How much do you pay for water?

kadefol

We usually pay $57 - $60 per month for two people via AquaSource, which has a monopoly in this area. This is for around 3800 gallons per month. Family and friends in other areas think that is really expensive, is it?

SaveComment62Like
Comments (62)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Around $50. But we just had a change to a new water company and they are charging some of my neighbors crazy amounts up to $800! Many over $100. And it's not the amount used that's remained the same it's the addition charges. They have been reported and there's now an investigation going on.

Save     Thanked by kadefol
ritaweeda

Zilch! Well, we pay for the electricity to the pump. We got very lucky with the well water here, it's like spring water, actually has some slight fizz to it and it has no iron or sulfur in it like a lot of water wells here in Central Fl have.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
Bookwoman

Just looked at our bills, and we pay about $100 a month for 4,000 gallons.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Average monthly bill here (Seattle) is around $170.00 (family of 4 using approx 50G per person daily). But that is only during the off-peak season (Sept. to May). During the peak season - our summer drought months - there is an additional 3 tiered commodity surcharge based on various CCF (100 cubic feet) levels. If you have a lot of garden to water in the summer months, you can be looking at water bills easily in the hundreds of dollars.

Seattle has - or used to have - the highest water rates in the country.

lindaohnowga

We pay something like $21,60 a month, but we don't use much city water except for taking showers and washing clothes. We buy bottled water for drinking.

1 Like Save     Thanked by kadefol
jrb451

kadefol, we pay about the same as you per month in the cooler months for 2-3,000 gallons of water. I have a neighbor that grows roses "competitively". They said they've had a $500 water bill before in the summer.

My wife has 1,000+ Daylilies. Fortunately we live on a lake and pump water from that for the garden.

kadefol

Thanks, now I don't feel so bad about our bill. :)

Raven, good thing they are investigating, that is outrageous. Hopefully yours will stay down. AquaSource has lots of charges as well, just the base charges for water hookup and routing, plus additional taxes, are close to $50 per month.

Rita, I am jealous. We have friends in a different county way up on a hill and they have the best well water. It is crystal clear, not many minerals and tastes wonderful.

Bookwoman, that sounds pretty pricey too, where are you located?

Linda, same here. We don't drink our tap water nor give it to the cats, it reeks of chlorine.

Jrb, lake water availability for your garden must be so nice. Would have been great during our very hot, very dry summer.

Gardengal, yikes!! We lived in WA State years ago (Tacoma) and I don't remember water being particularly expensive but what got us was heating oil for our old house. Very painful whenever the oil furnace had to be filled up.

Save    
Bookwoman

kadefol, I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Lukki Irish

We’re in the well camp too and haven’t paid for water in a very long time. If the average bill is 100 or so per month, then our savings paid for the new pump and tank we installed within 18 mos. I wish I could say that we don’t have a lot of minerals like Ritaweeda, but we do have to have a water softener to take care of that. The costs reflected here are kind of scary. The last time I paid for water it was only 25.00 or so.

nicole___

Us also. Well water. It's delicious! We used to pay around $67 in the Winter, $107 in the Summer.

SEA SEA

We are billed quarterly. I just looked at my bill and it is $500.00 for water and sewer. Due to this bill being for summer usage and we do have a front and back yard landscaped, we flip into "tier 3" for part of the year. During the winter months our water bill usually drops to just under $300.00 a quarter when we come in on "tier 1 or tier 2"--lower rates per gallon.

We do drink our tap water, but only after I've sent it through a Pur water filter as the water company over chlorinates it. It used to be the nicest, best tasting water in the land before they started to add chlorine. Our plentiful at the time house guests from the city used to bring several 5 gallon water jugs with them when they would visit to fill up and bring back home with them. Once the chlorine treatments started, the 5 gallon jug fill-ups ended.

ritaweeda

Although our water is crystal clear and delicious, it does have a lot of minerals in it from the lime-rock that is underneath all of the state of Florida.

functionthenlook

Ours usually runs $63 a month for water and sewage. There is 2 of us. Ours comes from one of 3 rivers. We still have a old well, but only use it for watering or cleaning outdoor stuff. We don't use it for washing cars. Too much sulfur and iron in the well water. It is drinkable though.

amylou321

Between 50 and 60 dollars for 2 people and 4 fur heathens. Just for water. We have a septic tank so no sewer and the garbage pickup bill that used to be combined with water when we lived in the city is separate now. 4 dollars a month. I do not know the exact numbers but i think we go through a bunch of water.

