SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladypat1

Do/Did you worry about who you are once you retire?

ladypat1
9 years ago

I am going to teach another year, then retire. I will probably go back and substitute some, since I know lots of the students and teachers. But who will I be? Teaching has been such a major part of my life. As trying as teaching can be sometimes, I get lots of positive feedback, and know that I do make a difference for some. I am retiring because I am so tired physically and mentally, that I have no other life when I leave school. I am missing out on living. I am truly planning ahead with hobbies, projects, social occasions, etc. When I retire what will I be good at? Will I need/ miss that positive affirmation? How has retirement affected your self image? Has it been a hard adjustment?

Comments (34)

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

I made a decision at age 62 to walk away and I've never ever regretted it for one second. I finally feel that my life "belongs" to me with out all the obligations and duties to perform for $. My husband retired at 58. He's never missed it either. Your new life will be filled with so much joy as you are in charge. You can stay up all night if you want, go on trips without planning, be more spontaneous, try new things. It's like the movie the wizard of oz when it goes to technicolor. I haven't met a single person who was miserable about being free lol.

ladypat1 thanked Yayagal
  • badgergal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't worry about who I was or would be for even 1 minute. I worked as a Speech Pathologist in the public schools for 34 years. I retired 8 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. I did work part time for the first 2 years after retiring. After that I started doing what I want when I want. I joined a golf league and a community women's club. I meet with fellow teacher retirees every other month for lunch. I seemed to be able to fill each day without trouble. Last year I did start watching my first and only grandchild and it has been pure joy. If I hadn't retired I would not have had the opportunity to do so. Can you tell I love being retired?

ladypat1 thanked badgergal
  • Related Discussions

do you worry about moving plants?

Q

Comments (11)
    LL you've had colder weather than we have here a lot further north! Are you in the mountains? Seamommy, cute story, some plants just surprise us, don't they! I'm either too old, too lazy, too tired, or too smart to move as many as I used to altho I moved quite a few this year as we made new beds and I moved the extras! I frequently used to move plants, sometimes the same plant several times in one year but I've never worried about them, just moved them to a better place and watered well. I don't move them in the heat of the day or when it's really hot and forecast for more heat. This is a dry climate so can't depend on rain and I dislike watering a lot and babying plants so am trying harder to get them in the right places. I also have very few losses as that's no fun at all for me. Here in zone 3 I don't move anything past about mid to end of August when I stop fertilizing altho I probably could.
    ...See More

did you go back 'home' when you retired?

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd ask him to list the things that make him want to go back: then see if those things are really there or just his longing for the way things used to be. Sometimes we tend to glorify the good things & forget about the bad. You don't mention the size of the city where he wants to move. Does it still have the amenities, entertainment sources, restaurants, etc. that you both like? What are some of the issues facing the community? We live in a small town where many have moved away; however they keep their home (or parents home when they die) so that they have a place to stay when they come back to visit or can someday move back. But the world they knew it as is no longer reality. The businesses have changed (or gone), the friends & family they knew are no longer around, people don't neighbor like they used to, etc. I'd test the waters before committing. Go back & stay for a month or so. If you want to get out of the city, make a list of the features you'ld really like in your new place and see if his hometown can provide those things.
    ...See More

Do you plan to move when you retire?

Q

Comments (33)
    I have been thinking a lot about comfort zones since Katrina. People refused to get on planes to go to states with low unemployment rates, and inexpensive housing so I asked myself where I would be willing to go. I am from Washington State. I would be pretty comfortable going to Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, the Dakotas, and Arizona. Anything else seems too far away, too foreign, too unfamiliar. I think this carries over into retirement planning. I couldn't go to Georgia because it is too far away. Until it got too expensive, people from Washington who wanted a warmer climate when they retired went to Caifornia. Now it is Arizona and Arizona is where I plan to go. It seems to me that people in the Northeast are more likely to stay on the east coast. I don't know what people in the heartland do. Do you go to Texas, New Mexico or ? Part of it is that I don't want to be more than a 3 hour plane ride from my children, but I think there is more to it than that. There may be very little difference from one state to another, but I don't know that and something in me seeks the familiar. Coming from a "blue" state, I will settle into the only "blue" county in Arizona. I would like to be more adventurous, but I always find myself seeking out the familiar. Someone I knew years ago had moved to Washington from the east coast. She said that it was so important to her that television was the same everywhere. Some people derided her comment because of her reliance on television, but I think I know what she meant. Once while visiting in South America, I found myself watching Plaza de Sesamo (Sesame Street) just for the familiar characters.
    ...See More

Do you worry about blue light from your screens?

