SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_yazvenko64

How many lemons to leave on 2' tall Dwarf Meyer Lemon?

Nina Yazvenko
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am new to citrus growing.

My husband really wanted to grow his own Meyer Lemons, so last autumn we bought a 2’ tall Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree. Since then, it has somehow survived, I have been troubleshooting numerous problems with it – from not having enough light November-April (we live in Seattle, had to get 2 grow lights), to various diseases and pests (spider mites, ants, magnesium deficiency, nitrogen deficiency, over-watering, fungus, and latest iron deficiency - which is why some leaves are slightly yellow, I'm dealing with it), and have accumulated enough plant fertilizers, salts, pesticides, and fungicides to rival my human medicine/vitamin collection. We grow it in the living room - 66F at night, 71F 7-8am and 6-10pm, 66F 8am-6pm; in front of large southern window (Nov-Feb we had under a week of total sunny days); with 26W and 36W blue/pink LED grow lights on it for 12-14h/day (while we are out of the house); with heating vents away from the tree.

As a result, it stopped dropping leaves, and managed to flower pretty prolifically Dec-Feb with half of all flowers having pistils, I paint-brush pollinated those, and now it has around 20 little lemons that are ¼”- 1” big. It has around 5 new flowers right now again. My parents, when coming over and marveling at the fact that there are in fact lemons on it, mention that we should remove some lemons to let at least some ripen. Should we remove any? How many should we leave? Does it matter where on the tree we leave them?

Also I didn't manage to re-pot the lemon before it started flowering, and it really needs re-potting into media that drains better. When should I do that? I really don't want to loose ripening lemons.

Comments (13)