SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Meatloaf, Do You Have A Special One?

Do you have a special way of fixing your meatloaf? A special ingredient? Most don't cover their meatloaf while most of it bakes, but we do. It is baked like a roast with potatoes, carrots and onions around it and the juices are made into a gravy. Some even use the broth from it to make a dressing. I like using oatmeal in mine? I have a two pound one baking now, half is ground turkey. It is covered for now but later it will be uncovered. It does have carrots, potatoes and onions around it. How about your special way of making it?

Sue

Comments (43)

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I use the recipe off the Lipton soup packet. With the ground beef I add a little ground sausage. And beside the ketchup the recipes calls for I'll add bbq sauce and worchestire (sp?) sauce. Beyond that, nothing special.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked always1stepbehind
  • User
    4 years ago

Diced onions & bell peppers, Progresso bread crumbs, an egg, spices and top with ketchup. Use the highest fat content ground beef to the best flavor.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Dry creeks: Do you have one? Have you planted in and around one?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank-you people! We now have a fairly long dry creek which needs to handle a high volume of water. It has two levels - water comes in from the top and is "visual" and then directly under this is a hidden french drain - they all drain into a dry pond which will be filled with moisture loving native plants to clean the ground water - then it all goes back into a pipe and down the way. There are also funky tributaries to our dry creek to handle all the water coming down the bank, a few more areas need to be incorporated. It was made by the contractors and we just used rip rap but I will also add in my concrete "chunks" and the few nice found rocks the contractors dug up while grading. Eduarda, thanks for that article! It's perfect. Essentially I want mine to look like a cross between Cameron's beautiful dry creek and the Fine Gardening dry creek. Cameron, I will need to get some ideas from you about the native grasses you planted in here. Luckily I will have the ability, if necessary to "reverse" the flow of water from stored water back into the dry creek to keep everything moist. A pump and an underground water line that runs back up to the "front" of the stream will do the trick. So far our "project" is shaping up very well. A few more things need to happen before the patios go in - more retaining walls and drainage. I've got a LOT of planting to do these next few years. I have a feeling winter sowing will be my best friend!
    ...See More

Sigh- OT- Just HOW do you cook a meatloaf

Q

Comments (43)
    Read through and didn't see my recipe anywhere in here so I'll add it to your list for consideration. FWIW, my DH refused to eat meatloaf based on horrific childhood experiences but after trying mine 20 years ago he's CURED LOL and asks for it weekly. 1.25 lbs ground beef (I usually aim for 90% lean) 1 cup dry pepperidge farm herbed stuffing (blue & white bag) 1 can Campbells condensed tomato soup 1-2 tsp Worcestershire to taste 1 egg dash of milk (maybe 1 T at the most) 4 slices bacon I beat the egg in the bowl first, then add Worcestershire and undiluted soup and mix together. Then add stuffing mix to moisten and add beef to all for thorough mixing to distribute the egg mixture throughout. Add dash of milk and mix in. Turn into a loaf pan - I use a pyrex glass one because it seems to form a nicer looking finished loaf - and pat down gently using a fork to remove air pockets. Top with 4 slices of bacon and pop into the oven for 50 min at 400. After 50 min, take out and drain grease. Put it back in for 10 minutes to finish. Here's what I learned the hard way - you have to let it sit in the warm loaf pan for at least 10 min after removing from the oven to allow the meat to reabsorb the juices and set which helps decrease crumbling. After 10 minutes rest, invert loaf pan onto dish, cut and serve. I find that it works well to pop baking potatoes alongside in the oven to cook the entire time as a side! Bon Appetit! Jen
    ...See More

What variety of Jade do I have? Any special care you can think of?

