SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

A good rug goes bad!

IdaClaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I will preface this by saying that I have a bit of a rug fetish. I have Persians and Navajos and Bokharas and others in my home, and I love them. They wear beautifully and even the occasional cat hork just cleans right off them. I have long found it a joy to live with beautiful rugs.

For about the past year I've had a vintage Turkish wool rug in our master bath. A few months ago, I started using it as a bath mat, stepping out onto it briefly as I put on my slippers. Because I towel dry in the shower, the rug only ever got lightly dripped on, if even that.

Over the past week or so I've been noticing an increasingly musty odor in the bathroom. It's been a busy week so I've sort of blown it off, but last night I got down on my hands and knees and began sniffing around. OMG. That rug smelled like death! The stench when I got my nose down on top of that thing was unreal! I dug around some in the fibers and it looks like there may be green stuff growing way down at the base of the knots. (There is no discernable backing on the rug.) It instantly went out to the garage and I cleaned the floor like a madwoman and all smells lovely again.

I've suffered through the agony of disposing of a smelly Pottery Barn rug in the past (it was a widely known issue at one time with their rug line), but have never had one that just suddenly sprouted such a vile stink. Left to its own devices, I have a feeling something like mushrooms may spring up from it before too long. So freakin gross.

Anyway, I guess this is just a PSA to suggest you sniff your rugs from time to time and beware the use of a vintage Turkish in the bathroom!

DH put the offender in the trash. Good riddance, smelly ...

Comments (25)