Anyone seen the Mr. Rogers movie

kathyg_in_mi

With Tom Hanks?

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eld6161

Yes! I just started a thread over in Home Deco Conversations.

I really enjoyed it. I did sometimes find the way Mr. Rogers spoke and react to things a bit childlike.

The two friends I went to see it with felt it was too heavy. One review I read said that you don't see enough of Mr. Rogers. I disagree.

Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
functionthenlook

I have no interest in seeing the movie. I was sick of hearing about the movie before it even hit the theaters. Why? Because I live in Pittsburgh. I was 12 when the show started so I was never really into it and my DD and DS really never liked the show either.

1 Like Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
Mrs Pete

I have no interest in seeing the movie.

Me neither. I was always a Captain Kangaroo girl.

functionthenlook

Oh ya, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans. Loved that show. Also another local show I liked was Ricky and Copper. To me it seemed like Mr. Roders was lecturing kids and not talking to them.

I almost forgot about Sherry Lewis and Lambchop. Another good show.

kathyg_in_mi

We watched Soupy Sales with White Fang and Black Tooth!

4 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I don't want to see the film because Mr. Rogers was a favorite of mine, and I would not want to be disappointed. His kindness was palpable to me. And I loved all the films he showed of how things were made. My mother found him corny when I was little. She changed her tune when she watched him with my kiddos.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
Michele

Mr Rogers was kind and loving. I went to see the documentary a few years back but I won’t go see this. The documentary got me teary eyed a few times.

PRO
Anglophilia

When my firstborn started watching TV (he'll be 50 in Feb!), I watched Mr Rogers Neighborhood and found him a little creepy. Mr Rogers was just so "nice" that it seemed at bit odd to me. But over the years, I came to appreciate his quiet, slightly prissy manner. And my son (and later my daughter) loved the show and Mr Rogers! It was on right after Sesame Street and it was a nice way for my children to calm down a bit after all the Sesame Street energy and excitement. My daughter found videos of his old shows and her two boys grew up watching them. She just liked his kind, caring way and that calmness. I think that show is an acquired taste and requires truly listening to the messages he's giving.

Yes, I loved Captain Kangaroo and Mr Greenjeans and my children watched them in the morning while I was straightening up the house/making beds etc.

I grew up on Howdy Doody.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
chisue

We'll probably skip the movie. DH and I watched Kukla, Fran & Ollie when we were kids in Chicago. We and our DS loved The Muppets. Mr. Rogers was *just* for kids -- geared entirely to them -- whereas adults could appreciate Kukla and the Muppets.

patriciae_gw

No kids so I never watched it. I too watched the Captain-though not because of Captain Kangaroo himself, I had nothing against him, he just didn't interest me, now Grandfather Clock? I would wait breathlessly for him to finally say something, but he never did. Sigh... Oh well, there was Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog. My own mother tried to spoil Magic Drawing Board for me by telling me there was someone behind the window drawing backwards but for me that was even more amazing. I did see a Mr Rogers special and didn't find the puppet bits compelling but I am old. I disliked that Rabbit and Moose on CK. They were mean.

phoggie

I have seen this movie. Although I thought it was rather slow in places, any reminder that it is always better to be kind, is never time wasted.

liira55

Never saw an episode of Mr Rogers, I grew up watching Mr Dress-Up and the Friendly Giant. CBC tv in Canada was the only channel we got in Northern Ontario.

arcy_gw

When I was in college I found it astonishing to walk by the community rooms in the Student Union and find the TV on Mr. Rogers and all the seats FULL. I never watched him as a kid and didn't really ever introduce him to mine. Mine watched Barney. I watched Mr. Green Jeans and the Captain...cartoons...The movie does interest me. I think we will go see it this weekend as a family. I work with three professionals who very much behave and respond as Mr. Rogers does. It is grating at times but it seems to be what students who have been through trauma need to learn to trust and come out of their shells.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
Annette Holbrook(z7a)

