SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
recordaras

Powder room light fixture - help needed

recordaras
4 years ago

We are currently redoing our powder room. We’ve added wainscoting that will be painted white and the walls will be a navy (BM Van Deusen Blue). Here are the fixtures I have so far, but I’m pretty lost about what to do for a light fixture. Any ideas/suggestions? I’m not sure if I should glam it up with a small chandelier, or do the opposite - get a simple flush mount and let the rest stand out.

Comments (41)

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately no good before photos of the space, here’s the best I have (courtesy of the 2014 listing and inspection report)

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That should say CEILING light fixture of course. The sconces I’ve already chosen.

• Related Discussions

Powder room lighting help needed

Q

Comments (1)
    I would say the rough in box will be about 4" round. Then it depends on the size of fixture you select. My fixture is 5" wide and I have them sitting about 5" from the mirror on each side. But it could sit a bit closer.
    ...See More

Help - need new Powder Room mirror & light fixture

Q

Comments (1)
    We recommend a round mirror like the one featured in the space found HERE. We also recommend doing a similar lighting style if you plan to use this space to get ready in the mornings. We suggest sticking with the metal tones you've already chosen for the pulls and faucet. Try switching back and forth to prevent it from leaning too much on one metal, i.e. because your faucet will be close to the mirror choose a trim that matches the pulls for the mirror.
    ...See More

Need Help Finding Pendant Light for Small Powder Room

Q

Comments (2)
    Love the look of this but am not sure if it comes in a smaller size Hyvo LED Ring Pendant by Elan Lighting I have also seen this Ceilo mini pendant grouped in 3 at different heights, offset to one side and they look stunning. This one by Ceilo?
    ...See More

need help w powder room color and lighting

Q

Comments (20)
    Depends on the look you are after and if you search modern power rooms on Pinterest you‘ll see lots of ideas. It’s important to consider the entire space before making individual decisions, especially the lighting and mirror. I’m not really able to get a sense of the sink area. Is sink centered? Is it just the photo, or is the counter high (and made to feel even higher with the vessel sink and tall faucet); if so, the mirror choice is really important in creating the right proportions. You may have to test a few styles/sizes and also test height In regards to accommodating the faucet. I’d forego painting wall behind toillet and add large, impactful abstract art. Suggest a smaller modern towel rack and some seagrass basket(s) under sink to take the focus away from the plummimg.
    ...See More
  • Allison0704
    4 years ago

How high is the ceiling, and will the door clear the fixture if a chandelier or semi-flush? I like your choices so far. DD2 just did a master bathroom remodel and used brushed brass fixtures. Check West Elm - she bought several fixtures from the website. On sale, great prices. I received a Key Reward Pre-Sale email today. but not sure when sale starts if you are a rewards member (also includes WS, WSH, all PB, Rejuvenation - sister stores).

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, there is currently a small chandelier in there (12” or so) - the powder room is right off the entry and the chandelier is the first thing you see when you come in, which got me thinking that maybe I should do something a little more noticeable. Ceilings are a little over 8’. This is actually my first time owning a place with a powder room - all my previous condos had just one bath - and I am ridiculously excited about having a fun space like that!

• trishca
    4 years ago

How about a flush-mount crystal light? Your choices are beautiful.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@trishca thank you! I was actually just looking at something similar at Lamps Plus, it’s such a pretty style.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

The Mitzi Sophie coordinates well with your lovely choices. Hard to know if a chandelier would be worth the while without seeing the whole space. What's your budget for the ceiling fixture?

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tartanmeup I will try to take a better picture tomorrow. Granted, everything is mid-remodel and a giant mess right now, but hopefully it will help. I think I’d like to keep it under $300 or so for the ceiling light, so elaborate crystal is unfortunately not an option.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What is your style? How do you want the room to look? Traditional, transitional, modern, contemporary? That will help us help you.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Girl I’d say transitional if I had to pick one.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I think the Sophie one looks very nice. I just was browsing and spotted this one which I think could work nicely as well. Coordinates nicely with your other lovely selections and it's really low $.CAMBRON

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@salonva thanks, I have a few similar ones saved as well! Now if only I could decide on which direction to take this, ha.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I like the simple classic vibe of that fixture, salonva.

Allison mentioned West Elm and I had a peek at their site last night. This fixture was on sale for $79 but at $99 today, it's still pretty affordable. I like the sculptural quality to it. Simple yet echoes your mirror's lines. Not sure about the brass finish though. Also, I didn't check to see if it was approved for damp locations. My advice: make sure bulbs are easy to change. I have light fixtures in my house that make us curse any time a bulb burns out. :)

What is the sconce you chose? Is it part of a line that offers a ceiling light as well? If the line is well designed, the different fixtures will harmonize rather than look matchy-matchy. A great way to simplify decision making.