Mystical Manns

We used to pay $35 - $45 a month. Now, I'm on well water and only pay occasionally to maintain the well. Last year it was $20 for my half. LOL

Olychick

Lucky to be on a community well - 10 households - and pay $10 a month for unlimited use of delicious, untreated water. I do try to be careful, in the drought months especially, because if the well goes dry there are no other options available.

terilyn

Thank goodness we are on a well, being on acreage and having the pool resurfaced several times, I can’t imagine what our bill would have been. We only have the septic sprinklers, so out come the hoses during the summer!

Elmer J Fudd

A shocking percentage of home wells are contaminated. This is especially true for those who live near agricultural areas. "Near" doesn't necessarily just mean across the street either - aquifers can go on for many dozens of miles and be contaminated by just a point source. Even for wells seemingly far from any sources of potential problems, dangerous contamination can also result from minerals, poisons and compounds contained in the ground. Or from outflow from septic tanks that makes it into the water table.

It's a good practice to have home or small community well water tested regularly.

Michael

Our water supply is provided by a 501(c) NP company. Our current rate is $21 month for up to 3,400 gallons (Tier 1) We've never exceeded Tier 1.

Our sewer is a county operated facility and not based on water usage. For a single family residence it's $28 per month.

DawnInCal

Well water here too.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Just looked at my bill. It’s 34 dollars for something like 12000 gallons. I don’t water my lawn, but I have huge flower beds and lots of new trees. When we got here, it was well water. I am still using it to water some flower beds, but it was discovered that there are high levels of Uranium. For once our politicians moved fast and made sure the water company ran lines right away.

HU-629454853

$50 for 5000 gallons for house and apartment together. $20 for electricity to deep well for garden. Lake house is $30 whether I use water or not.

jemdandy

Just today, I paid my bill for one month. It was $76 for 2 people, but the bill includes charges for water, sewer, storm water, and fire station.

ghostlyvision

We're in a municipal water district (MUD) and pay about 45.00 for 2000 gallons water/sewer, we also pay a yearly MUD tax of around 700.00 (currently, up from ~650.00 last year).

terilyn

Elmer, we have our water tested regularly. Thank you for your concern and letting everyone know.

Elmer J Fudd

I'm glad you do. Many don't, unfortunately.

Lars

My last water bill was for $13 for the house in Cathedral City, but I'm only there on alternate week-ends. We do have a bit of evaporation from the pool, but evidently, that is minimal.

Kathsgrdn

Between $30 and $75 a month for me and sometimes one of the kids if they come here. Summer and Spring are more because sometimes i have to water the garden.

arcy_gw

Our own well here. MIL used to FREAK the water was charged by the use of the sewer..somehow...but I think the OP was buying water from a second source not tap water...

arkansas girl

It is usually right around $80 a month for sewer and water. Seems very high to me, especially since we are just 2 people. If I do any exterior cleaning, it will be higher, closer to $100 a month. It doesn't hardly pay to wash our cars at home!

ladypat1

About $35 a month, plus the same for wastewater fee. About $60 a month in July and August. Kansas City area.

functionthenlook

Arcy, your MIL could of been right. Our sewer cost is based off our water usage. I don't know if they make people put in a meter that are on well or estimate what the average is the water consumption would be for that size househouse.

Lukki Irish

City water doesn’t necessarily mean uncontaminated or safe water though. I don’t know about anywhere else, but new mandated testing laws in our state have discovered several communities with high lead levels in their city water and one had higher levels than Flint.

Bluebell66

Our latest quarterly water/sewer bill was $166. That included occasional lawn watering and shower/laundry water for 3 additional people we hosted for two of the months. We are typically around $150 per quarter.