I was 2 1/2yo when the show debuted, so the exact audience it was aimed at. I watched it throughout my childhood. I recall deciding it was hokey at some point, but that is what is supposed to happen, we outgrow and move on. Then recently I watched the documentary “Won’t you be my neighbor” and realized what an amazing human being he was. His expression of empathy and understanding is something that is missing nowadays. I won’t go see the movie as I feel like the big screen is best for action or sci fi, I like dramas to be viewed at home. I’m sure we’ll see it when it comes out on pay per view.

jemdandy

Have you noticed that in all of Mr. Roger's episodes, he kept his arms covered with sleeves? I've heard it rumored this was because he had tattoos on his arms from his armed service days and did not want these to show for fear these would negatively affect the mood of the show. Have you any knowledge confirming this or something different?

bpath reads banned books too

Mr. Rodgers’ books were a valuable resource for my toddlers and me. When we were going to go to the doctor, the dentist, or moving house, we‘d read the books beforehand. They were straightforward about what was going to happen, never sugarcoated anything, and both my kids referenced back to the books when they went through those experiences. They’d re-enact something from the book, or recite some of the text, or just nod, because what was happening was in agreement with their expectations.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Mr. Rogers was not tattooed. A Google search shows many sources citing this as a false rumor. Mr. Rogers was shown coming home from work. He would not be wearing short sleeves with a coat and tie.

nickel_kg

I had very little exposure to his show. In years since, some of his quotes have become famous. Kind, gentle and wise -- what an admirable reputation.

Elmer J Fudd

I was in high school by the time his show started so I had no experience with it as a little kid. I have to say I always found him to be a bit creepy - it was as much his slow speaking style as well as the sometimes bizarre things he'd talk about. None of my kids liked the show.

Creepy in the same sense as the book Goodnight Moon. Maybe because as an adult his unusual approach to little kids didn't resonate with me? Anyone else see him the same way?

norsetex

arcy_gw I also noticed back in our student union center Mr. Rogers show would be on . Tim Madigan, was a local Ft Worth reporter. He wrote a book "I'm Proud of You" My Friendship with Fred Rogers . Our Library Friends group had him come for an author event . I enjoyed his story and I liked the show , along with Captain Kangaroo and others .

Mr. Rogers touched many people's lives, not just children.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7

I went to see this movie today because my friend wanted to see it. It is a movie that I won't forget. Perhaps our society would benefit from more movies whose characters showed positivity, kindness and decency.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
bpath reads banned books too

Elmer, I found him a little creepy, too, when I was ten and up. But of course, I wasn’t really his demographic. When I became an adult, I appreciated him much more! And my kids liked his books that we read for upcoming events and life changes.

I remember my grandmother likes to watch him. And she liked Bob Ross, whom I also found a bit creepy. But now I like to watch him, too! I have heard that both shows are popular with the elderly (uh oh, do I qualify as elderly yet?) I wish they’d show their shows at Mom's memory care!

Michele

As a kid who was bullied, I look back and know part of the reason I loved him and the show was because of the loving, calm peaceful tone. Evidently he was bullied as a child.

I’m pretty sensitive to the “creep” vibe. From my view, he was the furthest you could get. Respectful. Even of children. Peaceful and loving. I think we could use more of that in this world.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Pop Design Pop: 7 Home Lessons We Learned From Mister Rogers
With the film ‘Won’t You Be My Neighbor?’ set to debut, here are ways the TV host’s ideas can live on in our homes
Full Story
The Unofficial Houzz Academy Awards for Movie Homes
Grab a front-row seat as we hand out honors to superb homes featured in 10 flicks. The envelope, please ...
Full Story
Tastemakers Houzz Call: What’s Your Favorite TV or Movie Home?
Movies and TV shows capture our hearts with their settings as well as their stories. Which on-screen houses do you love?
Full Story
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More