SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Patterned Daylilies from 2019

shive
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Post your favorite daylilies with patterns. There will be a separate category for applique patterns.

Here are my top favorites in this category:

Stenciled Infusion

Bowtie Affair

My seedling (Palace Garden Beauty x Karelia) x This Longing

Core Values

Kiss of Paradise

Soul Catcher

Debra

Comments (46)

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Because of the cooler weather and plentiful rain in June, Entwined in the Vine had its most intricate pattern ever in my garden.

Razor Eyes

Wheel of Time was extra colorful last year because of the cool temps.

No Mans Land showed off during the cooler temepratures too.

Well, that's my 10. There were other patterns that were hard to leave out, including Victorian Garden Heaven's Applause, Sycamore Frills, Mystical Intuition, Rings of Triton and Inviting Romance.

Debra

• Related Discussions

Favorite Purples of the 2019 Season

Q

Comments (148)
    Karen, here is another photo of Swallow Tail Kite to give you another view. It does indeed have an eye with a lot of 'blue' in it when I look at it in the garden but I can't comment on what it looks like elsewhere. I haven't seen it in anyone else's garden in person. But, you can't go wrong with it as a plant. It's tall, well-budded, hardy, and sets pods. I happen to count it among my top 10 daylilies for vigor and bloom production. What's not to love?
    ...See More

Favorite Daylilies That Defy Color Categories for 2019

Q

Comments (43)
    Hi Celeste, honestly , I like it and I am not just saying that because I feel I have to now that I have said I like the weird ones. I like it for several reasons . One, because it has such subtle coloring . Now saying that , I also like daylilies that are very intense coloring but a yard full of intense colors needs something from which to bounce off . Two the contrasting midrib, I grow several that have odd colorings . Padmasana , Momentum , Pigment of Imagination , Olive's Odd One ,Spicecake etc. . Many would say these are " butt ugly" but I don't see that . I like the difference in these .. What I find " butt ugly " ( well not really butt ugly but boring ) are the round eyed daylilies ad infinitum . So when I see something like what you posted above that has so much going on in the bloom I would rather have that than a round pink daylily with some kind of eye . The shape of the daylily in your imageadds to the appeal . I also think that sometimes these kinds of daylilies are overlooked because we all fall victim to " the latest and greatest " as hyped by hybridizers . These oddballs have subtilties that an in your face daylily just can't provide. Above Padmasan below Spicecake
    ...See More

Favorite Eyed and Edged Daylilies of 2019

Q

Comments (35)
    Wow there really are some beauties here . My eye is drawn to Sam Abell, Wickedly Wild and Wonderful , Snidely Whiplash , Red Eyed Fantasy , Soft Hearted Mother , Storm Shelter, Easter Egg Hunt , Incendiary , OMG Celebrate the Day (to die for) , Frank's Star of Bethlehem , and Brad's seedling , Thomas Tew , Purple Sombrero , Sunday Fever and Blue Jay Tapestry , Precious Candy, Moutain Wildflower and True Calling and Karen's seedling Boomerang Effect x Petes Electric Blue Beauty . That's quite the list and all have gone on my want list except for Brad and Karen's seedlings which is only because they aren't commercially available . I am gonna have to buy more land !
    ...See More

Favorite Edge No Eye Daylilies 2019

Q

Comments (43)
    Yes Regency Heights is a real looker , if you have a chance to add it I highly recommend it I have had Regency Heights for a number of years . Then two years ago I dug it up mid summer to trade a piece and replanted . I am guessing the drought stressed it to the point that when winter came with no snow cover it succumbed due to my stupidity .. Replaced it last year as I had done back flips trying to track this one down originally. It is quite hardy but conditions here have been dreadful the last few years so I don;t dig mid summer anymore.
    ...See More
  • KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

The One Ring

Pinwheel Princess

Space World

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Rippling Ripples

Amethyst Prism

Affirmative

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Karen - I love the look of Pharoahs Arrows! Does it always show a pattern?

