SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
draiochtora

Mayday: Advice Needed Please: Paint colors, kitchen backsplash.

draiochtora
6 years ago

Hi,

I would so appreciate some advice and input on color /material choices for paint for our new apt as a new-to-this-game non-decorator.

Our small kitchen has a 5ft opening into a dining room which beyond has french doors into a living room so there is a through line with color and lighting. We have chosen a Silestone "charcoal soapstone" counter (I don't regret, I don't regret it, I don't regret it) and a Fine Paints of Europe WC-04 (off white/slightly creamy) cabinet color (it's not actually FPoE but the builder is mixing an equivalent that I cannot get a color match name for (eek)). The kitchen is cabinet heavy due to its small size and there is little empty wall space. The floors have been tiled with an encaustic cement 8 x 8's with a linen, cadet blue and off-white motif.

I would so appreciate advice on wall color and backsplash for the stove: I want to forego a tile on the wall and add a countertop- border up the wall for 3.5 inches. I am just not sure what to do about the backsplash above the stove. The taps are nickel and the hardware will be aged brass (I think - if the sale price I found lasts). The hood is being manufactured out of the same materials as the cabinets and will be painted. I have some subway hits tiles (with a wave) but they don't look right and I don't want to use them. The stove faces the opening into the dining room so the spotlight is on it and the my call out or advice on color and materials and also what color to paint the dining room?

I am wondering what to do about the door trim and walls (the little there is). Is there a general rule to follow, i.e., "walls should be two tones lighter than cabinets"....etc. I am demented with trying to figure this out!

I am also wondering about the rest of the apartment. Dark windowless hall and east/north facing rooms. Is there a good "neutral" paint scheme I could work with? Do I forego white trims and paint the trims the same color in appropriate finishes? Secretly, I want to paint the dining room which a Benjamin Moore Naragasset Green and the living room beyond that a Pink Bliss but then I think, get sense, this has got to last fifty years. Only kidding about the amount of time but we will be broke for a long time after this.

Any advice, help, let-me-tell-what-you-need-to do's welcome and gratefully appreciated.

Thanks so much.

D

Comments (2)