SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Rose Yves Piaget

katyajini
4 years ago

This rose has been around for awhile. I seem to remember that people found it to bloom very little and not a pretty plant. But the fragrance is outstanding.

Is anyone growing or has grown this rose? How is it for you? Do you like it? What is the habit like? And really, does it bloom profusely? That is what is said on the Regan website with a bush completely covered with blooms. I would love to know once again how it is in home gardens.

I think it balls though?

Comments (45)

• roseseek
    4 years ago

I grew it in a client's garden in Valencia, CA where balling was seldom an issue, but yes, this one did it. If you get one, make sure it's budded. Even on artificial roots, it isn't the most vigorous of plants and it can easily have black spot issues where it's susceptible to the prevailing strains. DON'T PRUNE IT HARD and allow it to build to a decent size and it will flower like a weed. Those large, very full flowers require a lot of water and food, so don't skimp.

katyajini thanked roseseek
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks roseseek! When you say dont prune it hard, do you mean just remove dead, diseased and broken canes and then leave it alone right (in spring)? And do this for the first couple of years or always? Do you trim some the stems down too and deadhead?

• Related Discussions

Some old roses from around the garden

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank You miss flippins - I love my Full Sail, it's one rose I could probably not be without. It certainly loves the warmer weather, most of my spring blooms just balled, the fragrance is so heavenly I forgive it that little problem :o). Niecey Thank You - yes Happy Chappy does bloom almost non stop, the blooms last for a long time as well. Thank you Florence & Leslie - I certainly enjoy my garden and so does my DH & the kids, the neighbours like coming by to take a look as well and I had a young teenage couple come by and ask me about the roses one day, which was great! He asked if he could have a rose to take to her mom - which I thought was so sweet :o) Aprille
    ...See More

Janice Kellogg

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks everybody! It's very sad but I have to say that I don't have my Janice Kellogg anymore. We moved to new house in December and JK was (like hundreds of other roses) potted, waiting to be planted. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. I will be looking for a replacement rose probably next spring - I still have too many to plant right now. I can not report on how it takes the heat and sun because at the old place I had her potted in a bright shade. Marina
    ...See More

Yves Piaget

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, I have been trying to locate the rose Yves Piaget. I did try to get one from France but the Postage was considerably more than the roses and caused a sharp intake of breath. Does anyone know of a rose nursery in the UK that may propagate the Romanticas? Thanks, I'm now off to read old posts.
    ...See More

Some old and some new....

Q

Comments (13)
    Just lovely! I just got Wedding Bells this passed spring and I'm very impressed with it. It blooms constantly and the blooms take days and days to open so they last very long on the bush. I usually cut my flowers to bring them inside, but on wedding bells they last so nicely on the bush that I've been leaving them. This is one rose I wish I would have tried sooner.
    ...See More
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

It really started to develop into a decent bush when I began simply snapping off the dead flowers. It's "Tea-like" in that it greatly benefits from a lot of older wood to draw from each spring. It has a very angular growth habit, not really pretty, but when you have several dozen of those flowers opening, who looks at that? That's how it was in the mid Southern California desert. How it will be where you are, I couldn't begin to suggest.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you again roseseek. That's a very informative clue, that it wants a lot of old wood to draw energy from. There is so much detail to know. I am so grateful to you and others who are as gracious and knowledgeable.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

You're welcome! Why shouldn't we all be?

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Yves Piaget is grown in a public rose garden near my mom’s house in inland NorCal, which I visit several times a year. It wasn’t the most vigorous or free blooming. The fragrance was decent , but not exceptional. I’m always looking for my next extremely free blooming and fragrant rose, this one did not measure up.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Lisa! You always give such complete reviews. The flower is so impressive, so beautiful, the bush is not. I have to give it a second thought. Maybe tucked in the middle of a bed. At least you like it.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Or, allow White Pet to grow up and through it. That combination was awful to clean out annually, but the huge clusters of small, scented blush to white flowers poking up through Yves was spectacular and hid his bare, angular, thorny bottom sides.

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Wow Lisa! I completely forgot that YP was a dark pink color like yours when I first planted it last year.

This year it's a medium pink but I like it!

Thanks for the lovely pic Lisa!

Ann

katyajini thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a thread by a forum member that offers a beautiful visual of form and size of similar pink roses

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5284693/comparing-a-few-dark-purple-y-pink-red-roses-that-hold-color-well

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have never thought of growing White Pet roseseek. I want to look into that!

• roseseek
    4 years ago

You're welcome! It grew in this garden because it was the rose her daughter carried in her wedding bouquet. Allowing White Pet to "eat it" turned the whole plant into a huge bouquet.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

I haven't been able to overwinter it in zone 5 on several tries even with maximum protection. That means that in zone 6 you're likely to have to prune off a lot of it in the spring because it's not fully cane hardy even for you. Given Kim's remarks, YP might sulk at that treatment. It doesn't mean not to try it - I grow several teas that don't like the drastic pruning every year but they survive. Just don't expect the kind of exquisite blooms you see from warmer zones.

