SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Tile seal where it meets reglazed tub... order of work question

cinnamonsworld
13 years ago

I am leaning strongly toward having my old cast iron tub reglazed a different color in my bathroom redo, and am wondering about the order that work should proceed in to ensure that the seal works well between the edge of the granite tile for the bath enclosure and the reglazed tub, and that it looks as good as possible.

In short, I am wondering if it would be best to demo the old tile, reglaze the tub and *then* have the granite tile installed (protecting the body of the tub during tile work with tyvek and cushioning underneath while work progresses, using blue painters' tape to adhere that).

(The bonus of this order of work is that we get to see what the initial reglazing looks like and if it's really not up to par, we have the option of ripping out the tub and buying new before the tile work proceeds.)

If instead we have retiling done first, what should they do about the bottom tiles where they meet the top of the tub ... is there any issue in using the usual silicon sealant that would leave some visible line... such that it would be better to not seal, have reglazing done and then seal? (Or, what? I could imagine issues with that procedure too.)

Thanks

PS for those interested, as to the reglazing choice: While I've heard about the durability of reglazed tubs being an issue, it would be OK if we had to have (and could have) spot reglazing done every year or two. We've got a great, deep old cast iron tub (5'x30") that is fit very closely into the alcove but with not much rim space at all. All the other cast iron tubs I see that have nice depth are going to be a little wider ... and very expensive... and I'd prefer cast iron to Americast and do not want acrylic. No matter what we got new, I think there could well be some issues with needing to recenter the plumbing, possibly losing the right-hand ledge altogether due to width even on the 30" wide tubs etc.

Comment