SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitney_laucherthomas

Front Yard Needs Help (What do I do with this open space?)

We are about to begin remodeling our kitchen and putting in new flooring but my front yard is just painful to look at. Two issues in particular I could use some advice on:

1. Extra parking/RV pad to the left of the house/driveway: It's not paved, just hard packed dirt, some gravel and a huge tree root (just below the surface). It's slightly sloped as well. At some point when we redo the driveway pad we'll do this section as well but in the meantime any suggestions for how to make it nicer to look at? It does have a driveway and we like to use it for additional parking when needed but I'd also like to put something green in there and clean it up a bit and make it a useful space. Our street gets lots of walkers and most everyone is friendly and likes to stop and chat. I'd love to make it a place to pull out some chairs for impromptu gatherings with neighbors who walk by.. Behind the big double gate are our garbage and recycling bins so we need to be able to access that space. It could probably fit two small cars side by side in that space but we really only need space for one.
  2. Walkway from sidewalk to front door: The previous owners used a bunch of different types of stepping stones and rocks in the front yard and not only does it look sloppy, it looks uninviting (see the circled areas on pic). That low hedge along the path to the front door (see arrows pointing to it on pic) is very drought tolerant and slow growing so we've just left it but the gophers have gotten to it and I'm going to probably have to pull all of it out as they've recently chewed up a bunch of it and it looks messier than ever.

Does anyone have any recommendations for improvements? I lean toward modern landscaping. (NOTE: I also hate our fake shutters and the posts under the front awning so if anyone has any suggestions along those lines I'm open!)

Comments (7)