SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Countertops of different materials

ideagirl2
13 years ago

Has anyone seen kitchens with countertops of two different materials where the two materials actually touch? That is, where it's not a different material on an island, but, say, material 1 along one wall and then, at the corner, it switches to material 2 down the next wall. Can that look good?

Here's why I'm asking: I love love love the look and feel of walnut countertops. *However*, I'm a little leery of the extra work that might be involved in having wooden countertops next to the sink, especially because we only have room for a small sink (24" or so) and after big cook-fests I sometimes leave a pan or two full of water sitting on the counter beside the sink (because the sink is already full of other pans full of water).

So what I'm wondering is if we could have a soapstone countertop along the whole sink wall (which is about 10.5 feet), but walnut counters running up to it on both the adjacent walls. To help you picture this, our kitchen layout isn't an "L" or a "U" but actually more like a square with a missing corner: a counter along the north-facing wall, a counter along half of the east and west walls, and then a peninsula coming out of the west wall. (There will be a little banquette and table in the southwest corner of the kitchen, on the other side of the peninsula from the main work area). The sink and DW are on the north wall, with the range on the west wall.

So I'm just wondering if it looks weird to have two different countertop materials meet at a corner... Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (3)