Cynthia

katyajini thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

roseseek, if I do end up doing what you suggest, how close are you planting White Pet? Are you planting them both at the same time in the same whole? Or offset by a few inches? Would this work if you decide a couple of years later to add another rose bush to hide the ungainly bottom part? That would hurt a lot of the roots of YP right?

I have in mind some roses with small blooms: sweet chariot, lyda, the faun and maybe even blue for you. Would any of these work too? I am not putting aside WP. Just thinking with you.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

In the Zone 9b, mid desert climate (simply noted to give you information about speed and size of growth due to heat and endless summer conditions), White Pet was planted about 18" from the crown of Yves. I hadn't planted them but took over the maintenance of the garden after they were mature in place. After a particularly wet winter, everything exploded and I permitted WP to eat the center of Yves. It was a maintenance nightmare but it was gorgeous! I couldn't dead head WP without significant blood loss so I simply blew them off with the hose and all the plants loved it. Between WP on one side and lamb's ears on the other, there wasn't a bare bottom to Yves to have to hide. They did it for me. (I hadn't planted the lamb's ears, either, as I HATE them, but you go with what you inherit until you can provide better ideas. Fortunately, they froze out during an extreme winter. I prefer planting things together to avoid cutting up roots and triggering both root stock forests and crown gall.

Lyda Rose isn't small, but can become a climber. Sweet Chariot, in my climate, can grow to four by four feet in the ground. Blue for You, even own root, is a five to six feet by equal spread, here. White Pet was perfect because the foliage was dense and clusters large and bright, making it the perfect "baby's breath" filler in the Yves Piaget bouquet. You want not only small flowers, but dense, shorter growth. I don't know what would fit that description in your climate but White Pet was perfect and should be there, too, I would think.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    4 years ago

I've seen Yves Piaget grown as a standard in Sunset Zone 17, coastal Northern California less than a mile from the bay (near my mother's house), so cool and humid all year round. What a glorious tree it was, about 8 feet tall, densely branched and covered with enormous flowers as large or larger than a grapefruit, ruffled and as scented as you could hope a rose to be. I forgot to bring my phone to take a photo, unfortunately. At least the owners had left the tag on the plant so I had a certain ID. So at least in this climate, Yves Piaget can do very well. Unfortunately, the last time I went to see it, the owners had pruned it to about 6" stubs on top of the standard trunk, and I haven't gone back since. Maybe they have to do that to keep it in control? Whatever they do, it was unforgettably glorious.

katyajini thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Oliver (SF 9A)
    4 years ago

Is yves piaget disease resistant? Powder mildew and rust are my biggest enemy here in sf.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Katya, I don't want to go too OT, but have you checked out the rose, Leonardo da Vinci? It seems similar to Yves, and is a Meilland Romantica with continuous bloom, so HMF says. To me, it looks a lot like Yves. It came out later than Yves, but both roses have about the same number of "favorite" votes on HMF. So, all you knowledgeable friends who have already posted on this thread, how would you compare these two roses? Which, in your opinion, is the better rose? I've thought I wanted to grow Leo, but am still procrastinating about it. Diane

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nana, you are never OT with me. I just spent some time looking up LdV. It is a beautifu, beautiful, rose both in form and color. But I don't think it looks like YP and its not very fragrant. I havent yet decided what I am going to do regarding YP.

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 years ago

Katya -- I have a new-ish Yves Piaget -- the first year the rabbits ate all the new growth, and it struggled. I moved it, and it took a while to settle in. then this last summer and fall it's finally put on the show I was waiting for. Lisa's experience is similar to mine -- it goes a bit between flushes, but then it's covered with simply stunning blooms. And the scent is really wonderful. I'm on a hunt for a second rose to increase the bounty. The blooms have lasted quite a long while for me on the bush. This last flush some nasty little worms disfigured several buds, so I didn't put any in a vase -- so can't say how long they last in a vase. On the bush? well over a week now! The form is not gorgeous, but not really objectionable. I have other plants nearby - it's in a cottage garden kind of setting. I've not had any balling. I'm in Santa Barbara -- so not a super dry climate most of the year. And a lot of May Gray and June Gloom. The blooms have also stood up to our crazy devil winds here. So, yes, I'm a fan. But if I can't find another YP this year, I'd like another similar rose that is huge, long-lasting, and quite fragrant.

