SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_romito

Meyer lemon: round 2.

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Last year I was gifted with a Meyer lemon. Things were going well until I moved it inside for the winter. I live in the Chicago area. I did not know the proper procedure and things quickly spiraled out of control. I’m sure you could find the posts from last year. It was a total disaster. It eventually died after months of trying to revive it.

Anyways, I got myself another one! Again, doing well all summer but winter is looming ahead. I’ve been nervous from my last traumatic experience. I have been slowly integrating it inside. Trying to be careful. Do whatever I can do prevent inevitable lead drop. Welp, it’s already happening! AND I’m seeing yellowing of leaves too!

I want to re-pot before it too late so long story short and to get to the point... I need recommendations for:

1.) Soil.

I don’t want to mix my own. Sorry. I was thinking Dr Earth or FoxFarm but any brands you guys recommend for a Meyer lemon being moved inside and repotted?

2.) a pot!

I currently have it in a plastic container. There are holes in the bottom I attempted to make bigger but they don’t seem to be doing what there are supposed to as I don’t see much water flow out. I think I’m not getting good drainage or aeration.

3.) grow lights!?

I have some new tiny green lemons and see some more blooms just starting and would like to get lights so the plant doesn’t go dormant. I do have a south facing window but again, from last years experience, it’s just not good enough.

4.) mini greenhouse? Humidity?

my place is very dry, I do have humidifiers I can use but kinda looking for the whole set up. Also wondering about a fan since the air is pretty still. I don’t have a ceiling fan in the room it will be in.

5.) should I fertilize or water before or after repotting?

im sure there will be follow up questions but I think that may be it for now. Mostly the soil and lights. I’ll take any and all advice. I really want this one to thrive and at the very least, survive the winter!

Thanks to you all who tried to help last year and I’m really hoping will again!!! <3

Comments (16)