Q

Comments (7)
    Crenda- lol I love this Jade! I don't have an armed gaurd for it, but I know the feeling! I have 4 kids and my eyes bug out of my head when they start running around by it! Lol I don't want to get rid of it. I buy succulents for someone who knows I have it, and she approached me about selling it, or trading some other plants for it. It got me thinking that I should find out what its worth and what kind of Jade it is. I actually bought it from someone on Craigslist 2 years ago who couldn't take into a retirement home! She told me it belonged to her mother, and that it was about 60 years old, moved here from the California coast. I got it and another smaller Jade for $65! I didn't know anything about Jades at the time, but I was in LOVE with it!
    ...See More

Do you have a special piece of tableware?

Q

Comments (7)
    A cake serving plate which I use also as a trivet. With last year's tomato crop. A gift from a close family friend to my late Mother, now passed on to me. Bpath, my Mom had a casserole dish JUST like that when I was growing up, although I think ours was olive green although maybe not. Can't forget that top!. I don't know what happened to it. I suspect it got chipped and ended up sold in a garage sale. I would love to have it now. I make a lot more casseroles than my Mom did. Dad hates most casseroles but my husband is not that picky. I remember Mom making scalloped potatoes in it.
    ...See More
  • Uptown Gal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I use oatmeal instead of the cracker crumbs too. Ground Beef (made from chuck, if I can find it), eggs, milk, onion & the oatmeal, salt/pepper). Pretty mild, but no peppers, etc., so kids will eat it too. ;) Catsup on top (thinly) while baking. Nothing else in the pan. Love it with Escalloped potatoes or baked potatoes.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Uptown Gal
  • User
    4 years ago

Mine is a combo of my Mom's and DH's Mom. His Mom was German - hence the dill pickle.

1 1/2 lb. ground chuck, diced onion, 1 large dill pickle - preferably garlic - diced, one egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, salt, pepper, 1 tsp. marjoram, 1 cup oatmeal. Mix all up and make a loaf. Cover with BBQ sauce or ketchup. Bake at 350 for one hour.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Mine is very different not your typical meat loaf. I stuff it with onion and diced Roma tomatoes. It has a white sauce similar to Alfredo. It is awesome.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I found this on a search here!

I make a very different kind of meatloaf but it is extremely good and even those that warned me they hate meatloaf loved it. It ain't your typical little loaf pan covered in ketchup! I created this because I was one that really disliked the normal meatloaf.

Saucy stuffed meatloaf:
    3Lbs lean ground beef(can use less meat)
    1/2cup raw oatmeal
    2Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2Tbs Cajun seasoning (I prefer Tony Chachere)
    2Tbs mustard(yellow)
    4-5 chopped Roma tomatoes(fresh not canned)
    1lg chopped onion(purple if possible)
    1jar RAGU Roasted garlic Parmesan sauce**
    In mixing bowl add meat,oatmeal,worst sauce,seasoning,mustard. Mix well with hands.
    In a large rectangular baking dish spray pam (NOT a loaf pan). Add the meat and form into loaf shape, then make a well down the length in the center of the loaf. In the well add some of the chopped tomatoes and onion. Squeeze the meat closed over the top of the well. Pour remaining tomato and onions around the loaf. Pour the RAGU sauce over it all. You can add a little milk to the jar to"rinse" it and get all out (not much don't want to water it down). Bake at 350 for an hour- check for doneness(clear juices). Let cool for 5 min or so then skim off excess oil or soak it up with bread and discard bread.
    *Optional ingredient chopped mushrooms.
    *Optional sprinkle top with grated cheese
    **If you can not find that specific RAGU sauce one of the other white RAGU sauces can be used like the Alfredo, and add garlic.

https://www.ragu.com/our-sauces/cheese-sauces/roasted-garlic-parmesan-sauce/

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Grd. beef, onion, a heaping spoonful of applesauce, maybe a handful of oatmeal. Catsup and mustard and honey mixed together to create a topping to spread over it before baking.

I never thought of baking with veggies. Interesting.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • caflowerluver
    4 years ago

I use half ground beef and half ground pork. I think it adds more juice and flavor, IMHO. I also use fresh bread crumbs and sauted onion, celery, garlic mix. Only other flavoring is ketchup, both added and on top.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked caflowerluver
  • User
    4 years ago

Raven - everything is better with Tony Cachere on it!!! That's included on my list of seasonings for almost all entrees.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Ground beef and pork sausage (or Italian sausage) at about 3 to 1. Fresh breadcrumbs, minced onion, minced garlic, fresh parsley, egg, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chutney (any flavor), S&P. No Ketchup! Anywhere!

Baked on a rack in my cast iron skillet. Not wallowing in a pool of grease in a loaf pan.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Teriyaki meatloaf is my fav but if I have left over ham about Italian stuffed is superb. I always use oatmeal no matter what breading is called for.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • Sooz
    4 years ago

This is a link to our favorite meatloaf recipe, although I do change it up now and then. The Ritz crackers and the shredded Cheddar work well together, and I'll often add mixed veggies and a dash of roasted garlic powder.

Meatloaf

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Sooz
  • Chi
    4 years ago

I'm going to try to make a meatloaf with Beyond Meat. I hope it turns out well!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Chi
  • Lars
    4 years ago

I only make turkey meatloaf, as my brother Kevin does not eat beef or pork, but I am okay with that. When I used to make beef meatloaf, I did add oatmeal to it, but I only stock steel cut oats these days, and I don't think those would work, and so I use bread crumbs instead, generally from whole wheat bread. I've also used kasha instead of oatmeal. The main flavoring in mine is mushrooms, and I use a combination of dried and fresh mushrooms. I first reconstitute the dried mushrooms and save the soaking liquid, which I use to make a panade with the bread crumbs, and add one or two beaten eggs. Instead of salt, I cheat and add a small amount of mushroom and/or chicken bouillon. I've found that I actually like Knorr brand dried chicken bouillon for this, but BTB mushroom stock is also good, or I use mushroom concentrate that I buy at a restaurant supply shop.

I also add mince onion, 1/4 tsp baking soda (this makes it more tender), and a small amount of my Smoked Chocolate Habanero Sauce (I need to make more of that this week). Sometimes I add chopped red bell pepper or other peppers to it, plus a fair amount of oregano and thyme. I bake it covered in a Corningware pan that I've had for decades. I do not put any tomatoes or tomato sauce on the meatloaf, as this might detract from the mushroom flavor, but I often cut the leftover meatloaf into cubes and add it to pasta sauce, to make a sort of sauce with meatballs, and serve that with pasta.

My friends in East Texas and Louisiana used to make meatloaf that would contain whatever vegetables or leftover vegetables they had, including potatoes, and I always liked that as well. I never knew anyone who used ketchup, however. I think that would be too sweet, unless it had vinegar added to it. I have made a mushroom velouté sauce of my meatloaf at times.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

marilyn_sue - I don't care for meatloaf but I like the idea of "roasting" it with carrots, potatoes and onions around it. I am going to try that next time. Thanks.

Do you have a specific recipe that you like to use?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Abbie's Meatloaf

This meatloaf recipe I got from my young neighbor. She fixed me a plate of food and brought over to me last summer and I enjoyed it so much I asked for the recipe.

3 pounds of ground chuck

3/4 cup milk, I use evaporated

1/2 cup diced onions or a medium diced onion

1 1/2 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of rolled oats

3 eggs

3/4 cup ketchup

Topping

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon mustard

1/2 cup of ketchup

If you want to add other vegetables such as sweet pepper or celery or whatever you like feel free to add to it. If you don't like a sweet topping don't use it. If you don't like ketchup, just use milk or barbecue sauce or whatever you like.

You don't have to bake it covered, but most of the time I do. I do have a meatloaf pan with the lift out rack but much prefer it in my little roasting pan with lid. Add what ever vegetables you like around your meatloaf and bake till done.

If you use the topping, put it on about a half hour before you plan to take your meatloaf out. Bake it uncovered then. 350 is a good temperature to bake it at.

Sue

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

ground chuck, eggs, crushed saltine crackers, ketchup, mustard, lots of onion and S+P. Ketchup on top, baked uncovered. Good ole "dutch" meatloaf!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

Marilyn_sue - Thank-you. Looks like a very simple tasting recipe which is perfect with the roasted vegetables and I like the idea of some gravy.

@Lars - What another great idea! - to take leftover meatloaf and cut it into cubes and add to a tomato sauce for pasta.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

gardengal, you could use a meatloaf baking pan like my mom had and came into my possession after she passed. It is a loaf pan with holes that sits down inside another loaf pan which collects the grease.

ETA: Last week I didn't feel like cooking, so ordered off a local Italian restaurant's menu for take-out. I chose "Grilled Italian Meatloaf". Never tried it before. Well, let me tell you, it looked and tasted like someone took some meatballs and flattened them into the shape of a big slice of meatloaf, then grilled it. And it was appx. 1/4" thick? won't be ordering that again.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • plllog
    4 years ago

Sue, the idea of pot roasted meatloaf is very intriguing.

I used to use oatmeal, but nowadays I use matzah run through the FP to coarse. Never any ketchup or other topping. At least chopped onion in the mix, and often carrots (minced in the FP) and bell peppers. The rest is pretty ordinary. I like it better from a loaf pan than baking sheet.

My mother's poultry loaf is a favorite, but I don't know if it's objectively that good, or just something we like in the family. It's chicken and/or turkey, poultry sausage (raw), Knorr dried leek soup or equivalent, eggs, oatmeal and V8 or tomato juice (spicy). The important part is that the non-meat gets processed, and then the meat gets processed, then they're all mixed together by hand. It doesn't matter that it's ground poultry and sausage. They must go through the food processor, but not so much so that it gets tough. It doesn't work otherwise (people have tried).

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked plllog
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

The one I make most often is the following from Ina G. She has another one that's also good called 1770 House Meatloaf. For that one, I omit the veal and use beef/pork or just beef. (https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/1770-house-meatloaf)

Ina's Meatloaf

Note: I use less onion...maybe 1 1/2 cups. I also don't use the pan of water in the oven.

1 T. olive oil

3 cups chopped yellow onions (I use about half that)

1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves

2 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

3 T. Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth

1 T. tomato paste

2 1/2 pounds ground chuck

1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup ketchup (for topping - optional)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot.

For individual loaves: Divide the mixture into 6 small loaves. Spread about a tablespoon of ketchup on the top of each. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the internal temperature is 155 to 160 degrees.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

We use half ground beef and half ground venison. My husband makes a better meatloaf than I do. I don't know what else he puts in it. I let him do his thing and my contrabution is eating it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • blubird
    4 years ago

Chi, I’ve used the ground Beyond to make a meatloaf and it's good.

I prepared it the way I prepared real beef meatloaf. Pound and a half meat, handful of matzoh meal or oatmeal, one egg and various spices...garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper.

But our favorite way to prepare meatloaf is to cover the loaf with unrolled crescent rolls 15 minutes before the meatloaf would be done. It makes a delicious crust, absorbing some of the juices, almost like Beef Wellington.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blubird
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    4 years ago

My meatloaf is pretty simple, using just 85% beef, chopped onion, crushed Saltines for crumbs and egg as a binder. To add some zing to it, I put in a tablespoon or two of Stonewall Kitchen's Roasted Garlic Bread Spread. Nothing on top - no ketchup or bacon. Cooked in a loaf pan, or two.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

I tried the ground turkey, but it came out bland and not tasting "meaty"

Now I add 1/2 lb copped mushrooms to 1 lb gr turkey and lots of worcestershire and garlic powder as well as all the usual ingredients.

Turns out much "meatier"

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nancyjane_gardener
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I do like Lars and use ground turkey to which I add an egg, WW bread crumbs, finely choped onions, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, garlic, salt and pepper. I bake it in a loaf pan much like the type described by schoolhouse.