katyajini thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Deborah! The blooms are indeed unique, at least uncommon, in a sumptuous way. I havent found grafted YP, I am on the lookout. Let you know. :) Good to know YP is not destroyed by some humidity. If you think of a huge, long lasting and fragrant (and pink?) rose please let us know what you are thinking!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Hi Deborah, I think Hortico might have YP grafted on multiflora, if you're looking for another plant. As far as another huge, long lasting, and fragrant rose, try Augusta Luise. I got mine about seven years ago from Hortico, and she has grown into a gorgeous plant, 5-6'X7'. She blooms in definite flushes here, and those blooms are to die for. They hold up well in heat here. I can't speak for other climates. Diane

katyajini thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nana, Hortico does not have YP at the moment! I wish. I am waiting till next year to get AL which I learned of from you!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

Nana, in answer to your question for cold zone gardeners, Leonardo da Vinci is wayyyyy better a rose for cold climates. It's huge - perhaps 6 feet or more and blooms in regular flushes. I can't detect fragrance but I rarely can anyway so don't judge anything by that. YP doesn't survive in our zone, but LdV blooms pretty regularly in part shade and crappy conditions.
    Cynthia

katyajini thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Cynthia, handy info on LdV!

Deborah, I asked Regan who lists YP but is out of stock right now. They wont be able to get any more this season, maybe next year. There are some very large pink roses that I come across but I am afraid to suggest anything as I know so little!

4 years ago

Thanks all -- I made some rash decisions and bought 3 new pink ones via Regan's. Scentuous, Julie Andrews (2020), and Princesse Charlene de Monaco. I'm usually a lot more into the research. Yikes! Diane -- I tried Augusta Louise last year, but I had to commit to 3 roses to get any shipped to me and I couldn't decide. By the time I finally tried to place the order, they were sold out of AL! And we're talking 24 hours -- not days or weeks of dithering. Ah well. Maybe next time. I must be in a very pink frame of mind. Years ago I had a book that had color swatches in it -- you were supposed to lay out the colors from most preferred to least preferred, and then you could psycho-analyze yourself based on the color choices. I think pink had to do with living in fantasy land, be naive, etc. Oh well. Welcome to my fantasy world! ;-)

katyajini thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Deborah, Augusta is all over the map in color--that's one of the things I love about her. Good luck with your new roses. Julie Andrews (2020) looks gorgeous and I love Charlene. I don't know anything about Scentuous.

Thanks, Cynthia for more good news about Leo. I'm not worried about the cold, but I want a good reliable bloomer, and being able to take a bit of shade is also a plus.

Here's Augusta looking peachy. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

4 years ago

Diane

Scentuous is a new patented Tantau rose being introduced in the US by Certified Roses. Certified appears to have struck deals with Tantau and a number of other European breeders to sell their patented roses in the US. So several of us are hopeful that they are very successful with this effort and can bring us more European varieties.

katyajini thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

I will check out Scentuous, Ben, and thanks for the info. I'm going to check my Tantau catalog to see if it's listed under another name--I don't remember seeing Scentuous there. Diane

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

BenT, did you get Scentuous? Sounds nice. I considered it but since its so globular I wondered if it might ball.

4 years ago

I passed on Scentuous, might be a fine variety, medium-pink is not really my thing. But there are about 100 other Tantau roses I’d like to have, including this sport of Augusta Louise called Aquarell (pic from HMF):

katyajini thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • katyajini thanked roseseek
    4 years ago

photos of Yves Piaget -- keep in mind there was some nasty little worm disfiguring them a bit...

4 years ago

Diane - was that ONE bush of August Luise?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Ben, that solves the mystery. I've wanted Aquarell for several years. Thanks for the pic. I looked on HMF under Scentuous, and there were no photos. Tantau has done that before (changed names) such as Astrid Grafin van Hardenberg, which Palatine sells as Black Caviar (?). I want about 100 Tantau roses, too. But no room.

Deborah, that's a beautiful Yves Piaget. Yes, that's one bush of Augusta Luise, 6'X7'. Diane

• Christian
    4 years ago

Diane according to Edmunds’ scentuous was released in Europe as Gartenträume.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.40761.0

• nle3
    3 years ago

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho Augusta Luise is beautiful, and you took beautiful pix. I don't have space but I would get a tree rose Augusta Luise but no one offer it. By the way, do you have Yvett? Reagan offers it now.

• nle3
    3 years ago

katyajini Reagan have roses now including YP. S&H are expensive.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thank you nie 3. Palatine is the only source for Augusta Luise, and I don't believe they offer it in tree form. In my zone 7, AL is huge--about 7X7 feet and very vigorous, so I don't think she would work that well as a tree rose, but you never know. There are lots of Julia Child tree roses around, and my regular Julias are just as big as Augusta. Rose size depends on climate and a lot of other factors, I've learned. I don't grow Yves, but I think he's a great rose. I'm out of garden space right now. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Diane, that rose is beautiful!! I’m drooling.

• Al Mitchell Zone 5b Chicagoland
    3 years ago

Nice scent, but here in zone 5b was a wimpy specimen. Eventually, I introduced it to Mr Shovel. Mr. Shovel knew what to do, then Yves was no more.....