors - we have them into the master bedroom and into the master bath, love them. Wish my bath was a big as yours! I do hate toilet closets however, and closet doors that open off the bathroom - first things we changed in our remodel.

• bpath
    4 years ago

If you “flipped” the bathroom, so that the shower and water closet are on the outside wall, they could have windows and a shorter vent fan for the toilet, and the doors could all shift to the left to align better with the walkway at the foot of the bed.

• nhb22
    4 years ago

"Gee I must be very deprived since my master is only 12'6" x 13'. And horrors, my linen closet is in the hallway and I actually stand at my sink to put makeup on. 16' x 15' is larger than most people's master bedrooms and even larger than a great many people's living rooms. "

I am sorry that you feel deprived. :( I myself like the luxury of having a little extra move-around room in my bathroom.

I enjoy not fighting over counter space with my husband, not backing into him when we are both at our sinks at the same time (we have sinks on opposite walls.)

I love having a vanity to sit at, under a window filled with light to help me see what I am doing in my 10X mirror. (I cannot see if I lean over my sink and look into the standard mirror.)

I enjoy having a cushioned stool in the middle of the bathroom to sit on while putting on shoes, etc.

While our shower is not as open or as large as the OP's, my shower is large enough for two. Plus, it has a built in bench that can be used if I need to sit down to shave my legs. I can even put my dog on the bench for her bath.

I enjoy having a separate room for the commode. And it is not cramped. No window, either. I've had them with windows, but there is no difference if you don't ever open the window. It has an exhaust fan and a door opening out to the large bathroom.

Although my linen closet is not in the bathroom (located in the bedroom hallway), there is plenty of cabinet storage in the bathroom for other accessories.

What I do not enjoy, and have only used once in 13 years, is the step up platform tub. However, there is plenty of storage around that area, as well.

I feel very fortunate to have such a comfortable bathroom. If someone wants a large bathroom...why not? Why criticize? Anyway, I believe that the OP was only asking advice for a tray ceiling.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I must say, this has me very puzzled (and now I'm annoyed 'cos I lost my whole post when someone else posted and the thread refreshed).

Is your bathroom really bigger than the patio? Is the patio private for you and your partner, or for guests? If the latter, it doesn't seem very large, by the time you get a table and chairs and a barbecue.

Also, is the shower surrounded by glass? The major view will be of the backside of the tub?

Or, is the shower entirely tiled, which seems to me would be claustrophobic and gloomy...

On the subject of the tub, I'm thinking you might want to have space behind the tub so you can clean. Also, I'm not sure the tub is to scale unless it's one of those short soaker thingies.

I will say, this bathroom would be very helpful for someone who's disabled, so maybe posters shouldn't be rushing to judgment over the size since that might be your situation.

I think I would recommend going to some open houses with huge bathrooms before you make final decisions, just so you can get an idea of scale.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

And please explain why anyone needs a shower 8' long unless it's to have an orgy inside.

An orgy, given the right circumstances, could be all kinds of fun! Especially in a shower. Maybe that's the intention?

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Your bathroom is bigger than the patio? Is that a private patio, or will you be making room for guests out there?

Aren't you going to be cold?

I'd freeze my duff in a bathroom that size. I'd constantly feel chilled. Brrrr.....

Is that shower going to be all tiled in? Since it's behind the tub? I'd feel claustrophobic, and concerned it would be very gloomy. That'll make it feel even colder than just a big shower....

And, if it's glass, your view will be the tub?

Now that I look at it, the tub doesn't seem to scale (the shower is 8'), unless maybe it's one of those short soaking tubs? Aren't you going to need space to clean around the back of it?

I will say, a bathroom this size would be great for someone who's disabled, so maybe that's one of your thoughts here?

I think I'd recommend going to some open houses with huge bathrooms, just to get a feel for how much space that really is.

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

Following.

• tatts
    4 years ago

My master bath is 12'x9' with tub, shower, sink, and toilet and I still hate all the wasted space. I'd rather have it in the bedroom (which is actually plenty big).

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those who are so critical,

There are other things being changed today but i didn’t want to drown the post in details that were non relevant. (Remember the post was asking for help on our bedroom)

One change being the master closet is being changed to 7’ wide.

the shower size is also being downsized a little

yes we will have a shower door

That patio u see is just our private patio. The adjoining patio is larger and it will be for entertaining. Total patio area is almost double the master bath size.

Thanks to the few who actually helped answer the question I was actually asking. Everyone else seems to pass judgement and opinion pretty fast for not knowing someone’s situation.

I guess it’s a good thing the boat garage didn’t make it into the picture or we would be talking about how poor of an investment that Is.

• Lynda
    4 years ago

Just wondering why many of you feel the need to criticize a plan the OP did not ask you to critique? He asked about the tray ceiling. In fact, the original statement said they were 100% happy with the rest of the house.

I agree with cd7733 for placement of the tray. :-)

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Lynda, I like CD7733‘s idea as well

• just_janni
    4 years ago

I don't see you getting furniture into the bedroom configuration. Any chest of drawers of any size won't bend around the corner. A split king box spring *might* - but it will be a spatial challenge.