When I want to get fancy, I put the meat mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap, spread into an appeox 9x12 rectangular shape and layer sauteed mushrooms, onions and spinach on top of the rectangle to within an inch of the edges. Using the plastic wrap to help keep it's shape, I then roll it as tightly as I can, pinch the ends closed and bake as usual. The plastic wrap is removed during the rolling process.

After it comes out of the oven, it stands for a few minutes before slicing. With the layer of spinach showing, the slices look like pinwheels.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I've been using the Lipton onion soup mix recipe for many years...I use a small can of tomato sauce instead of the ketchup mixed in the meat mixture. I do put some ketchup on the top though. I serve it with brown gravy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arkansas girl
  • Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

I use the recipe my mother made us when I was little. Ground beef, Contadina bread crumbs, an egg, powdered sage, oregano, thyme, basil and parsley, garlic and fresh onion and a little salt. Mixed together and once it’s shaped into a loaf, I top it with ketchup. A few years ago, I started making it with organic hamburger and the difference between that and regular hamburger is amazing. Lots more flavor and the texture of the meat is so much better too.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lukki Irish
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I prefer organic as well. I use the same recipe for meatloaf and meatballs: ground beef, onion, parsley, nutmeg, paprika, garlic, marjoram, S&P, eggs and crushed stuffing mix. I like to glaze with ketchup too.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    4 years ago

Ingredients, Ground Chuck, diced onion, diced bell pepper or pepper flakes, egg, catsup, oatmeal, mustard, salt and pepper. Topped with a catsup brown sugar mixture.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • ophoenix
    4 years ago

Here is my recipe and my super fussy husband loves it. Makes large loaf so we have leftovers.

No onions! You won't miss them with all the other flavors and little kids will love this recipe.

Meat Loaf

1 1/2 pound hamburger - fat 15% or under

1 1/2 pound Italian sausage - Costco links are good

1 1/2 cups of Panko Breadcrumbs

1 cup or more Buttermilk

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules of 1 bud smashed

1/4 teaspoon sage

3/4 teaspoons yellow mustard

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste (fry a small amount of mixed meat and then taste)

Soak Panko in buttermilk till absorbed.

Mix both meats together - gently - don't mush it all up. Use fork not spoon.

Add eggs to crumbs and buttermilk and mix, will be liquidy but it is ok.

Add garlic, mustard, sage, salt and pepper and mix all lightly.

Pat, gently, into loaf shape on cookie sheet with sides or loaf pan - I use cookie sheet.

Drizzle with a little olive oil over top - 1 tablespoon or so - to brown top.

Bake 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hour or until done - 170 on meat thermometer.

Let sit about 5-10 minutes and then serve. We serve with ketchup and/gravy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ophoenix
  • jane__ny
    4 years ago

My mother always used Cambells Tomato Soup in place of ketchup. I make it that way also. Its milder than ketchup. Don't add water to it, use it straight out of the can. Pour it over.

I always cover with foil for the first 45 minutes and then uncover and finish baking it. I add some flour to the drippings in the pan and everyone loves it.

Everyone is so surprised that it was made with Cambells tomatoe soup!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jane__ny
  • ophoenix
    4 years ago

Jane, good idea to cover it at first - I have a convection oven and that may be why I don't cover it. It cooks a bit differently than standard ovens.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ophoenix
  • nandina
    4 years ago

Here is a recipe found in the BIG SUR COOKBOOK. It is delicious hot or cold in the summer with potato salad. You will note a surprise ingredient, a slice of lemon, finely diced. A very tasty addition! This is a different and outstanding recipe. I urge you to try it!

NICK AND MARGE'S MEATLOAF

Place 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef in a large bowl.

In a saucepan put:

1 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon each of the following: sweet basil, marjoram, parsley, thyme,

powdered ginger, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Add:

1 clove garlic, minced.

1 thin lemon slice, finely diced.

1 Tbls. brandy. (Optional.)

Simmer all until onions and celery are clear. Remove from fire. Add 2-3 cups of finely cubed bread (enough to absorb the liquid but mixture still soft and moist). Add 2 eggs and mix again.

When cool, mix into meat and put in a loaf pan. Top with your favorite meatloaf seasonings. The recipe calls for 3 bacon slices and ketchup spread on top.

Bake, uncovered, about 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees.

(Note: During the growing season substitute any available fresh herbs when possible.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nandina
  • Janie
    4 years ago

Jane NY - my Mom also used tomato soup over her meatloaf! I do that occasionally also.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Janie
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

The idea of having a recipe for meatloaf is completely foreign to me!! But then, other than baking (where ingredients in correct proportions are critical) I never use a recipe for anything. I just include ingredients that make it taste (and cook up) the way I want it to.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Janie
    4 years ago

I pretty much love any meatloaf and don't usually follow a recipe, but sometimes I make Sharon/Canarybird's World's Best Meatloaf - and yes I do think its the "world's best"! Its soooooooooo good. FYI Sharon has passed away but her memory will live on in the cooking forum with many of her recipes. Here is the link to a meatloaf thread from 2013 which includes the recipe. Its might look long at first, but honestly it just gets thrown together quickly and easily and its delish.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2388771/wanted-sharoncbs-meatloaf-recipe#n=23

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Janie
  • User
    4 years ago

Garden - I agree, all my main dishes are just a list of ingredients! I have some old cookbooks that are written that way, no measurements and the cooking instructions say slow, medium or hot oven until done.

• marymd7
    4 years ago

Ground beef (high fat) plus a bit less ground pork or what's sold as "meatball" mixture in my grocery (beef, veal, pork), finely minced onion (in fact, I puree it), salt and pepper, good glob of worchestershire, rubbed dried sage, breadcrumbs, egg, milk. Shaped into a loaf on a sheet pan so that it browns on all sides and the fat runs off. I prefer it simple like this. It's almost more of a pate in flavor. Makes excellent sandwiches.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marymd7
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I don’t care for meatloaf. It just doesn’t hold any appeal visually or taste and texture wise to me. DH will order it in a restaurant if they have it as he likes it. Works out fine and I don’t have to make it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

I used to make meatloaf when I lived at home and was responsible for cooking dinner. Mine was simple. Meat, cooked onions and celery,eggs, breadcrumbs, worcheshire sauce,salt,pepper and cheese. Topped with more cheese. Sometimes ketchup in and on top of it. Sometimes not.

Neither me or SO like meatloaf so I haven't made it in many years.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amylou321
  • cynic
    4 years ago

My late wonderful friend "Dotmom" used to call her potroast style meatloaf with potatoes and carrots "potloaf". I sure miss her. RIP friend.

I make meatloaf in different ways, usually just wing it. But some guidelines:

NEVER put glop on top. I like the crust. Sadly, I usually use the electric roaster and it keeps things too moist to get the good old crust a gas oven gives so I sometimes put it under the broiler to crust it up. And I usually put a seasoning on the outside too when I do. A rib rub on a broiled loaf is great.

This one turned out to be a favorite but you (ok *I*) never can really duplicate it over and over but I like to mix meats. Usually beef and pork/sausage are mandatory and often put bacon or bacon bits in there and pepperoni adds a great flavor.

Onion soup mix is just too salty for me these days so I use minced onion and onion powder and occasionally a touch of low salt bouillon to beef it up a touch if desired. Other seasonings: fresh celery and onion if I'm not using for sandwiches, otherwise I use conventional seasoning replacements. I don't like chunks of celery/onion in a sandwich, but for the meal that's great. Garlic, worchestershire, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, hot sauce and a touch of BBQ sauce often helps. I've started using potatoes instead of breadcrumbs since my sister is celiac. Either shredded or instants, egg. I also add a little beer or water to add moistness. I might put some bacon/ranch/onion dip in or sour cream to also add moisture. If I have some, I put some wild rice in there.

Mashed used to be the standard but lately I like roasted potatoes with it or occasionally brown and wild rice medly, some bbq bacon ranch corn... a feast.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked cynic
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz