SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_791999867

granite install. is this normal?

4 years ago

Hi houzzers.

I’m hoping to get some insight on what’s within normal or acceptable guidelines for granite installation. We got granite countertops installed recently and I’m wondering if it’s normal to have a variance in overhangs throughout the kitchen and also a gap between the granite & the wall.

I also want to say that the company we chose did a laser template and uses a CNC machine to fabricate.

For instance, our peninsula has a 1 1/4” overhang and the sink wall that connects to the peninsula has a 1 5/8” overhang. So a little over 1/4” right next to each other. Then in other areas of the kitchen it varies as well from 1 1/4” to 1 1/2” and at the most being 1 3/4”.

Between the back wall and granite behind my sink run, there is a 1/4” gap down the whole wall getting slightly larger towards the very back corner.

From my understanding, between the laser and CNC machine these issues shouldn’t have happened. The laser template guy told me that the laser accounts for walls being off and that it cuts the granite so that it’s snug against the wall so this is why I’m confused...

I called the company and they said that they would come out and “build my wall out” so that there would not be a gap between my “eventually” tile backsplash and granite but I don’t understand if they use all this technology why should there be a gap in the first place? Or at least a gap this big? I’m extremely worried that if they build part of my wall out they’re going to make it looks worse when the backsplash gets installed because one part of my wall will extend out farther than the other. Also- they had no explanation for the overhangs being off and told me this was normal.

Why are two overhangs that are right next to each other over 1/4” difference?

Please tell me if this is normal and if I’m making a big deal out of nothing or if this is something to insist the company fix or re do. Thank you.

The one thing that they did do great is our seam. The seam looks wonderful and you cannot even tell it’s there...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH