Gift for daughter who just became an RN

nekotish

Our daughter, who is 23 is about to begin her first job as an RN. I'd like to get her something useful for Christmas, related to her job. She has a stethoscope and case and I bought her a couple of pair of compression socks last year. Any ideas? All I seem to find when googling is mugs!

SaveComment40Like
Comments (40)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
two25acres

How about a nice pair of Dansko shoes. That's usually what they wear in hospitals.

1 Like Save     Thanked by nekotish
Raye Smith

Propét is another good brand of nursing shoes. A lot of nurses also where henleys under their scrubs to stay warm in cold hospitals.

chocolatesnap

Along the same lines: Powerstep Orthotic Inserts

Save    
sprtphntc7a

its a small thing and not sure you celebrate this holiday, but when my DD became an OT, i got her an OT tree ornament for Christmas & an Apple watch.

we also celebrate a big milestones with a "high-end" dinner or a restaurant that the person really wants to go to! take pics!!

Elmer J Fudd

Everyone is different but I always prefer to ask people what they'd like to have rather than guess or create an awkward situation where an unwanted gift is given. Step 1, I ask. Step 2, If no answer is offered, I give cash and ask them to buy what they want.

sprtphntc7a

good point Elmer and you jogged my memory, she asked for the Apple watch!! i would not buy that without her suggesting it!

agree, ask and then go from there. i would not give $$ simply because you want to commemorate it with something you gave her, in some way shape or form.

also, if she likes jewelry, you could get her a piece of jewlery and have it engraved with the date she passed her boards.

DawnInCal

She'll probably have to wear photo ID at her future nursing jobs; how about a pretty lanyard?

maifleur01

If you live in the same area that has an Apple store ask her to come with you to pick out one for someone. Pay attention to the ones that she liked. Come back and purchase for her then present late. You could just present there but she might select one that is cheaper rather than has all the functions she really wants. I have been looking at them and each one has something slightly different.

Save     Thanked by nekotish
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

How about some scrubs.

lily316

I bought myself an Apple watch a few months ago and love it. I'm sure your daughter will as well. A new series came out so you can get the 4 at a slightly cheaper price than I paid. That's what I have and it has all the bells and whistles the five has except the five stays lit all the time which IMO wears down the battery quicker. I got a rose gold finish and ordered a magnetic band to match online.

nekotish

Thanks everyone. I hinted about shoes, but she has just bought herself 2 pairs of the runners that she prefers. I also hinted at an apple watch, but she didn't seem terribly interested. She doesn't wear any jewelry to speak of either! I have ordered a couple of pair of scrubs that she pointed out. I do ask what is needed but I always like to have a couple of things that are a surprise too - the lanyard is a good idea.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Every healthcare employer is different but many furnish (and launder) scrubs for employees who are to wear them.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Elmer - Not the VA nursing home that my future DIL is working at as a CNA while finishing up her nursing degree. But then this IS the VA...you are probably right that most do furnish scrubs.

Save    
nekotish

Nurses in our healthcare region purchase and launder their own scrubs.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I didn't assume it to be the same everywhere but interesting to learn of the variations.

Often employer-furnished scrubs have a monogram with the name of the business or the name of the facility. In hospitals that do this, sometimes different job types wear different colors. Also interesting because in hospitals or in even dental offices, scrubs can be soiled with blood and other biohazard type stuff that needs to be handled properly.

Save    
Raye Smith

Nekotish - that's how all the hospitals I worked in were. Each department was assigned a pair of colors for their scrubs and the employees purchased their own. Of course none of the hospitals used the same colors for my department so I had to get a new set when I changed jobs.

nekotish

If anyone is a deft hand with blood and biomedical waste, it's nurses!

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

How about some pretty stud earrings, topaz or pearl or her birthstone.

Kathsgrdn

Long sleeved undershirts are great, thin t-shirt ones that you can get anywhere, Target, even scrub shops, although they are more expensive. Most hospitals are freezing cold.

If you really want to go way out, a very nice stethoscope would be great. She may have one but if she is like many new nurses can't afford a really good one. I had fairly decent one, I thought, until I listened through one of the respiratory therapy guy's scope one day, who had one designed for people who have some hearing loss. The difference was amazing.

Another thing nurses appreciate is a trip to the a massage therapist. She's going to have aches and pains and will be taking care of everyone else. A massage is a wonderful thing for a nurse, provided she likes them, that is. A pedicure? A meal out. A home cooked meal. A movie and dinner. Anything to get her mind off the hospital.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by nekotish
Chi

I don't think nurses are allowed to wear Apple watches. I complimented a nurse's watch recently and she told me she couldn't wear the smart watches for HIPPA reasons. Maybe it varies by area/practice.

Then again, earlier this week I had a nurse take out her cell phone to measure my pulse, so who knows.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

If she doesn't have a good smart phone or a plan with lots of data, one can be useful for clinical reference. Or, how about a subscription or two to nursing journals- AJN, Nursing 2019, in general, and there are many specialty related ones..

A massage gift certificate is an excellent idea too. Not only for the aches & pains but also the stress of a new job and career. Give her some really good hand cream also, with a small container to keep in her pocket at work - not highly scented. I favor shea butter myself.

Will she buy meals or carry from home? I loved my roomy insulated lunch bag, had room for a can of soup & soup mug, drink bottle, tea bags, as well as fruit, veggies, and something for breakfast.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

My sister's a nurse. She asked for a white uniform. She wanted me to sew her one...I did. She asked for a watch that has a second hand, to take pulses with. She says everyone takes her ink pens. She wanted ones engraved with her name and title on them. I purchased a dozen.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by nekotish
Kathsgrdn

You're right, Nicole, pens!!

jemdandy

1. A watch with a sweep second hand. This is indispensable for measuring pulse rate, however, these days, nurses may be equipped with electronic gadgets that do this chore. In the olden days, nurses counted pulses for 15 seconds and multiplied by 4 to to get the pulse rate for 1 minute.

Ask around (medical staff). Maybe there is something else along this line that she could use.

2. Frame her certificate suitable for displaying in an office.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nekotish
Judy Good

When I graduated from nursing school moons ago, you certainly needed different things. White watch with second hand, bandage scissors, Lots of black pens, Hat carrying case and Bobbie pins, white hose, A good stethoscope, White cardigan sweaters, White shoe polish and lots of "Biz whitening laundry powder" .... Oh those were the days, it is so different now. Now days, I would say a nice scrub jacket with her first name only and "RN" embroidered on it. Make sure it is a neutral colors to match any scrubs she may wear. These are nice on cooler days. Also a nice pair of bandage scissors, are also very useful. A nice lunch bag is always needed. Good luck and tell her Congrats, she will be very happy with her career choice, I know I was. Never worried about being laid off EVER.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nekotish
clt3

My daughter is a new nurse and wears an Apple watch.

OutsidePlaying

Yes, an Apple Watch would be great if your budget allows. I would not buy scrubs but a gift card to her favorite store that sells them would be good. Hospitals often have certain colors for certain departments so depending on her job she may be limited to a color. Or yes to the shoes of her choice. My DD is very picky about both scrubs and shoes (hard to fit in shoes). DIL used to be on a transplant team and loved getting long underwear to wear under her OR scrubs. Always chilly.

chocolatesnap

How about a clothes washer with a Sanitize cycle :)

nekotish

So many good ideas - thank you! The t-shirts for under the scrubs is a great idea and I will look into getting her personalized pens. I will definitely get her a gift certificate for a massage; I can see that being a nice treat. She has always been hard to buy for as she doesn't wear any jewelry and has very specific likes. This has been most helpful.

Save    
nicole___

I used to run with nurse friends. They had to take so many classes to retain their RN certification. Taking massage classes qualified. To pass the different kinds of massage classes, some with hot rocks, some deep massage....they needed practice. They posted on the cork board at the hospital for guinea pigs. FREE massages....all the time...volunteering for students. :0)

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Custom laser engraved copy of her diploma. We had these for all of ours. They were gifts and they were greatly appreciated. Very nice gift. Look great on the wall. Some examples. There's a lot of companies to choose from.

https://www.laserengravedmemories.com/en/custom-diplomas/

nekotish

Raven, I have never seen those - they are a lovely keepsake. I will look into those for both my daughters, thank you.

Save    
maire_cate

If you do purchase a stethoscope you may want to have it engraved with her name. Stethoscopes have a tendency to 'walk' and that may be one way to id hers.

Elmer J Fudd

This is another "ask first" situation in my mind. Depending on where she works, she may not have a need for a good stethoscope. A lot of medical facilities, including doctor's offices, use automated blood pressure cuffs and stethoscopes aren't needed or used.

Save    
maddie260

Stethoscopes are used for much more than blood pressure readings. They are used to listen to heart sounds, breath sounds, etc. A good stethoscope is a great thing. And, yes, they tend to walk way.

nekotish

She has an entry level stethoscope that she needed for her practicum but wants to wait to see what other RNs recommend before purchasing a better one. All nurses in our region have stethoscopes and use them frequently.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Okay and thanks, fair enough about other stethoscope uses.

My kids are a bit older and have multiple diplomas - none of them are hanging on a wall in any form. You may want to ask if one of these plaques would interest her.

1 Like Save    
cherryfizz

My nurse sister would have said another stethoscope. Someone was always nicking hers wether it be another nurse. doctor or patient.

jewels_ks

My dd has been a nurse for about 1.5 years. I bought her a necklace and an apple watch. She had borrowed her sister's apple watch and knew it was the way to go. Jewelry stores have medical themed necklaces. My gf made her a jeweled clip to put on her stethoscope so it is identifiable.

Kathsgrdn

After one of my stethoscopes turned up missing, I had my name engraved on the new one. Months later I found my old, bright pink one in a back equipment room, thrown over a piece of equipment. I still don't know who took it. And those of you who said nurses use stethoscopes a lot are correct. In the hospital you have to do a head to foot assessment and chart everything afterwards, heart, lungs, bowels...have even listened to bruits on patients with a fistula.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Gift Giving the Simple-ish Way
If buying holiday gifts drives you to the spiked holiday punch, try these easier but still rewarding traditions
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Treasuring the Gift of Grandparents
You can enrich your family life by bringing generations together for shared meals, quilting projects, storytelling
Full Story
Life Thank U 4 the Gr8 Gift: How to Send Thanks in the Digital Age
We click open invitations and RSVP via text, but a handwritten thank-you is sometimes still best. Here's how to tell
Full Story
Nova Installations Inc. Chantilly, VA specializes in exterior home improvements, such as replacement windows and... Read More
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More