SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Husband's Upcoming Retirement: How Did You Cope?

LynnNM
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My wonderful DH is retiring at the end of this year. It's been a too-long time coming, but it IS time. We're both still healthy, mobile, and are looking forward to more traveling, here and abroad. And, more time spent with both of our adult children who live in Augusta, GA, and Colorado. BUT, I'm surprised and saddened by how stressful this is for us both. Depressing at times, as well. DH has absolutely loved practicing medicine these many years. He's the kind of doc that patients love and feel very close to. And he feels the same way. We've both realized that this would be painful at times, but the stress and depression for us both is taking the joy and anticipation right out of it. For DH, it has taken 2 years to find another physician that he felt would take care of his beloved patients the way that he does. Now he has, the papers are signed, the commitment is made, but he's fretting and complaining about everything. The attorneys, The paperwork. The time it's taking for this other doc to "shadow" DH day to day. The weather. The you-name-it! I realize how hard this is, saying goodbye to all of his patient-friends, but he's making life for us both so stressful! He vents to me many nights at dinner, and that helps . . . him. I let him and encourage it as he needs my strength right now, but it's taking a real toll on me inside. We have talked about this, though. He understands, because he's a smart, wise, caring man. He holds back a lot, I'm sure, which I feel guilty about.

AND, although I've been able to talk about this all along with my many wonderful sisters and brothers, and their spouses, back in Michigan, my closest girlfriends are all DH's patients and he wouldn't let me tell them until just now. He's sending out letters to all his patients this week. He's also been telling those that come in this past week in person, which is both healing and stressful for him. And then he (rightfully so) brings that home to me.

I keep telling myself that this will end for the most part after his last day, December 30th, but it probably won't for a while after that. I usually love the Thanksgiving through Christmas Season, but I can't seem to get happy or motivated for it either this year. We also have the retirement party coming up in about 3 weeks for DH's patients. Thankfully a business is taking care of the major planning for that. I am also needing to throw a smallish retirement one for our closest friends. Perhaps between Christmas and New Years. Why then? Because I'd like to have it here in our home, but it takes me a long, exhausting entire week after New Years Day to pack everything away again, and our home looks so beautiful and festive for Christmas. I may need to rethink that one, though!

But, these days, and for the foreseeable future, my life is VERY unsettled and stressful!

I'm having trouble sleeping, which is very much not me! My appetite is pretty much gone. My doctor has given me something to help lift my moods when it gets too much for me, which isn't daily by any means. It helps, but I'm very reticent to start relying on them. This is also so not like the "before me"!

I would love to hear how you and/or your significant other have coped with the immediate time before (and after!) retiring. BTW, I'm 8 years younger than DH, but I "retired" several years ago. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for letting me vent (whine) some here today.

Lynn

Comments (44)