SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

Decorating around this wallpaper???

pensivern
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m starting to redecorate my DR (the 4 th time in 26 yrs) to flow with the rest of my recently updated center hall Colonial. I’m stuck with my oak Queen Anne DR set- I can’t even GIVE it away- no one wants this style anymore.

Anyway, I’d like to lighten up the room, give it some personality with a more current wallpaper atop my wainscoting which I'll be painting a truer white. I like this pattern ( grey and white Ogee) but wondering what I could do for drapes and cushion fabric on my seats. I’d like to do 2 upholstered parson chairs as well on the ends of the table.
Here’s the paper in my DR , and pictured in the book.... and some pics of the current room looking into my kitchen.

Comments (74)

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hired a painter for the wainscoting as my current color is Antique white- too yellow. The wallpaper background is a very crisp white. Are you all saying the white wouldn’t look good but a griege would?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Greige

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I see Beverly's point now with these new pictures! In the book picture, the glaze on the wainscotting does make the pairing more harmonious.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Good grief. I ALSO said perhaps keep the LOWER portion only. My impression is the op is no longer all that enamored with the "brown furniture match " .......

She mentioned indigo in her scheme, It's also on her valance in the kitchen. I think the light paper, ...........I will admit my heart doesn't skip a beat. It's often nice to pull a secondary color from the remainder of the house, and jolt a separate space alive. Dark rooms can be gorgeous, look larger, absorb dark furniture, are a foil for crystal and metals, especially warm metals, and candle light. And art.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There does not appear to be any glazing on the pic of the wainscoting in the actual book- I’m looking at it now, not through a lens.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Sorry but I think the scale of the wallpaper is too large for your space. I like the concept but just think something similar but smaller would work better.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan, it’s just that I’ve had a dark DR for years with the BM peanut shell paint atop the wainscoting and I’m yearning for an all around lighter look.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suzy, the scale is one aspect I love about it-smaller prints sometimes look too busy and dated once applied to the wall.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Are you keeping the mirror and table between the windows? If not, is it possible to extend the curtain rods a bit? I'm not sure if that's possible near each corner of the room. But it would give you more room for stack back.

Ikea, West Elm, and Crate + Barrel all have light grey linen panels, which I think would work well with the wallpaper and new chair fabric. Ikea's Aina linen curtains look lovely and are a deal.

For something with some more oomph, I would also take a look at Ballad Designs. There is this,

Bordered Linen Drapery Panel, grey with white,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/bordered-linen-drapery-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/484821?listIndex=13&uniqueId=484821

And also some panels with decorative edging and some fairly subtle prints, like the Le Lattis Embroidered Drapery Panel,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/le-lattis-embroidered-drapery-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/412834?listIndex=10&uniqueId=412834

Also at Ballard, these block print-style damask panels in yellow, which I think would tie in the chair fabric well,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/bingham-printed-damask-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/229447?listIndex=0&uniqueId=229447

You could also get the Ikea Aina linen curtains and add decorative trim tape, maybe something with a bit of black and some yellow.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I think it’s just the lighting in the photo- the wainscoting in the pic looks very white to my eye in person.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I admit I'm a paper snot/ brat. I don't want it, unless it makes my heart skip a beat............: ) It has to be something that either eliminates the need for art, or so simple, it doesn't deny art, meaning a texture. You've ruled out grass cloth, which in a pale tone could be sensational and a big update to the traditional furniture. I just think, I'd have a hard time gluing much else other than sensational to the walls. It's just me

• doods
    4 years ago

Bev's rendering with the wainscotting painted light grey to match the wallpaper pattern is lovely! By the way love your chandelier, and dining room furniture including the hutch it is beautiful and classy, and classic! I too rearranged my hutch so that it does not have any plates standing on their edge, gives it a much more modern look.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bev, all those premier print fabrics you posted....did you mean those for drapes? which ones do you think wouldn’t fight with the wallpaper ?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yes, the hutch will be emptied of my bone China and filled with simpler, fewer items in more complimentary colors

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

What color are the current drapes? I think painting/papering the room will make a huge difference.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I absolutely love Beckysharp's curtain panels suggestions!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I was thinking of the small prints for chair upholstery. Let me think about drapes now.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

There is either a glaze on the lower wall or it's been Photoshopped and altered

How do you plan to approach art for the walls?

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

I thought there might not be enough room for the pattern to repeat between the wainscot and crown moulding and over the doors and windows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Pattern repeat is 12.6"

Here is Becky's Ballard Border Drape

A plain linen to contrast the wallpaper could work.

pensivern thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bev, I suppose I can add a glaze to the white wainscoting after the paper is up if it looks like it’s lacking.

4 years ago

Thanks, Bev. I didn't have time to grab, save, and post pics today : ) .

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all- love the drapes from Ballards. I will have a sea of grey and white though ( and brown of course)- suggestions for adding a 3 rd color for interest? Mustard? Navy? I guess that will be brought in as art work and China cabinet items. So you think the upholstered Parsons chairs should be done in white or grey?

4 years ago

I've never been a fan of grey and mustard together, but I've always loved blue, and I think a bright navy, or a darker brighter blue, would look lovely and perk things up. I'd also consider coral if you like it.

Also, I'm an old fuddy duddy and hate the idea of treating art and chinaware as purely decorative items, rather than items acquired because one loves them and they speak to you; do you like and use the items in your china cabinet? Do you have a sentimental attachment to them? If so, I would keep them there, because there's a huge difference with a magazine spread (for which a lot of staging is done) or catalogue shoot, and a dining room in regular use. I could see a large dark blue, or blue and white, tureen or vase for the table. Are you keeping both mirrors and both smaller tables in the room?

If you go with navy, I'd do the Parsons chairs in that. More practical, too : ) .

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Not sure about the Parsons chairs but I think the colour needs to be repeated in the other chairs. Speaking of which, the current print on them looks quite nice. How well does it look with your wallpaper choice? Can't see the colours well. Does the fabric need to be replaced?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, the dining chair seats need to be recovered- they are a cream, yellow-tan, brown and pale blue stripe- they were covered to coordinate with the rug ( shades of oatmeal, rust and pale blue- grey)- it all most definitely does not go with the wallpaper. I was considering painting the buffet ( which I picked up from Craig’s list for $40) black, but now I’m thinking navy. I’m somewhat handy with chalk painting furniture although I’d never take on my DR set- much too major a headache!

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chair seat and rug- the drapes are a coppery silk.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I suggested mustard because I have pops of it in my other rooms

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like your wall art suggestions Bev, but already have a wall of botanicals in my sitting room

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

How do your curtains look with your new wallpaper choice because if you go with navy, copper and navy are lovely together.

For art, if you're looking for online inspiration beyond Etsy and eBay, these sites might have something that appeals:

Tappan Collective

https://www.artinteriors.ca/

https://20x200.com/

Citizen Atelier

Daily Paintworks (small pieces but could inspire in terms of style or artist discovery)

Exhibition A

Don't forget that plenty of artists welcome commissions so if you find an artist whose style you love and have something in mind, reach out to them.

4 years ago

pensivern, in terms of art, where do you live? And what do you like? For example, wondering if maybe some prints of various corals, or birds, or historical architecture, etc would work.

Kerri Shipp in Australia has some nice things,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/driftwoodinteriors

and there are similar items in other Etsy shops. I also like to use old calendars (I buy them on sale after the new year) or remaindered art books -- you can find all sorts of subjects.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Btw, I showed my husband the pic in the wallpaper book and he said “ it’s either photoshopped or a shadow- it’s too perfectly lined to be glazing”

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I think the point is your wainscotting might not have the same look and you might be disappointed with the effect. As you said though, you can always glaze it if that's the case.

Another thread reminded me of another art site. You can filter by style, subject, price, colour, etc.: Saatchi Art - Still Life paintings Becky's idea of calendars and art books is a good one as well.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, my current wainscoting isn’t glazed, but the wood panels look outlined from a short distance away/ it’s created by the shadow of the ridges. I think whatever color I paint it, it’ll still have shadows creating the illusion of glazing. When Bev first insisted it was glazed, I thought she meant the flat white surfaces, not the inner trims which I didn’t really notice- nowI see what she means.... the shadows make the interior moldings look outlined.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yes- coffee table book pages can make great artwork for the wall!

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, wainscoting painted and wallpaper is up! I really like it it but my oak Queen Anne DR set looks awful with it- and my light fixture needs to go. Any suggestions for light fixtures that would jive well with this look? Here’s one I like:

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

"But my oak Queen Anne...."

That all would have , could have, should have....... come before the paper? :)

Just one reason we ask for pics of the existing space,

Because it's your MONEY!

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

OP provided pics of their existing space, Jan. OP, I doubt your set looks awful with the paper but I'd have to see it to know. Is it the contrast you don't like? How about a proper pic of the whole room?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Uhm, Jan, if you scroll up you'll see pics of my room and furniture as well as your suggestions to make the current DR furniture work. Tartanmeup,, I knew when I ordered the wallpaper-which I chose because I loved it and it flows well with my kitchen, that I probably wouldn't like my DR set with it. I wasn't about to choose a paper that went well with a dated set whose style I tired of a good 5 years ago (I bought it 28 yrs ago). I've been trying to sell the set but no bites. At this point I'd give it away so I might donate it somewhere. Thoughts on the light fixture?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love this look

4 years ago

The paper looks great.

I'd wait on the light fixture until you get the table and chairs right. What are you looking for, for table and chairs?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, a more rustic look trestle type table perhaps and maybe at least 2 parsons chairs

4 years ago

That style chandelier, aside from not looking particularly rustic, also seems too vertical and not horizontal enough for placement over a table. I'd look for something wider, and perhaps with wooden beads rather than crystal ones.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Which chandelier are you referring to- the one in my inspiration pic or the one I posted separately. They both have wooden beads- the first one I pictured (alone )is 30” wide, so it’s more horizontal.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really love your first suggestion!

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I’m making progress with the room, sold my Queen Anne set and bought new table and chairs. My husband hung this mirror today and I’m wondering if I should spray paint my sconces a silvery hue or does a touch of brass work? I realize I’ll have to adjust their position as the holes were previously there .

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Consider removing the crystals from the chandy and painting it and the brass sconces black. Every room can use a touch of black.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m actually waiting on my new chandelier to come in- it’s wooden beaded, weathered white