SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Where different countertop materials meet: any pictures, ideas?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

Hi,

I want to use wood countertops everywhere except on the wall the sink will be on. (I think it's best to avoid wood around the sink.) I'll probably use marble for that countertop. The problem is that on the right end of this run there's an L-turn, and the perpendicular run of cabinets (which has the range in the middle of it) will have wood counters.

But I have a few concerns. First of all, I'm afraid it just might not look good! Also, wood counters are usually thicker than marble ones, so I think it might also look funny from the front where they butt up against each other. Other concerns are that it might be hard to get the two to meet at a perfect angle (to form a straight seam), and that the seam will tend to collect dirt.

The only idea I can think of to avoid this is to make one counter higher than the other, the height difference being the thickness of the countertop. (Since I'm building the cabinets I can make them any height.) If I were to do this, which counter (around sink, or around stove) should be higher? Because of the kitchen's layout, I think it would LOOK better for the sink wall's to be higher, but I don't know if one makes more sense than the other functionally.

What do you think? Is it better to keep the heights the same, or have one higher, both from a functional and aesthetic point of view?

Are there any other ways to address this that I haven't thought of? Lastly, do any of you have pictures you could post of this situation?

I'd appreciate any help -- Thank you!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH