SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_engelman

Where tile meets tile - any ideas?

Lauren E
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! I have a bit of a design conundrum involving where tile is slated to meet tile in my master bath reno.

See photo, I'll also describe:

• You walk-into the shower (no door) on an angle and to the left is a dry-off type of area with a bench.
  • To the right is where the actual shower is.
  • In front of the long blue wall, making up the other side of the shower is a shorter pony wall (2 ft. or so) that will be tiled. Frameless glass from that little short wall to the ceiling.

My problem is as follows: on the vanity wall from vanity to ceiling we are putting in the 2x2 marble mosaic. Around the entire shower we are putting a 4x12 subway tile. Right where I have the red arrow is where the tile will meet as the wall is shared. I don't want to butt up the tile.

I didn’t want to NOT tile the area above the bench with the subway as I thought that would look odd (I didn’t want to just have a painted wall there)….so I want to tile the entire shower area all the way around.

Initial thoughts/fix:

Have the guys build out the vanity wall by 4-6 inches to that it creates a visual separation, making the bench tile wall look slightly recessed. However, due to space, that can't really happen. It would bump the cabinets out too much and would intrude on the angled walk-in area.

GC Suggestion:

Put a sheet of drywall or two on top of the vanity wall (floor to ceiling) to build it out a bit. It will probably only come out 1.5-2”. TO ME, I think that is still so short a distance that to the eye it will look like the marble mosaic and the subway just butt up to one another.

Any other great ideas? :)

Note: Flooring in a neutral brown Pergo/wood-look.

Comments (24)