Debra

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Thanks Debra! PA is a very good plant blooming for me the whole month of July. It will consistently show patterns in earlier blooms 90% of the time. The later blooms are less consistent.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Karen: I had to smile as I was going to post Pinwheel Princess as my favorite pattern too. However mine is dead, dead, dead. The first year it was great in an 8" pot and bloomed well. The 2nd year it lost vigor and went into a 6" pot without blooming, the 3rd year it was down sized to a 4" pot and this year it finally put me and itself out of misery and died all the way back. In my small collection, to have given it space despite only 1 years bloom, shows you how much I liked it. It looked just like your picture. I hope yours prospers for you...............Debra: You know how I like Stenciled Infusion, but Wheel of Time is so pretty in your picture. If the colors fade, not so much, but there it looks grand..................Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Debra, I like all your patterned ones, but especially Bowtie Affair and your seedling. I have heard so many good things about Entwined in the Vine that I am going to have to try it (even though we are supposed to be downsizing).

Karen, you have some lovely patterned ones too, but I especially like The One Ring and Venetian Pools.

We don't have many patterned ones. We grow Get Jiggy and Four Beasts in One, but I didn't get pictures of them this season. Here are the ones I photographed.

We have grown Tremor for several seasons and this is the best pattern we have seen from it.

Time in a Bottle came to us as a mistake. It was supposed to be Jacki Kropf. It consistently shows a pattern in our garden.

Mysterious Eyes is aptly named as it seems to have more than one face. This is what it looked like this past season.

Etched Eyes has a rather subtle pattern.

More to come . . .

4 years ago

Entering Warp Speed has interesting lines in the eye.

Geometric Wizard looked a little more orange, rather than yellow, this past season, probably because it is an early bloomer and our temperatures were so cool then. This is one of my favorite daylilies.

Curious Cutie is very similar to Geometric Wizard except that everything is rounder. I bet they are related (both from Elizabeth Salter), but since the Salters don't publish parentages, we will never know.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Nice blooms everyone. Wheel of Time and your Seedling, Debra, are my favorites.

I don't have any--they are pricey and I find many of them odd--so I will just enjoy looking at everyone else's.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Thanks Maryl and Nancy.

Maryl, I am so sorry to hear your PP declined and died this past year. It was your pic of Pinwheel Princess that enabled me to get it! When you first posted it, I almost jumped out of my seat upon seeing it. It blew me away with its beautiful perfectly circular blue pattern eye and bitone petals. I finally was able to add it last year. But you are right about its slow increase. I still have only a double fan this year.

Nancy, the One Ring is a new plant but so far it has done well, The fans though are very small. My favorites of yours are Geometric Wizard and Mysterious Eyes.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

I’m drooling today, such gorgeous blooms!

Debra, Stenciled Infusion is still my favorite along with your seedling, such a great edge too!

Karen, I adore Space World and The One Ring, love the patterned sepals.

Nan, Geometric Wizard is my favorite of yours, I like the yellow with the contrast of purple!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

I only have a few in this category. Blue Beetle is fairly new here.

Pastelline has been in my garden a long time, had been a so-so performer. I moved last fall and it improved greatly.
    Mysterious Eyes has been here a few seasons. The colors intensify in cooler temps.
    Took a good look at Stone Palace Divine today and noticed a pattern on the photos. How did I miss the pattern when it was blooming?
    Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Just noticed Get R Done has a subtle pattern, first few blooms this season.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

So many unique and pretty ones here. Stenciled Infusion, Kiss of Paradise, Debra’s seedling, Space World, Blue Beetle, Geometric Wizard....