What type of light fixtures do you have in the rest of your home? What about your entry which is near your powder room?

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tartanmeup that is also lovely! I swear lighting is the hardest thing to choose - I like so many different options it's just so hard to narrow things down.

Regarding other light fixtures in the condo it's pretty much a blank slate right now. We are in the middle of a remodel and are taking down every single light fixture that the old owners had. The entry has a recessed light, which I am considering converting to a flush mount. We will have a few modern ceiling fans without lights - in the bedrooms and living room. I'm considering LED light bars for vanity lighting in the full bathrooms.

Here's our floor plan, and also a drum light that I chose to go over our dining table plus the Matthews Fan for the living area.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, and to answer your question the sconces are Mitzi Olivia, which is why I thought the Sophie would be a safe bet.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Recordaras - I love the first 4 photos you posted, and I'm a decorator and a realtor. Gold looks fabulous with navy walls. I love the sconce in the first picture, as well as the mirror and pedestal sink. If you don't have the sink already, (and it's in budget), I would get the sink with three holes for an 8 inch spread faucet. I find that configuration depicts higher end without costing more. I also love the mitzi sophie overhead light. All these work very well together for the transitional look you are going for. I also like the drum light for the dining room very much. The only thing I would rethink is the Matthews fan. It is a VERY modern look that I feel does not jive with your other choices. Otherwise, I think you are on the right track.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

A safe bet is often a good bet, especially when getting settled in a new place. Don't overthink this one element. You can always "upgrade" the fixture at a later date, if you choose. I'd go with the Sophie and use the walls for eye candy (art). But that's my take on it. There is no single best way to decorate a room. Agree with Design Girl about the fan.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

The dining room fixture is pretty simple compared to your powder room choices. What style is your furniture? Would this work in the DR?

Loft Shade Chandelier

Or this, half the price and brass

Presido Gold Chandelier

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

recordaras - what a fun project. Congrats on your new place. Lighting is EVERYTHING in my book. You seem to like pretty plain things, which is fine, but not very exciting. Transitional is a combination of traditional lines but done in a more modern style. So, I think you can always go with much more fun in a powder bath. I would decide if you like the gold or black best. Gold is all the rage right now, so I'm loving your powder room picks so far. I would do a ceiling light that is no higher than around 12". You want 7' below any light fixture so people don't hit their heads on it. So watch for that. This bathroom would sing with some wonderful wallpaper. Since you are doing the Van Duesen Blue (one of my favorites) here is a wallpaper you could use above the wainscoting. btw, wainscoting is very traditional? you could just put a chair rail up and paint below it to give the "feel" of wainscoting but less cost and work. That would be an update of a traditional look. I will hunt for some lighting choices for the powder room for you. bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

This fixture would pair beautifully with this wallpaper and the gold framed mirror and your gold sconces. A bit over your budget on the light. The wallpaper is pricey but you could just do the one wall above chairrail so it wouldn’t take much. I would do a mock up but the last revision if Houzz messed up everything so unable to do at this time.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would paint the ceiling same color as walls. If you get this wallpaper I would take to SW or BM and have them color match the background color. Hard to see but the tree trunks in the wallpaper are gold! It would be awesome.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the input!

@Design Girl the sink/faucet is kind of a long story - I was initially going to keep the existing pedestal sink, so I purchased the single hole faucet for it (which I LOVE - Moen Flara), but then I tried cleaning it and it was a disaster (sides sloping downward, so all the water you are trying to use to rinse off the faucet ends up on the floor). So we ordered the new one, and at that point everything was kind of crazy so I defaulted to just getting single hole to match my existing faucet vs having to exchange it. So at this point the single hole version is here to stay, which might not be a bad thing since we have a baby and I hear that kids learning to wash hands do better with a single handle.

Regarding the ceiling fan, I get it, but unfortunately I really, really like the look of this style of ceiling fan, and more traditional designs just do not appeal to me. This specific one has gorgeous real wood blades too - I've been drooling over it literally for years! We do tend to run fans year-round pretty much non-stop, and when they are moving you really don't see too much detail, so hopefully it won't clash too much. We have some more modern/contemporary things going on in the kitchen too.

@tartanmeup that's actually a good point - at this stage I'm about ready to tick as many boxes as possible and not overthink it. Buying this condo was a long time coming (we had the longest closing in the history of real estate I swear - okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but only a slight one), so I've has months and months and months to mull over these things. Now I'm just ready to get out of this 700 sq ft rental!

@Allison0704 'm actually quite conservative when it comes to decor (aka tend to play it safe), so the PR is the only space where I'm really letting myself follow my heart! The rest of the house is going to be quite a bit more neutral. I absolutely LOVE that second brass chandelier, however I'm actually planning on having black accents throughout the house (curtain rods, picture frames, window sash locks, kitchen cabinet hardware etc.) with brass as a secondary accent thrown in here and there in smaller objects like candle holders, table lamps etc. I wonder if I can find something similar but smaller for our dressing area...

@Flo Mangan thank you! The wainscoting is already in - that was one of my splurges that I had a lot of doubts about, but it already looks just like what I imagined even before being painted. We plan to stay in this condo for a good 10-ish years, so we decided to allow for a few things that make the heart sing. I considered wallpaper too, but ultimately decided that that can be added later - there's already so much going on that I can barely handle it, ha! When we moved into our last condo all we did was get the space painted and do a deep clean, that was quite a bit more simple than today!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ok. All good additional info. You can do a white framed piece of art on the VDBlue wall for nice accent. Some have used wallpaper for the art and then just matted it and framed it.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, definitely planning to add something framed and matted in white! If I had half a chance of being able to keep it alive I’d also add a white orchid. Unfortunately plants and I do not get along, they wither and die almost immediately under my care.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I love the Horchow lighting fixture Flo suggested!! Very pretty. Flo's design plan is fantastic, as usual. Really depends on your budget for the room, priorities, taste, etc.

• PRO
    Condovate Interiors Inc.
    4 years ago

Do sconces without a shade or stem. consider a more geometric design and alabaster or glass like this example from Circa Lighing

https://www.circalighting.com/castle-peak-small-bath-sconce-ks2060/

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Following

• lulu bella
    4 years ago

I love your selections and just about all the suggestions on the thread. I feel your pain at deciding but at least there are so many good options. I really like the mirror; where did you find that?

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@lulu bella it’s the Uttermost Duronia mirror - I had my eye on it for a while and yesterday saw that it was on sale at Allmodern.com for $50 less, plus they had sent us a 10% off moving coupon so I pulled the trigger! The pedestal sink is 24” and the mirror is 22”, so that should work fairly well. Hopefully all the golds/brasses match up okay!

• salonva
    4 years ago

Just wanted to mention that the fixture I linked, the Cambron is only for dry so scrap that one!

Your selections really are beautiful I think, and I particularly love the mirror. Although I am much more traditional/transitional I also like the fan you selected.

The fixture Flo suggested is stunning.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Out of curiosity, wouldn’t a powder room count as “dry”, since there is no extra humidity from the shower?.. I always assumed that to be the case.

Also managed to snap a photo of the existing lights - they are 12” in diameter and hang down 21”. I really like how the chandelier is visible from the entry. Apologies for the mid-remodel mess.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I would have thought a powder room was considered a "damp" location.

Any reason you aren't using the existing light if you like it?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You will never get enough humidity in that powder bath to be a problem with any fixture. Do what you want.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The actual fixture is really quite... cheap is the only word that comes to mind. It’s acrylic “crystals” and some kind of very lightweight (tin?) metal. It photographs a lot better than it looks up close unfortunately!

• salonva
    4 years ago

Good to know about the dry/damp bit with lights. learning something new all the time.'

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

You haven't found a similar tiered fixture in your preferred finish and price range?

• lulu bella
    4 years ago

hi -- just checking to see if you found your light fixture?

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@lulu bella thanks for checking in! I haven’t purchased it yet, but I think I’m going to go with the attached crystal flush mount. It’s fairly heavy, so I decided to take a look at how the existing light is attached and... it was hung using a small rectangle wall box like you’d use for light switches, sigh. Unfortunately I caught this after the ceiling was prepped, but fortunately my electrician is pretty good at being careful with drywall.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am also absolutely in love with the Van Deusen Blue in Aura Matte. It looks like velvet and I just want to touch the wall! Not a great picture, but here is the progress to date. I can’t wait to actually put the lights and sink in. Move in date is 12/23, so there is an end in sight!

• lulu bella
    4 years ago

That color is just gorgeous. And, I am sure the light will be wonderful. It's what you did have in mind all along so it's great you found a good one! Please post pix when it's done. You have made beautiful selections.