Q

Comments (14)
    Ive had a lifetime of issues with sleep-- starting in childhood when I used to get up after the house was asleep. Over the last few years, I have made a point of disconnecting from most electronic devices between 9/9:30 pm.. I say most because I go to bed to read on my ipad. This has made a HUGE difference in my sleep. I go to sleep easily and sleep well until I wake up at 5/5:30. I don't and can't credit getting off the electronic devices (because I am still on the ipad) .. but I do credit the mental disconnection from work obligations and the (addictive?) temptation to check one more site, read one more post, watch one more episode. Truly, I think it's the disconnect from work and other obligations that has made the greatest difference. I go to bed relaxed... and stay that way until I log into work in the am.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    9 years ago

I worry about it for a number of reasons.

My dad retired for a couple of months at 75 after breaking in an associate for a year and splitting the salary with him. The associate (40), lasted a few months by himself and resigned having realized my father was doing much more than half the work. My father went back full time and retired again at 79-1/2 and I think he was a little upset that he did not die in his sleep the first night he didn't have to get up the next morning. He covered for his new replacement for the next couple of years. He's almost 91 and is still allowed to drive and do pretty much whatever he wants.

One of the issues in my family is that for several generations back, we have had people reaching 100. I can't imaging that I could retire at 65 and not run out of money before I reached 100 at the current interest rates, even though I put a lot away for retirement.

I may not be able to do actual surgical procedures, but I think I will have to do something that is an actual occupation.

ladypat1 thanked palimpsest
  • violetwest
    9 years ago

nope, not at all. I've never defined myself by my work, and have a pretty strong sense of self otherwise. Worry about other things; i.e., money, health, but not that.

ladypat1 thanked violetwest
  • OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Not worried about it at all. I've retired once and took over 3 months off without doing anything.at.all. Well, I did work around the yard, cleaned up things in the closets, visited with friends, took some trips, you know, all the things you've wanted to do when you retire but didn't have time for. Then I went back part time for a year doing consulting for the people who took my job, and I'm still at it. Love my job and the people I work with, but I'm pretty much getting ready to retire for good. And I am ready to do it this time.

ladypat1 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • annac54
    9 years ago

I'm not retired (yet), but have been thinking and planning for it in a few years. I have some friends that have retired and they are very happy. They now have time to learn, do, and see things they have wished to edo but didn't have the time till now. One has found a new career as an artist and teacher. Another is chasing a long time dream of making it to the national finals of a competition. Another has moved and found new friends and ways to be involved in her community. I think you will remain the basic person you are, you will just be doing different things.

I'm willing to retire as soon as I am sure the finances will handle it. I have so many things I'd like to do, but only have time for a handful at present. My DH on the other hand, needs to find something that interests him. He used to participate in one of the motor sports, but circumstances make it unfeasable for the forseeable future. Since he is younger, I will probably retire a few years before he does. I hope he can find something interesting to become involved with. He has been so invested in his job, that he has little energy for other things, except project around the house. He's someone I would worry about in retirement.

ladypat1 thanked annac54
  • joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I retired in December after 18 years as an admin asst with the school system. Even though I haven't had a chance to enjoy it yet due to some nuisance health issues, it still beats going to the office. The decision to retire at 62 was easy....I liked my job, but not my boss or the atmosphere. I don't miss it one bit. The best thing is no alarm clock.

I still haven't been able to tackle anything on my to do list, but I will eventually once the health stuff is resolved. DH will probably work another two years and in the meantime I have plenty in the house to keep me busy. My good friend works part time so looking forward to seeing her more often, taking walks in the nice weather, etc.

If you sub then you can transition to full retirement slowly. It could go either way...you will either miss teaching and sub as often as you can or decide you dont miss it as much as you thought and find other ways to spend your time. I think very few people regret retiring.

ladypat1 thanked joaniepoanie
  • eld6161
    9 years ago

You can have the best of both worlds. I know people who have made their entire career just being a sub. I agree with Joanie, you can test the waters, and see how it feels to work less and less.

I work part-time and really like my job and the people i work with. My DH has been retired young but keeps busy managing real estate that we own. I know there will come a time that he will want to be in Florida, at least a few months of the year. This will probably mean me quitting my job. Although I don't define myself with this job (not in the field I trained for) I will miss the routine of going to work and my co-workers.

Some people just like what they do and don't want to quit working. My BIL is 67 and had to move his dental practice because the building was sold. His wife felt that this would be a natural time to retire, but BIL didn't feel ready.

ladypat1 thanked eld6161
  • palimpsest
    9 years ago

The original owner of my practice was basically forced to retire by his wife at his 65th birthday. She was only 53. The problem was, they continued to spend money as if he had a booming practice instead of as if he was retired. They were essentially bankrupt in 10-12 years.

On the other hand my SO's father was encouraged to retire at 52. (Contractually) He will probably live to be close to 100, given his genetics. They live pretty modestly and they should be okay. He also had a ton of hobbies and/or small job-like occupations.

ladypat1 thanked palimpsest
  • debrak_2008
    9 years ago

Everyone I know who is retired or no longer working has plenty to do. Some work part time, volunteer, pursue old and new hobbies, help out family members since they are free during the day, etc. Some have had to stop answering the phone because they can't keep up with all the activities they are invited to or asked to participate in. Its all in your attitude.

ladypat1 thanked debrak_2008
  • jlc712
    9 years ago

I have mixed feelings, because I long for the day I can retire (10 more years), but I know I won't have enough money, even with my pension. I will only be 53 when I reach my full 30 years. Health insurance to bridge until I reach 65 is another huge concern.

I am very excited to do something different, and have the freedom to choose what I want to do, quit if I want to quit, and look for something with flexibility instead of the weekly drudge of early mornings, commuting, and strict scheduling. I am so tired of hurrying all the time!

ladypat1 thanked jlc712
  • ladypat1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From listening to all of you, I will be enjoying life and redefining self image. That's great. And yes, I guess subbing will help with the transition. Women in my family live to mid 90's, and money will always be a concern, but if I don't retire and have a life, I may not make it to that age anyway. Thanks so much for all your personal stories, it helps.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I definitely worry about this but also more and more find myself yearning to be free!

I love my job and find great personal satisfaction in both the process and results of what I do. Much of the core of my work entails individual counseling which is deeply rewarding and I love the age cohort I work with-college students are a tremendously energizing, funny, bright and engaging population. I thrive on routine so my work life is a source of structure. It fills a lot of my social engagement needs since I've got a group of colleagues I like and who I've worked with for a long time. Earning my own living is and has always been extremely important to me and I"m paid well, enough to know that my financial situation is secure.

But....over the past few years I find myself feeling increasingly resentful of the constraints of having to be somewhere every Monday-Friday and not just 9-5; as a senior admin, I'm on call by my dean and much of my work requires evenings or weekend activities. I am tired to the bone of an increasing work load of event planning and miscellaneous office administrivia that has been placed on me. Have run enough events and programs that I never want to talk to another caterer or organize another day of show timeline for the rest of my life. On those beautiful mornings when I'm headed in to the office, I think longingly about what it would be like to wake up and know that the day is mine to do what I wish. I wonder though what life is like with all of what I've liked about the job cast aside along with the parts I don't like. Can I find something else that will keep me feeling needed and engaged? Do I really need to basically find a 'job' in retirement which seems to be the general wisdom (you know, all that "retire to not from" dogma)? I don't have any passions or hobbies that I find as stimulating
    or engaging as my job. Love to read but not sure spending time lying
    around with a good book 24/7 is particularly realistic or healthy
    retirement goal! Should I just step away and let life unfold? Lots of questions and I don't know the answers. For now I'm staying put and trying to think about the next stage on the path. I haven't seen it yet but it's out there, I'm sure.

• Michael
    9 years ago

For us, it's all about having a purpose for getting out of bed. We're on the go from 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM. I had no idea retirement would be so fulfilling. Although we retired from full time professions, we have retirement professions that align with our past. I manage and sell for my own specialty handyman service and my wife is an accounting consultant.Sometimes we serve the same customer. I won't fully retire as long as I have a purpose.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've been retired for 4 years now, DH for 14. He is very happy in the routine he's developed for himself. I am happy in mine. It was a really rough go for me on many levels before I retired, and it's taken me many years to heal.

Retirement has allowed for expansion in my life....mainly free time to learn to be me again. While I defined so much of my life by my job of over 30 years, all along, I knew I was not my job. I am so much more than a name or an avatar or an occupation or a gender or a spouse. None of those things can define me. I'm with awm on that.

My social life and my entertaining schedule has increased and there's much fulfillment in spending time with friends and family I never had time for when I was putting in so many hours at work. I'd even say in many ways, I've returned to humanity. I've rediscovered creativity in ways I couldn't express when I was working.

What has diminished is my stress level.

It was funny...years ago, I was getting a facial and we got talking about the physical change and she said that often for women there is an emotional change. She told me at that time that I was ready to retire, though it took me a few more years to listen. Wayne Dyer talks about it in the Shift: ...the spiritual journey in the second half of life when we long to find the purpose that is our unique contribution to the world. The powerful shift from the ego constructs we are taught early in life by parents and society—which promote an emphasis on achievement and accumulation—are shown in contrast to a life of meaning, focused on serving and giving back.