Is this a pattern? It always looks different with each bloom

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Pick Up Lines

Art Gallery Blues

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Blue Breasted Bee Eater

Get Jiggy—had this plant for years and this is most distinctive pattern it has ever shown

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Another Lambertson “bird” lilies

New Paradigm-cheating on this one as it is most definitely not a favorite

And, of course, EITV

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

I am seriously lacking in this department . I don't have many of the intricately patterned eyed daylilies. I love them but haven't added many here YET ! I just added Entwined in the Vine this past season and saw only one very pathetic bloom. Hoping for spectacular this coming spring . Anyway , please bear with me .I am not sure if any of these would be considered a fancy patterned eye.

. I had posted Get Jiggy , and another one but then Idiot me refreshed the page before posting it permanently . Now I am searching for those other images. DUH!

Just a couple more. I

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Now this one I am sure matches the post requirements.

This image below was a plant sold to me fall of 2018 as Picasso's Intrigue . I labelled it as such but looking at images online of Picasso's Intrigue I am not sure this plant is the right one . If it is I hope to see much different patterning this coming season.

I can't find my image of Chaotic Design at the moment but will post when I find it .

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Heather, I don't know if Gavin Petit fits the category either, but I love it!

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sherry - I love Blue Beetle and Stone Palace Divine!

Heather - I don't think that's Picasso's Intrigue either. The petals are too dark. It's missing the dark edge, and mine has never shown a pattern.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

That's what I thought too Debra, I appreciate you confirming that for me as all I have had to go by are online images. I was under the impression that PI was a purple/ mauve color with a purple and white double edge ......Where is the white edge on that image of mine? It must have been washed off in the rain ! I wrote to the seller asking them to id it for me .....got no response. So disappointing when that happens. The only saving grace on this plant is that it does have some patterning even though it did not show it well this past season being its first season in my gardens.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Sherry, thanks! Blue Beetle is my favorite too! Get R Done looks very big! I hope you post it again next year and hear your assessment of it.

Kate, and Heather, you both have the nicest Get Jiggy blooms! Mine RARELY gives me any patterns. Heather, you have the best pattern on GJ that I have ever seen.

Others I like are Art Gallery Blues and Gavin Petit. Is the feathering effect of the eye pattern consistent on Gavin Petit, Heather?

Thanks all for liking my Space World. Unfortunately, it is not a favorite of mine nor do I recommend it. Though the blooms are nice when they first open and stay good through the morning, they start to deteriorate from noon on especially when the weather is hot. They are neither sunfast nor coloredfast. By 2, they are an ugly colored mess.

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maryl - Wheel of Time rarely has such deep orange petal color. Usually it is very light in normal 90-degree summer temps. I'm sure it does fade in the high 90s, although I've never paid attention to it in those conditions. In the high temps, I only notice the few that don't fade.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Debra........oooh I like Stencilled Infusion !

Karen , Your Pinwheel Princess is so so pretty.

Yes, I was surprised by Get Jiggy this summer . This is only its second summer here and I got no patterning the first season so I was of the mind that I did not know what all the hubbub was about this daylily. Then this summer it bloomed and there was the pattern . I was thrilled . Kate's Get Jiggy is a much more purple bloom ( i am guessing purples and pinks are affected by mineral content of the soil much like hydrangeas, for there to be that much difference in the color between hers and mine .I much prefer Kate's plants coloring to mine .

Sherry really love your Stone Palace Divine It really is divine !

Kate I also love Blue Breasted Bee Eater and Art Gallery Blues . .......wow they are wonderful . Both going on my want list.

Brad , in regards to Gavin Petit . Yes it is consistent with the feathering . It really is a lovely bloom Holds up well in the heat and humidity here . Does have days when color is different from this image. ( heat related ?)

Hoosier_Nan, love your plant /image of Geometric Wizard ......going on my list .

There is one I would love to add to my gardens if it really looks like this image from AHS and if ever given the opportunity ( mind you I have only seen pictures of it) and it is Petit's "In His Image "

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Karen, I have had Get Jiggy for several years and rarely does it show a pattern for me. Usually it is just a “pretty“ flower. it is that purple color that is showing. Heather does have a nice pattern on hers.