Overall, I worry about the entrance to your bedroom by the rear window wall of the house. It seems like the wrong spot for it and you'll have to traverse through the great room every time you want to enter it - making difficult to place furniture.

With 10' ceilings, skip the tray. simple is better here.

I don't care how large your bathroom is. My shower will be about the same size. The way yours is set up right now, the occupants will try to share the same space with those showered locations. with this much size - you can have the shower heads side by side and I recommend it. Alternatively, at each end, but then. you'd require a door. You could still do zero threshold.

I do think the linen closet is weird. Too large (larger than the water closet?) and I don't expect you'll spend much time in that room. ;-)

Spatially, I think that there are issues with the master bedroom / bathroom plan, still. Again - it's not the size, it's the layout.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Justjanni,

Our last home had a master bedroom door in a place that if left open u could see into it from the kitchen island. So we wanted a more private entry to the master this time. Also I’m not concerned with using that door or maneuvering furniture around that corner....there is a perfectly capable double door for entry into the master from the patio just 10 feet over.

Also the entry was placed there because we wanted as much window space on the back wall of the living room. If we swapped it we would have lost 2’ of back wall due to built ins. The property is on acreage with no homes in sight if looking out the back so the view took priority here.

The walkway into the bedroom is already a natural walkway because our door to the patio from the living room won’t have furniture up against that wall. If you keep walking towards the other side, this walkway actually splits the kitchen and the kitchen nook & eventually turns into a hallway that leads to the kids rooms.

If you are in the kitchen and need to go to the master that walkway doesn’t interfere with anyone sitting in the living room. In other words u don’t have to walk in front of anyone to get there

i like your idea on the showerheads. Our friends who just built did that and they really like it.

Also that linen closet u are looking at is no more. That’s an old sketch

• acm
    4 years ago

not critiquing the aesthetics, but I am worried about a design that has you squeezing between rows of clothes (you genuinely need 8 feet of width in that master closet) and unable to have two people in your double shower (the placement has both sprays landing in the same spot). I would be very concerned about what similar disasters are lurking elsewhere in this design. it might be worth running the whole thing past an interior expert (say, kitchen/bath specialist or a second architect) before starting construction!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the easiest place to lose 100sq ft is that riduculous master bath Cleaning that will cost as much as having my whole house cleaned and for what/ the 1 hr a day you spend there . The closet as mentioned is too small the bathroom too big and 8’ shower you will never be warm I never like access to a closet through a bathroom A freestanding tub needs at least 1’ all around it . I have issues with a lot of this design and can’t beleive an architect would have not gotten even the closet right. BTW 4 visits with an architect is not even close to what usually happens so don’t hold your breath. IMO 11’ ceilings arejust a waste of heating and cooloing and anytime you arrange 2 different heights in one space you will make yourself crazy trying to layout furniture and lighting. A home has to be funtional and that comes first then the other pretty stuff . A patio needs to be larger than a bathroom for sure .

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If you can see the large bathroom how does one miss the much LARGER patio?

Also the closet will be wider it’s just not reflected on the sketch yet.

Again we are making the changes today that aren’t reflected in the above sketches.

• just_janni
    4 years ago

It looks like you have it all figured out - best of luck on your build!

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Goodness gracious people, some individuals like large bathrooms. Harsh criticism and mocking is uncalled for. Personally, I don’t think the master bath is overly large. There are some logistical things here that might present problems, but all these can certainly be presented in a way that doesn’t make the op feel like a complete idiot.

Good that you are widening the master closet....6’ is pretty narrow.

Someone mentioned that free standing tubs should have two feet open all the way around them for easy cleaning. This is not necessary in your case because your tub will be completely open in the front and both right and left sides. This affords you easy access behind the tub for cleaning (as long as the tub has several inches behind it)

Your towel area might not be as dry as you’re anticipating depending on the actual location of your shower heads. In our shower we incorporated a dry area as well but it’s 11.5 feet away from our shower heads. Anything within 6 feet of the heads has the potential for water spray (and if you have body sprays, that’s another thing to consider). Just something to think about.

As far as things being cold when showering, a large shower with no door does have the potential to be chilly if you choose not to install a door (you can always install one later....plan for it just in case). We have a fairly large shower and don’t have a door, but it’s configured in such a way as to trap the warm air inside it.

Someone suggested the bathroom doors swing in (whether double or single, swinging into the room is better)

cd7733’s suggestion regarding the tray ceiling would work fine....I would add cans on the flat part of the ceiling near the doors to the patio.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

How did the meeting go with architect Tomm?

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nid day

the towel things isn’t a big deal....I’ve just seen it done before. It doesn’t make or break anything for us. We’ve got the linen right outside the entry and we can place a towel rack on the wall just as u exit shower

and yes to shower door

I also think we’re just gonna X the tray ceiling all together and just do some beams or nothing at all

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

I think deleting the tray is a good move.

• engine36
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cd7733

just add a remote dimmer switch and you’re all set

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio