SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrakriz

Need advice with kitchen counters and backsplash, please

debrakriz
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'd love some feedback with replacing my kitchen countertops, island top, and backsplash. When I built my home 22 years ago I selected white ceramic tiles with additional Luna Garcia handmade tiles interplaced in the backsplash and green Luna Garcia handmade tiles on the freestanding island.

I'm going to keep our lovely maple cabinets and sandstone floors and I want the new look to flow with the rest of the house. (I'll also have someone lightly sand and refinish the cabinets since some of them are a bit damaged from wear-and-tear.)

Of major importance is durability and ease of care because certain members of my household don't remember to wipe up spilled wine, tomato sauce, water, or cut lemon. And certain members of my household have sometimes been known to put a pot directly from the oven onto the counter or do a quick slicing job without benefit of a cutting board. As you see, I need a countertop that will do its best to stand up to abuse. :)

I've been thinking about quartzite, slate, soapstone or granite for the countertops and perhaps a cooler version of a subway-tile-like backsplash. I don’t want a white or busy countertop and I’ve been leaning toward some softer black quartzite or granite since it feels ‘warmer’.

Also, from what I’ve read neither soapstone or slate would be good for us since they require more maintenance than quartzite or granite?

I'm keeping the "putty green" of the kitchen breakfast nook because it is interspersed throughout the house as accent color (and I still like it).

I'm interested in your input from a practical aspect, from a design aspect, and from a color aspect. Thank you in advance for your time and letting me pick your brain.

Existing island and backsplash above stove

Existing tile and backsplash.

Maple cabinets and stone floors (keeping).

Breakfast nook in kitchen.

Comments (3)