PKponder TX Z7B

Fort Worth, TX area

We have bundled municipal services (sewage, trash pickup, recycling pickup and storm water utility fees) so our bill is always over $100. Our rate for water only is $3.02 per cubic foot based on our usage which falls at the first tier of under 1500 cubic feet. Prices are increased based on monthly usage, for example 4000 cubic feet usage costs $4.20 per cubic foot.

I am really trying to be aware of our usage since clean water is a finite resource and I am feeling really pleased that my attempts to be 'water-wise' seem to be paying off. Our usage for 2 adults, 4 animals and a large (1/3 acre) lawn and garden to water in the summer averages 1000 cubic feet per month. We shower daily and have plenty of laundry too so we aren't being stingy with water, just aware of usage. I capture water in the shower while waiting for the hot water and collect a couple of 5 gallon buckets a week that I use in aquariums and outdoor water features. We are also allowed to capture rainwater for garden use. I know that some areas don't allow that.

kadefol

Yes, water preservation is important. From what I've read, the Edwards Aquifer is being decimated by the huge population increase in the San Antonio area, combined with the intermittent droughts.

We have a septic tank so no sewer fees, but our trash pickup costs $40 per month.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

pk, I think your units or prices are off. I suspect you mean $3.02 or $4.20 per HUNDRED cubic feet, which is 748 gallons and referred to sometimes as 1 CCF or 1 unit. If you used 1000 cubic feet, that's one unit of 100 CF (100 cubic feet) 10 times = 10*$3.02= $30?

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"We are also allowed to capture rainwater for garden use. I know that some areas don't allow that."

I have never heard of anywhere you could not 'capture' rainwater for use either in the garden or in your house. That's why they sell cisterns and rain barrels and create rain gardens - to harness and reuse rain water!

I am aware of areas where you need permission to use graywater on your garden. But graywater is very different from rainwater.

Olychick

I wonder if there are regulations regarding letting rainwater remain standing in uncovered containers in high mosquito areas? Perhaps it can be captured as long as it's in a covered rain barrel or cistern?

lonestar123

We spend about 43.00 a month for water about 8000 gallons.

chisue

Water is part of a city bill that also includes police and fire pension, garbage pickup, sewer, and a utility tax. The water portion is $4.60/1000 gallons for up to 10,000 gallons; $5.90/1000 for up to 60,000 gallons; $6.30/1000 for over 60,000 gallons.

We're paying about $60/month for everything *except* when we are using our irrigation system a lot. There's a flat water rate of $15/month -- plus usage. Total is about $30/month. (Usage is 10,000 - 11,000/mo. for two adults.)

Our city has its own water plant that treats water drawn from Lake Michigan.

Until a few years ago most residents of the City of Chicago (to our south) had no water meters and a very low flat rate. Then the city realized they had a utility going *untaxed*!

kadefol

Rain water harvesting in Texas:

Rainwater harvesting is legal with some
regulations. House Bill 3391 states that the collection system needs to
be incorporated into the design of the building and a written notice
needs to be given to the municipality.

The "needs to be incorporated into the design of the building" may
not be widely enforced. Most people who collect rain water around here
store it in free-standing external tanks that are not part of existing
structures.

Save    
Michael

In my community a residential irrigation system requires a separate meter. The current irrigation price is $12 per 1,500 gallons. Reasonable.

kadefol

^^ Very reasonable. I wonder how increasing droughts and populations are going to affect our water prices

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

My most recent bill for TWO months was $390. The water alone was $244 for two months; sewage charges were an additional $94 and the rest was for insurance for my main water line and main line to sewer. It's well worth the cost as those are VERY expensive repairs.

I have an in-ground sprinkler system and one of the best things is that there are no sewage charges for that meter (yes, a separate meter). Sept/Oct were VERY dry months and I was watering each zone daily for 20 minutes to keep everything from dying. Even then, I lost 3 azaleas. Paying for water is far less than the cost to replace a significant amount of very established landscaping. I just cringe and pay the bill.

Olychick

^^ I don't think prices are going to be the biggest problem, it's going to be availability. Places with little or no available water and growing populations in those sunny/warm/desert areas are going to be looking even farther away for water sources. And I don't think the areas with more water (thus less expensive mostly) are going to be willing to part with their water to supplement a population growing in what should be a mostly uninhabitable climate without supplemental water and air conditioning.

We have abundant rain in the PNW, but with climate change we are facing more drought conditions, as well as booming populations and water is going to become more dear to us. It is unlikely most people would be willing to share, raising our own rates and risking scarcity so that there is water to maintain golf courses in the the desert.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
matthias_lang

$73 per quarter, so $24.34 per month, flat rate. Our water comes from the Mississippi.

kadefol

There are already water wars in some areas of the US and it will only get worse. That is one of the reasons we are planning to leave this area, droughts are becoming more frequent and lasting longer. Combined with ever hotter temps in summer and rapid population growth, water availability is likely to become a serious issue.

2 Likes Save    
HU-955941711

I pay $5.15 per 1,000 gallons. The sewer rate on top of that is $6.80 per 1,000 and the taxes and 'infrastructure fees' are about $15.00 per month.

summersrhythm_z6a

We pay about $120 quarterly during the summer months. We have a lot of rain here by the Great Lakes (1-2 rain days per week), so free water for the garden. At the country property the water and sewer are free, we have wells and septic tanks over there, but we did pay $1,000 water bill to fill up 75% of the pool (20'x40') when we put in a new liner last summer.

pudgeder

Another home on a well.

All we pay for is the electricity to run the pump.

marilyn_c

It has averaged $36 a month....on community water. We have always had a water well before living here, and recently had one drilled here. When we build a new house, we will go on well water. Right now it is just piped to the pastures and where I grow roses and waterlilies. We don't drink the water here. I haven't met anyone who does. The water company sent out a statement that the chlorine they add has interacted in a bad way with other properties in the water, and their solution is going to be adding aeration to the water.

sjerin

Some years ago a columnist here used to refer to our water company at "The Golden Spigot." I thought and continue to think that is an apt name for it.

Angela Id

11.63 this month for 3K Gal

greenshoekitty

with all the added fees the town adds about $65.00 and I get a discount . Without the discount the bill would be $90 to $95.00 a month.

katlan

Well water for us also. Haven't had a water bill in almost 30 years, since moving to this house.

kadefol

Aqua Source has bought up all the independent water companies in this
area so they have a monopoly and we don't have an alternative. I sure wish we'd bought a house with a well.
Even annual well testing and maintenance average out to much less than
what we have to pay for water. We looked into drilling a well a few
years ago, but this property doesn't meet the 3 acre minimum requirement.

Save    
Lucille

I pay around $8 at my apt.

caflowerluver

It is $80 per month for 11,000 gal in summer and $25 for 4000 gal in winter. Plus $20 service charge each month. That is about $7.30 per 1000 gallons. We are on septic so don't have any other charges. Water use is for 3 adults and watering on 2.5 acres during summer. We stop using drippers once the rainy season hits.

cynic

Water itself isn't much but the water bill is $50-$60 per quarter, including sewer, recycling, street light utility, misc taxes and other "fees" they tack on there so they can hide it from people who watch for tax increases.

kadefol

^^ Yes, our actual cost for the water we use is about $20 per month, the rest is for various fees and taxes.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

My water bill has more than doubled over the past 15 years or so, and is going up another 3% on Jan. 1 (that 3% is for usage, not the base fees.) My usage has not. So a bill for 6 ccf (my highest quarter of the year, and that is only when there has been a significant lack of rain) has gone from $50 to $105. Our sewer charge is based on the water consumption and is part of the bill.

The reason given is the need to pay for improvements to the storm and septic sewers ( the city is under a consent order to reduce sewage overflows into the streams and rivers).

I made an experiment last year, an big effort to save water. I cut my water use by 20% but my bill went down by only 10%, reflecting how much of the bill is base fees, not usage.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech Plug Into Home Power Monitors That Pay for Themselves
Stop throwing away money on wasted electricity with help from new monitors that work with your phone or computer
Full Story
Moving How to Avoid Paying Too Much for a House
Use the power of comps to gauge a home’s affordability and submit the right bid
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Dark and Daring Pay Off in a Den Redesign
Indigo walls and woodwork, textured furnishings, task lighting and a media center turn a neglected room into a family hangout
Full Story