Retirement has definitely made way for me to enter into that second half of life journey. Is it any wonder that, in general, people tend to be happiest in their 60s?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I will still be me. I have already "retired" once, but was not old enough to totally walk away. The next time, I will be doing something that I love to do, rather than something that I need to do. I already have a third and fourth vocation in place (Life-Cycle Celebrant, instructor) and I also plan to volunteer at a couple of agencies and our county park system.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Pal, et. al., re finances, if you've socked away some money and you know you're going to need it to support you in the future, it's worthwhile to get a financial advisor who can help your money grow. No need to rely solely on interest rates for returns...rather invest it wisely and it can support you well into the future. Look for one who is compensated in a way that aligns your interests with theirs. Here's a guide on selecting one.

• User
    9 years ago

I looked forward to retirement for years before I could actually do it. It's wonderful! I spent too many years "on the road" working LONG days and for too many years 7 days a week. I longed for the day when I could stay home. Money is an issue but it would be an issue no matter how much or low little I have. There has not been one second where I wished I could go to work. I walk through my house and acreage and can't help smiling; it's so good to be home. I am very careful to not get sucked into every volunteer opportunity that comes my way. I don't want to be gone M-F again! I had to practice saying "no" but I learned quick and got over the guilt right away. My life to do as I please. Joan Rivers said, "Life is a movie and you're the star. Give it a happy ending."

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Re financial planners....I would definitely suggest to look for a CFP who is "fee only." This means they charge you a flat rate. They will not try to sell you products so they can earn a commission.....this clearly taints the advice they are giving you.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

No. My job has never, nor will it ever, define me. I have been lucky to have a flexible job that allowed me time (when needed) with family, etc. and I am extremely thankful for that. I've always been able to work a flex schedule and now work part-time. I have my time in and have been thinking about retirement the last year or two, but haven't taken that step yet. I'm already involved with community work, family and friends, and hubby and I both have many interests that should keep us happy through the retirement years.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This is so timely. I started my current business eight years ago and I loved it from conception to reality. It was so gratifying to take an idea and see it come to life. I loved the challenge of getting all systems in place and getting everything functioning.

I found starting the company and getting it up and running but now I have to deal with the day to day functions and I HATE it! I am totally bored to tears. I have been contemplating selling my business for about fifteen months but recently decided I am finished when my lease runs out at the end of June. I have an interested party and we have a meeting tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed.

I have two major concerns though. I am worried that DH will drive me bonkers. He has been retired for eight years and is happy having his garages and the house to himself during the day. When I am home in the evening he is constantly asking for my help with his computer or anything in the least techy. I think his frequent need for help will increase.

My other concern is that I will become a slouch. I have had so much stress taking care of my business full time, our real estate holdings part time. When I can finally live without an alarm clock and the daily stress, I worry that I will lose all ambition and become a hermit.

I know I'm ready to retire because each day it is increasingly more difficult to get up and start the rat race each day. I am so looking forward to no alarm clock, being able to enjoy our home, watch the birds, cook healthier meals because I will finally have the time to put into it, and be able to be more involved with my grandchildren.

ladypat1 thanked Holly- Kay
  • jlc712
    9 years ago

We have been meeting with a financial planner, or as they call it, "Wealth Management" LOL, for the past year. I have also been contributing to my 401k/Roth for a long time. It just boils down to the fact that I will have too many years ahead of me at the age I retire (53), to have enough money put away to last that length of time (20,30,40 years?). I am kind of resigned to the fact I will have to continue working, even though I can technically "retire" from my current job.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I do have a financial planner. I have never really not had one because when my parents started saving for my college fund they had one--so I was maybe 3 or 4?--But I seriously had one by the time I turned 19 and started working. One of the things I miss about the 1980s is the interest rate. Bad if you needed to spend money, great if you were trying to make money. Between the interest rate and my college job, I had as much money in my college fund at the end of one year as I had in the beginning. But we are pretty conservative, I guess. I think my dad planned on a conservative return but even that's not being met, quite.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Pal, I know exactly what you mean about interest rates. About twelve years ago I made more interest in a year than I currently do in salary. That just makes me nuts! I especially feel sorry for my in laws as they depended on a decent rate of return on cds and when rates nose dived their standard of living took a hit.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

We have an appointment with a financial planner in a week or so, and I'm eagerly anticipating that she will officially tell us what we kinda sorta know, which is that we're both fine to stop working any darn time we want. I don't think I'm jumping ship immediately but there is something very freeing in knowing that I really truly don't have to put up with nonsense if I don't want to. Of course I still have to figure out what I'll be doing when all I have to put up with is my OWN nonsense!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

My siblings who have retired seem to have plenty to do as well. My BIL even got called back to work temporarily for holiday help.

