SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter

Terrible customer service ? Or is it me?

beaglesdoitbetter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We recently had our swimming pool closed for the season. This company has been opening/closing our pool for 3 years. This year, the son took over for the father.

When we opened our pool, they were supposed to come on X date (It was a Wednesday). We planned to clear the pool of leaves on the Tuesday before. They randomly showed up on a Monday. They subsequently charged us $65 extra for "excess leaf removal," which we paid w/o complaint b/c it was only $65.

Then they came to close the pool. In the past 3 years, we have placed a plywood board over the spa to prevent the cover from sinking in. It somewhat sagged the first year, but last year my husband bought a higher quality wood board at a cost of $50 to put over the spa.

They showed up on the wrong date again. I was not available to monitor the closing process. We subsequently received our invoice with a $100 charge for "lumber for spa."

We were very confused b/c we had the board and had never been charged this before. Turns out they randomly bought a different piece of wood and then cut up my husband's board for some reason to put underneath the wood they bought.

My husband was really angry b/c they did all of this w/o asking. And we're not even sure what happened to the board he bought. We called them to discuss the issue and the guy admitted he was "new to this" and said he was "just trying to do what was best" but "should have asked us first."

He then told my husband that we could either pay the $100 and he'd be willing to continue opening and closing our pool or he could subtract it and we should never call him again. Seems like a poor customer service decision b/c then he's not getting his $100 AND he's losing our business for life (which between opening & closing is around $1,000 per year).

I didn't particularly want to have to find a new pool company so I texted him and asked him if we could compromise by taking $50 off the bill (the cost of my husband's board that he ruined) and keep working with him in the future but with an understanding on both sides of exactly what was to be done and what the cost was.

He texted me back and said "I'm re-sending an invoice with the $100 taken off. Don't ever contact me again, I don't have the time to deal with such small matters."

Am I wrong or was he incredibly rude and in the wrong? And, also, he has our swimming pool on his company's profile page on Facebook even though he had nothing to do w/ the pool except opening and closing it. My husband thinks we should ask him to remove it and withhold payment until he does, but I'm not sure if that is justified or not. He never asked us if he could photograph the pool or asked us/ told us he was using it as his company's profile page.

So, what do you think. Should I leave it go and let him continue using the picture? And are we in the wrong about the $100 or was he? My husband thinks I should post a review, but I am most likely just going to let it go -- although I do feel this was terrible customer service...

Comments (31)