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Oh, Heather, I forgot to mention that those two you like are Lambertsons that many northern growers indicate do not perform well for them. As always, do your research before purchasing!! So far, these have performed well for me. But if I get a hard winter or a freeze/thaw cycle of weather, who knows?!!

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

WOW....so many beauties here! They are too numerous to mention favorites by name so I declare them ALL favorites! I should start having some patterned seedlings next year if they behave properly.

CHANGING LATITUDES

CELESTIAL BEAUTY (btw, this girl is a pod hussy!)

SCREEN PATTERN

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

A FEW MORE.....

DESTINED TO SEE

BIRD TALK

HANDWRITING ON THE WALL

ARNOLD'S DAUGHTER

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

MORE.....

TRAHLYTA

NAVAJO PONY, above

CAT DANCER, below

DR. JULES MICHAEL VINKMAN

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Just beautiful, Celeste! The blues on your daylilies are amazing! I particularly like Destined to See and NAVAJO PONY and CAT DANCER,

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

THANKS, Karen!:)

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I like patterns and I don't think I see one I would not like to have! But I think you have heard that from me in every one of these threads. Here are mine

Butterfly Moon

Arnold's Daughter may not be an actual pattern

Cindy's Tie Dye

Complex Complexities was new this spring

Navajo Pony

Cosmic Odyssey

Venetian Pools, I know I took better pictures. This was the 2nd year I have had it, and it had some amazing patterns, but all I have is this photo now

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Celeste, Cat Dancer and Navajo Pony are very pretty.

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Celeste and Nancy, love your Navajo Pony!

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Nancy6b wondering , how does Navajo Pony do for you . I am zone 6a/b and just added it this past season so close to your zone and I was wondering if I need to take any extreme measures to ensure its survival . It was not a particularly large plant when I got it Seller gave it to me as I ordered it but she said it wasn't doing well in her zone which is 5b and offered it to me as a gift .It didn't seem to do much foliage wise this summer and of course I didn't see any blooms . .

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy6b - I just love the pattern on Cindy's Tie Dye. I hope mine will bloom next year. Butterfly Moon always looks great to me!

Celeste and Nancy - Navajo Pony looks terrific in both your gardens.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

signet, I know you were addressing Nancy6b about Navajo Pony, but I wanted to let you know of my experience in zone 4b. BTW, mine came from Nancy! It wasn't very big going into last winter since it was so new. I didn't do anything special, no mulching or protecting and it came through fine. Just my experience.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Celeste , thank you for taking the time to let me know that info about Navajo Pony. It is comforting to know that yours survived and without any heroic measures too and in a lower zone . Perhaps it is one of those plants that just takes it time to get established and then once established ......boom !

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Signet, Navajo Pony does great here too. I think this was its 3rd year here, I have already shared it twice, and have 4 fans this fall so it multiplies rather well. It has produced a modest number of buds, but that is probably due to being divided up so much. i am looking forward to seeing it in a year where it does not get divided or moved. I think it is a dormant so really should do fine for you. Mine took off nicely and has done well from the start. I got it from Laura, and were nice fans. Yours may just be playing catch up this year. I do have it planted cLoser to the house where it may be a bit more protected. I keep all my favorites planted where I can see them easily several times a day when in bloom.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Found it ! It took a while but I found my image of Chaotic Design. Here it is :

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Heather - Chaotic Design has a pretty pattern, and I like the petal color!

Debra

4 years ago

I missed one I should have posted. Dreamy Drawing has been a bit of surprise in our garden. It is a Lambertson that has done really well for us. We love Lambertson's daylilies, but they often do not like our conditions.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I like Dreamy Drawing. as you say, most Lambertsons have not done well for me, so good to know the ones that do well.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Nancy6b: You have some nice patterned ones. I like Cosmic Oddity especially.......Celeste: Cat Dancer really got my attention. An oldie but still one that makes you sit up and take notice.............Maryl