Another person in education here. Days are just too long and little downtime. Look forward to the day when I don't have this grind anymore.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Lest we forget, it's the daily grind that helped us make our retirement comfortable.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I retired at 52...exhausted. Will admit that at first when someone asked me what I do, it felt strange not to have a title. Obviously my work was defining me. Free as a bird there has never been a time remembered which wasn't filled with so many things I wanted to give full time to. My husband had his own obsessions keeping him happy and busy too.

I remember many retired who asked how we found so much to do. Usually they had little to keep them involved, one lady said all she knew was cooking and knitting, his was golf. They were bored and driving each other nuts. A realization when one does retire there should be an interest outside of work that you can envelope yourself in. Money is always an issue, but planning ahead to fill your days with so many other things of interest is just as important.

• Bonnie
    9 years ago

I plan on teaching another 2-3 years, while DH does part-time (sometimes full-time) consulting mostly from home. We work with a "wealth management planner" and always planned on retiring when DH was 60. That time came, we decided we "want" to keep working. I think the key is that it is now a choice, not a requirement. We have met (or exceeded our goals) and tend to be fiscally conservative.

We are in our early 60's and are healthy and active, with hobbies and interests outside of work. I have never defined myself by my profession, and had the luxury of working part-time while raising our family. We planned for college, planned on paying off the mortgage, pay cash for cars......yes, we are planners! We live within our means and always have.

What scares me, is that like Pal, we both have longevity genes and could live a long time. That was the case with my late father, who spent the last seven years of his life in a wonderful assisted living facility. He had the money, it met his needs and it was the best place for him. That came at a price (about 80K year at the end). He had the money and could afford that lifestyle.

How does one plan for THAT? We did not buy long-term care insurance and are now to "old" for it to be affordable. We do not want to be a burden to our children-ever!

If we have grandchildren at some point we would like to help with college tuition and "gift away" our assets as allowed by the IRS.

In the meantime, we are in a sweet spot and are enjoying life in general. We feel very blessed!

ladypat1 thanked Bonnie
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I am not a worrier although I do plan (save) ahead for things. My mother died fairly early, 64, of a rare-ish disease after years of longing and planning for retirement. It has changed my perspective quite a bit so I plan but still enjoy now as much as possible. ( I was adopted as an infant, btw, so nothing hereditary)

I do not believe in spending a life doing something you hate.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

There was a recent article about how statistically people who retire early also have a much shorter lifespan. I don't recall all the details (tor eg., was it taken into account if they retired for health reasons?) Thought it was interesting.

Ladypat, I can totally relate. I'm sure everyone here knows I'm a teacher. I wear it like a badge. Teaching has made me a different person and I'm so proud of it. However, I've only been teaching for about 10 years. Before that I had what many consider to be an exciting and unusual career. I found it very hard to give it up, just for that fact even though it didn't pay well, there was no job security and I didn't actually like it much. It was hard to go from being known as the only ______ in the group, to a run of the mill teacher. I imagine, I'll start retirement with the same trepidation about giving up an identity.

Do you think you'll volunteer or substitute teach? When I taught Kindergarten, there was a retired reading clinician who came in and worked with the kids. She was invaluable and taught us all a lot while continuing to make a difference with kids. She only came in once a week and still travelled, so it wasn't like she gave up much, but I think it probably helped her to keep her professional identity and continue to get that good feedback while avoiding the negative ( can you say report cards?).

ladypat1 thanked daisychain01
  • ladypat1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daisy- I am so glad you said it" TEACHING HAS MADE ME A DIFFERENT PERSON". It is really true, I get more than I give to those kids, and I love them. I probably will substitute teach for a while, because for 3 years I will know most of the students, since I have had most of them as freshmen. I think that will really help me make the transition.

• 2pups4me
    9 years ago

This is my first year as a retired teacher and I had no problem adjusting to the new chapter in my life. I purposely did not commit to volunteering, etc. at the suggestion of other retirees. I'm taking this year to get a feel for how I might like to spend the coming years. My folks have had some health issues and I've been going back and forth across town for the past month. I'm so thankful that I am available to take care of them when they need help. I may substitute somewhere down the road as well. When someone asks me what I do I proudly reply that I'm a retired (PE) teacher!

ladypat1 thanked 2pups4me
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH